Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BUYING PROPERTY IN THE US?

BUYING PROPERTY IN THE US?

Old Jul 10th 2007, 3:45 am

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BUYING PROPERTY IN THE US?

Originally Posted by pickledpossum
Hi, can anybody tell me if there are any restrictions on buying property on a H1B visa?

Thanks,

PP
If you Have the $$$ they will take it. Not sure about Colorado but have owned in California for a while. No problems here. (Except the size of mortgage)
Old Jul 10th 2007, 5:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RaiseTheDead
There are no restrictions..I just bought 19,000 acres near Fairplay Colorado with virtually no questions asked..One thing about these bloody Yanks- They'll take anybodies money.
Odd, drove through Fairplay on Friday, no SOLD signs.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RaiseTheDead
There are no restrictions..I just bought 19,000 acres near Fairplay Colorado with virtually no questions asked..One thing about these bloody Yanks- They'll take anybodies money.
If it's agricultural have you filed a report with the FSA?

http://www.realtor.org/NCommSrc.nsf/files/Alien%20Land%20Ownership%20Guide%20(November%20200 6).pdf/$FILE/Alien%20Land%20Ownership%20Guide%20(November%20200 6).pdf

Last edited by farmerwife; Jul 10th 2007 at 6:51 am. Reason: link
Old Jul 10th 2007, 9:53 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sally
I have been usurped as the Anti-American
At least you are rational.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 3:41 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by farmerwife
If it's agricultural have you filed a report with the FSA?

http://www.realtor.org/NCommSrc.nsf/files/Alien%20Land%20Ownership%20Guide%20(November%20200 6).pdf/$FILE/Alien%20Land%20Ownership%20Guide%20(November%20200 6).pdf
I think it pertains to if you plan to farm the land in some capacity, eg timber production, forestry, agriculture etc; especially if you hold it in a business entity. From what I can gather, In CO there are no restrictions nor reporting requirements.
I did notice that there is a problem if you are a foreign subject of, (under wartime status), a nation which isn't at peace with the U.S. & Georgia - you may be restricted to be able to own property!! So, governments, think twice about pissing of Georgia.... apparently foreign citizens can't own nor lease airports in GA.

the most overlooked thing which sometimes occurs is tax withholdings from the sale of property... if you reside overseas, CO can withhold 10% of the proceeds to ensure you are not skipping out on taxes. Big shock at the closing table.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
I think it pertains to if you plan to farm the land in some capacity, eg timber production, forestry, agriculture etc; especially if you hold it in a business entity. From what I can gather, In CO there are no restrictions nor reporting requirements.
I did notice that there is a problem if you are a foreign subject of, (under wartime status), a nation which isn't at peace with the U.S. & Georgia - you may be restricted to be able to own property!! So, governments, think twice about pissing of Georgia.... apparently foreign citizens can't own nor lease airports in GA.

the most overlooked thing which sometimes occurs is tax withholdings from the sale of property... if you reside overseas, CO can withhold 10% of the proceeds to ensure you are not skipping out on taxes. Big shock at the closing table.
It's a Federal law (USDA) with reporting required to the Farm Services Agency of the County the property is located in, and applies to all the States. I had to file a report for ownership as an individual even though joint ownership with a USC.
http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/newsRele...3_rel_005.html

It's interesting to consider, and it's probably what they're concerned about, but wealthy "foreign princes" (with bad intent) could buy millions of acres of farmland and end up controlling the food supply.