Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

California Dreamin'

California Dreamin'

Old Nov 14th 2013, 3:57 am
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice
Default Re: California Dreamin'

Safeway deliver?!?! You have just cheered me up jo end! Thanks x
Old Nov 14th 2013, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zez
Safeway deliver?!?! You have just cheered me up jo end! Thanks x
The web site is a little tricky. Specials are usually from Wednesday through Tuesday so ordering on Tuesday for delivery on Wednesday may possibly not get you the specials so be careful. After you click on Just 4 U (Personalized Deals) and manufacturers coupons, you then need to click on My Card to get a list of those specials that have been assigned to your card.

Then when you click on Grocery Delivery, you have to search for those items and add them to your cart. After that, I then go through the Online Savings (Promotion Code Deals).

Safeway keeps a history of everything that you have ever purchased so then I Shop By History for most of the items that I want and finally I Shop By Aisle for anything that I may have missed.

When you check out, make sure you enter all the promotion codes from the online savings for free delivery and other online specials.

After you check out, you can make changes for up to about 8 hours before delivery but you can no longer add new promotion codes.

Just For U, manufactures coupons, and Buy One Get One Free are not shown in your totals but will be shown on the receipt when they deliver. Therefore usually I normally order about $200 to make sure I get the free delivery (not sure if that is necessary).

Last edited by Michael; Nov 14th 2013 at 5:06 am.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zez
Toby was due to go into Y3 and was in top set for everything, top reader in his class and scored 3c across the board at the end of y2. I think 3rd grade maths would have been right, but I think he'd have struggled in 3rd grade. They are much more strict on reading comprehension (for eg if they get the answer correct but forget the full stop its zero marks) and there is a lot more independent work with less teacher input. If he does work but his handwriting isn't up to scratch the teacher will deduct marks or simply remove it and he has to do it again. Sounds harsh but its worked for him and he's now much less "that'll do" and slap dash. I'm sure he would have coped in 3rd but probably wouldn't have been self disciplined or driven enough to do well and would not have been at the top of the class. As it stands he's consistently scoring above grade level which has helped his confidence as he settles in.

There is v little maths in Kindergarden. reading/phonics is too easy for Harriet, but the expectations on handwriting (correct size, on line etc) are much higher than she is used to so she is still learning.

Completely different emphasis...more rote learning and higher expectations. So 70% was acceptable in the UK for a maths task which was pitched quite high and they were practicing a new skill. Here less than 95% is no good, so more emphasis on getting the basics solid before they move on which I can see will have its own advantages in the future.

Waffle over, sorry!
Sounds like my son will be plenty stretched going into 3rd grade next year then, as when we attended parent interviews last month, the feedback was that he's doing really well overall, but can be a bit "slapdash" at times, lol!
Old Nov 14th 2013, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zez
Ooh, and check the vaccination requirements on your preferred school district website just in case they aren't standard
Thank you - I've found the form, and think the best thing is going to be to take this to our GP for them to compare against the children's records, because it's clear as mud to me!

http://206.110.20.201/downloads/educ...onLaw42012.pdf
Old Nov 14th 2013, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LeavingLondon
We moved to the Bay Area in July with our 6yr old twins (they'll be 7 in January). They had completed Year 1 in the UK and we put them in 1st Grade here. Academically they should be in 2nd Grade but we didn't want to put them in a situation where the oldest kid is 15 months older than them! At the start of term, both boys were tested on reading and were graded at 3rd grade level (that was the highest the teacher was allowed to test for). They are also at the top of their class for maths and spelling and writing. However, it'll be interesting to see where they fall once the other kids catch up. We are lucky insofar as their teachers recognise their abilities and give them more challenging work. My biggest issue with school is that it finishes at 2.30 every day and 12.15 on a Wednesday!

But they've settled in really well to their new surroundings and both they and I have made some really nice friends though school already including a few Brit mums and a bunch of New Yorkers (so sarcasm isn't a problem!)- almost everyone here is a "transplant" so we're all in the same boat so to speak!

Re vaccinations - we did all the boys' vaccinations in the UK - they were up to date with everything and had already had the chicken pox vaccine a few years back, so we did the Hep A/B and the TB Test. (My hubby and I also did our Hep A/B in the UK but did our TB Test in the US as part of our Green Card medicals).

Re shopping we buy our fish and meat, veg, fruit and deli type stuff at WholeFoods or Trader Joes. Regular branded stuff at Safeway (we have a nice one near us). I go every 1-2 days but to be honest, it gives me something to do!

I speak to my friends and family all the time - Viber, facetime, what's app, Skype and Google Voice - all from my cell phone so whilst it's obviously not the same as hanging out with them face to face, it makes life much easier.

Cars - we bought one car outright and the other we bought on finance once we arrived via the VW expat programe (to help build up our credit rating). We also did an AMEX Global Transfer as everyone here suggested.

DMV (DVLA) - go there as soon as get you SSN/arrive and book yourself in for the theory test then read the handbook they give you and download the DMV California app (not the free one) and keep practicing the test - it's really easy and then the wait for the actual driving test round here was 2 months after passing the theory (plus insurance goes down once you get your license)

I was worried about not living near my family and friends but it is what it is and quite quickly you'll meet mums through school who are in the same position as you and you help each other out.

My biggest learning curve here has been filling up my car. Have only one it twice in 2 months on my own (keep having to ask for help)

Can't think of anything else for the moment.... but hope it helps.
Thanks so much - that's really helpful info!
Old Nov 14th 2013, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Michael
Vons is not in the bay area but Safeway is (the parent of Vons) and Safeway does deliver. Even though I live across the street from a Safeway (a smaller Safeway), they deliver from one of the larger stores in the area so that there is complete selection of groceries.

If you order over $150 and select 5 items from a list of about 200 items (changes every week), delivery is free during a 1 hour window that you select. The are also "internet only" specials, "Just 4 You" specials, free items, and electronic manufacturer coupons.

Last time I had a order delivered, I saved $33 on "Just 4 You" and manufacturers coupons, $13.50 for internet specials, $53 on "card savings specials", 20 cents off per gallon at Chevron gas stations, and free delivery.

http://www.safeway.com/IFL/Grocery/Home

You need to sign up for a free Safeway card to get their "card savings specials", delivery, "internet specials", "Just 4 You" specials, electronic manufacturers coupons, and up to 20 cent off per gallon at Chevron stations.

This weeks free items are a 8-12 lb turkey (since it is thanksgiving), Greek mousse, 10 oz bag of tortilla chips, sardines, Rana pastas, and guacamole.
Thanks for all the detail - sounds really good, although I might just try out in store shopping for a bit, just for the experience!