Reload this Page >

Buying a used car plus insurance

Buying a used car plus insurance

Old May 1st 2010, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

havoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a used car plus insurance

Hi everyone,

Just looking for advice on the quickest and cheapest way to get car insurance and whats needed to buy a used car.

I am UKC moving from the UK this month to Ithaca NY permanently and was wondering what I needed to do to get myself a car and insurance a.s.a.p

I have a budget of around $7000 for a used car and wanted something that I could use for a few years before upgrading. I currently have a full UK licence and 4 years no claims. I have a US address where I will be living and will be applying for an SS# after about 2 weeks of my arrival. I should add that I am marrying a USC on a k1 visa and applying for AOS.

I have read that it normally takes around 3 months to get a work visa and was hoping to have a car in time to find employment.

Should I apply for a US driving licence as soon as I receive my SS#?
Can I add myself to my future wife's insurance?

All advice would be very much appreciated.
Old May 1st 2010, 9:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a used car plus insurance

Check out state DMV requirements on what you have to do...there's probably a few threads on the subject for NY.

UK history doesn't mean anything here, getting insurance on a international license can be done, but expensive, wait till you get a US license.

Apply for SSN before you get married, other wise you'll have to wait till you get married, file your AOS and get your EAD.

As for getting name put on spouses policy, probably, ask the insurance company.

Oh, for getting a car, craigslist, carmax etc...
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:26 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by havoc
Hi everyone,

Just looking for advice on the quickest and cheapest way to get car insurance and whats needed to buy a used car.

I am UKC moving from the UK this month to Ithaca NY permanently and was wondering what I needed to do to get myself a car and insurance a.s.a.p

I have a budget of around $7000 for a used car and wanted something that I could use for a few years before upgrading. I currently have a full UK licence and 4 years no claims. I have a US address where I will be living and will be applying for an SS# after about 2 weeks of my arrival. I should add that I am marrying a USC on a k1 visa and applying for AOS.

I have read that it normally takes around 3 months to get a work visa and was hoping to have a car in time to find employment.

Should I apply for a US driving licence as soon as I receive my SS#?
Can I add myself to my future wife's insurance?

All advice would be very much appreciated.
Basically mate, forget everything about UK Insurance, as it doesn't apply and the terms and coverages are vastly different.

I once asked an underwriter why British drivers were charged more in the USA and his response was "Well the driving test over there isn't up to our standards so we attain more risk"
That's the mindset you're up against.

SS# will only apply if in the state you reside the insurance is tied to a credit rating system.

Once married, you and your wife will be first named insured on all cars. It goes by household drivers over here, not by named drivers.

Obviously different states deal with different specifics.

Shop around for the best deal, but my advice is add the policy to your wifes household insurance as at least you'll get the multi car discount at least. and once married and a named insured on the house / renters insurance will get a multi line discount too.
Old May 2nd 2010, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

I would recommend State Farm for your wife's insurance. My husband added me to his existing State Farm policy for no additional cost before I even had an American licence. They just told me to call them back with the licence number once I had an American licence.
Old May 2nd 2010, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Englishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud of

You can certainly find a used car for around $7,000, I would suggest Autotrader.com as a starting point for searching. It wpuld help narrow the search if you have an idea of what body shape, age and mileage you expect to get.

My wife got a 2002 Mercury Sable Wagon with about 73,000 on the clock for $6,300

I got a 2007 Mazda 3i Sedan with 61,000 on the clock for $8,000
Old May 24th 2010, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Vinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really nice

Also what sort of prices are we looking at for a UKC but WITH a US license to insure a car as I have heard its gonna cost me a stupid amount...like $0000's for 6 months as I am a non-US citizen. I'm planning to take my US driving test within 30 days of arriving in USA.
Old May 24th 2010, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vinnyvagus
Also what sort of prices are we looking at for a UKC but WITH a US license to insure a car as I have heard its gonna cost me a stupid amount...like $0000's for 6 months as I am a non-US citizen. I'm planning to take my US driving test within 30 days of arriving in USA.
Depends on the car and what coverage you want? do a search on some of the US insurance sites (like progressive) and just put in a car make/year and see what they offer you.
Old May 25th 2010, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

stewartsjh21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vinnyvagus
I live in Texas and it cost my wife and i $900 for our first 6 months.
Old May 25th 2010, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

I'm 38, been in the US (CT) for 3 months, cost me $420 for 6 months cover through AIG Travel Assist.
Old May 25th 2010, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Vinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really nice

Originally Posted by EricK
I'm 38, been in the US (CT) for 3 months, cost me $420 for 6 months cover through AIG Travel Assist.
Could you let me know the link to this AIG Travel Assist please? Sounds like a good deal.
Old May 25th 2010, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

I used State Farm in New York State. $90 per month, for someone with no driving history. Agents were Sara and Nick Russo.
Old May 25th 2010, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Desinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud of

Can highly recommend Chartis / AIG, there are a few of us on here who have used them. I have posted recently on the subject of cars insurance with them and their quotes are more than competitive. Try the search function and search "DesinFlorida" and you will find the link to the website too. Will be worth the time. Good luck.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Drakule will become famous soon enough

Just bought a Toyota Tacoma in Denver Co cost the wife and me $581 / 6 months with Geico i was expecting it to be $.000s as well but was pleasantly surprised not half as bad as what i expected