British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cable/Comcast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cable-comcast-517122/)

TM_001 Feb 25th 2008 8:01 pm

Cable/Comcast

Moving to San Jose mid of next month (assuming all goes well at the embassy). we've already rented our place and my realtor told me I should just call up Comcast to get cable/broadband/phone done prior to arriving (she'd go to the house for the installation).
When I called into Comcast, they were 'very' friendly - we got right to the 'do you have a social security number?'. then it all went south; she said there was no way to do this before I'd arrived in the US.

Any ideas? can I do this before I leave for the US?

Thanks!

basementwaj Feb 25th 2008 8:06 pm

Re: Cable/Comcast

Originally Posted by TM_001 (Post 5982335)
Moving to San Jose mid of next month (assuming all goes well at the embassy). we've already rented our place and my realtor told me I should just call up Comcast to get cable/broadband/phone done prior to arriving (she'd go to the house for the installation).
When I called into Comcast, they were 'very' friendly - we got right to the 'do you have a social security number?'. then it all went south; she said there was no way to do this before I'd arrived in the US.

Thanks!

give them your ITIN number

basementwaj Feb 25th 2008 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by TM_001 (Post 5982335)

Thanks!

also, i wouldnt use any of those...... Dish network for TV, AT&T for internet and Vonage for phone.

Thats my choice.

Were you given an ITIN number when you applied for your visa? I had to go to the embassy 2 tax seasons ago for mine

chicagojlo Feb 25th 2008 8:16 pm

There are ways to get it done but it involves you 'proving' your identity at a local currency exchange and possibly giving a large deposit which you get back after a year or so. Which is why you need to be in the country.
But they can usually come out with a day or two's notice and you should be too busy to watch tv at that time anyway. And there are free to air channels that you will be able to pick up if you like Frasier or Spanish/Chinese tv.

basementwaj Feb 25th 2008 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by chicagojlo (Post 5982400)
There are ways to get it done but it involves you 'proving' your identity at a local currency exchange and possibly giving a large deposit which you get back after a year or so. Which is why you need to be in the country.
But they can usually come out with a day or two's notice and you should be too busy to watch tv at that time anyway. And there are free to air channels that you will be able to pick up if you like Frasier or Spanish/Chinese tv.

or get a freeview set top box for $50...
Got my coupon on the way from the government to get $40 off. Now i can put it in one of the spare rooms to get basic channels for my guests

TM_001 Feb 25th 2008 8:37 pm

great, thanks guys. freeview here we come!

basementwaj Feb 25th 2008 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by TM_001 (Post 5982505)
great, thanks guys. freeview here we come!

check out the HDTV tuners page on www.bestbuy.com . The freeview boxes are jusstandard def but there are no monthly fees and you can get a $40 coupon sent to your address before you get here to get the unit for close to nothing

www.dtv2009.gov for your coupon

hobbes79 Feb 25th 2008 9:31 pm

If you're buying a TV when you get here, just make it has a Digital Tuner. The vast majority of the new ones do.

I bought one upon arrival, plugged it into the antenna and immediately got about 30 channels, inc numerous hi-def ones.

Here are a few cheapo ones, or pay more and get bigger:

http://www.walmart.com/search/browse...&catNavId=3996

rew1000 Feb 25th 2008 9:34 pm

We ordered cable/internet/phone from Comcast the day we arrived and had it installed a couple of days later. That beat the SSN by a couple of weeks. It's definitely possible - I can see them running away when you're not yet in the country though.

tonrob Feb 25th 2008 9:47 pm

Was going to say use anyone but Comcast as they're sh!te - nothing but trouble since day one but they have the monopoly where I live. But I suspect that someone's got a horror story to tell about any of the cable companies that are available in any given area. Still - giving Comcast a public thumbs-down :thumbdown:makes me feel better at least! :)

TM_001 Feb 26th 2008 4:40 am

Well that's part of the problem - I understand CC are the only one's servicing the area I'm moving to. I'm stuck with them even before I move there!

chicagojlo Feb 26th 2008 3:05 pm

I am now on Comcast as I had a bad experience with Directv but I wish I'd stayed with them, it's costing me a lot more to have the same channels and the picture isn't as good. But at least I don't have to worry about the signal being out for days at a time every time there is a thunderstorm which is what happened with Directv.

meauxna Feb 26th 2008 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by TM_001 (Post 5983823)
Well that's part of the problem - I understand CC are the only one's servicing the area I'm moving to. I'm stuck with them even before I move there!

There may be only the one *cable* company available in your market, but you should also have the choice of DISH Network or Direct TV.

Bob Feb 26th 2008 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 5982797)
Was going to say use anyone but Comcast as they're sh!te - nothing but trouble since day one but they have the monopoly where I live. But I suspect that someone's got a horror story to tell about any of the cable companies that are available in any given area. Still - giving Comcast a public thumbs-down :thumbdown:makes me feel better at least! :)

aye, depends, it's been okay over here, but then RCN is a bag of spanners and Verizon haven't done this part of town yet etc....at least it ain't Adelphia, they were horrid up in Maine, but wasn't any choice where we lived...though much better than Dish, because they worked in crap weather :lol:

Bob Feb 26th 2008 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 5986160)
There may be only the one *cable* company available in your market, but you should also have the choice of DISH Network or Direct TV.

unless your renting, in which case you might not be allowed to plonk a dish on the roof...