Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cable/Comcast

Cable/Comcast

Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

TM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to all
Default Cable/Comcast

Moving to San Jose mid of next month (assuming all goes well at the embassy). we've already rented our place and my realtor told me I should just call up Comcast to get cable/broadband/phone done prior to arriving (she'd go to the house for the installation).
When I called into Comcast, they were 'very' friendly - we got right to the 'do you have a social security number?'. then it all went south; she said there was no way to do this before I'd arrived in the US.

Any ideas? can I do this before I leave for the US?

Thanks!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cable/Comcast

Originally Posted by TM_001
Moving to San Jose mid of next month (assuming all goes well at the embassy). we've already rented our place and my realtor told me I should just call up Comcast to get cable/broadband/phone done prior to arriving (she'd go to the house for the installation).
When I called into Comcast, they were 'very' friendly - we got right to the 'do you have a social security number?'. then it all went south; she said there was no way to do this before I'd arrived in the US.

Thanks!
give them your ITIN number
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
also, i wouldnt use any of those...... Dish network for TV, AT&T for internet and Vonage for phone.

Thats my choice.

Were you given an ITIN number when you applied for your visa? I had to go to the embassy 2 tax seasons ago for mine
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

There are ways to get it done but it involves you 'proving' your identity at a local currency exchange and possibly giving a large deposit which you get back after a year or so. Which is why you need to be in the country.
But they can usually come out with a day or two's notice and you should be too busy to watch tv at that time anyway. And there are free to air channels that you will be able to pick up if you like Frasier or Spanish/Chinese tv.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
There are ways to get it done but it involves you 'proving' your identity at a local currency exchange and possibly giving a large deposit which you get back after a year or so. Which is why you need to be in the country.
But they can usually come out with a day or two's notice and you should be too busy to watch tv at that time anyway. And there are free to air channels that you will be able to pick up if you like Frasier or Spanish/Chinese tv.
or get a freeview set top box for $50...
Got my coupon on the way from the government to get $40 off. Now i can put it in one of the spare rooms to get basic channels for my guests
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

TM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to all

great, thanks guys. freeview here we come!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

great, thanks guys. freeview here we come!
check out the HDTV tuners page on www.bestbuy.com . The freeview boxes are jusstandard def but there are no monthly fees and you can get a $40 coupon sent to your address before you get here to get the unit for close to nothing

www.dtv2009.gov for your coupon

Last edited by basementwaj; Feb 25th 2008 at 8:47 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're buying a TV when you get here, just make it has a Digital Tuner. The vast majority of the new ones do.

I bought one upon arrival, plugged it into the antenna and immediately got about 30 channels, inc numerous hi-def ones.

Here are a few cheapo ones, or pay more and get bigger:

http://www.walmart.com/search/browse...&catNavId=3996
Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

We ordered cable/internet/phone from Comcast the day we arrived and had it installed a couple of days later. That beat the SSN by a couple of weeks. It's definitely possible - I can see them running away when you're not yet in the country though.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:47 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Was going to say use anyone but Comcast as they're sh!te - nothing but trouble since day one but they have the monopoly where I live. But I suspect that someone's got a horror story to tell about any of the cable companies that are available in any given area. Still - giving Comcast a public thumbs-down makes me feel better at least!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Well that's part of the problem - I understand CC are the only one's servicing the area I'm moving to. I'm stuck with them even before I move there!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I am now on Comcast as I had a bad experience with Directv but I wish I'd stayed with them, it's costing me a lot more to have the same channels and the picture isn't as good. But at least I don't have to worry about the signal being out for days at a time every time there is a thunderstorm which is what happened with Directv.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's part of the problem - I understand CC are the only one's servicing the area I'm moving to. I'm stuck with them even before I move there!
There may be only the one *cable* company available in your market, but you should also have the choice of DISH Network or Direct TV.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Was going to say use anyone but Comcast as they're sh!te - nothing but trouble since day one but they have the monopoly where I live. But I suspect that someone's got a horror story to tell about any of the cable companies that are available in any given area. Still - giving Comcast a public thumbs-down makes me feel better at least!
aye, depends, it's been okay over here, but then RCN is a bag of spanners and Verizon haven't done this part of town yet etc....at least it ain't Adelphia, they were horrid up in Maine, but wasn't any choice where we lived...though much better than Dish, because they worked in crap weather
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
There may be only the one *cable* company available in your market, but you should also have the choice of DISH Network or Direct TV.
unless your renting, in which case you might not be allowed to plonk a dish on the roof...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.