Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

buying an iPhone in the US

buying an iPhone in the US

Old May 13th 2012, 6:56 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying an iPhone in the US

I was with OG wheb she got her phone, and indeed can confirm that her CDMA iPhone with Verizon has no SIM card slot. I know because I asked where it was before I knew that Verizon was CDMA, and I own an iPhone with a slot myself.
Old May 13th 2012, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
I was with OG wheb she got her phone, and indeed can confirm that her CDMA iPhone with Verizon has no SIM card slot. I know because I asked where it was before I knew that Verizon was CDMA, and I own an iPhone with a slot myself.
The iPhone 4s was the first CDMA Verizon iPhone also to have a SIM card slot. Earlier versions from Verizon didn't have a slot. This is why I didn't get an iPhone until the 4s. As already pointed out Verizon will unlock the phone after 60 days and you can then use any non-US SIM card either in the US (probably pointless) and anywhere else.
Old May 13th 2012, 7:41 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, there we go then. She purchased an iPhone 4.
Old May 14th 2012, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Aha! What do I know? Not much it seems.
Old May 14th 2012, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a T-Mobile PAYG sim card for use in my Android phone. $2 a day on the days you use it, for unlimited calls & texts & data, so even if you use it everyday thats 'only' around $60 a month, which is a lot cheaper than a contract, especially Verizon who are thieving shites in my opinion. When my USC wife got her new phone, to get a data package she has to pay an extra $30 a month for a minimum of 2Gb, which is frankly ludicrous (e.g. I never use more than about 300mb a month and neither does she).
Old May 14th 2012, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainsensible View Post
I bought a T-Mobile PAYG sim card for use in my Android phone. $2 a day on the days you use it, for unlimited calls & texts & data, so even if you use it everyday thats 'only' around $60 a month, which is a lot cheaper than a contract, especially Verizon who are thieving shites in my opinion. When my USC wife got her new phone, to get a data package she has to pay an extra $30 a month for a minimum of 2Gb, which is frankly ludicrous (e.g. I never use more than about 300mb a month and neither does she).
I agree that Verizon are thieving shites. There are a couple of other potential options though - they have a $20 plan with, I think, 400Mb a month. And if you have access to a corporate program, you can get a much better deal. For example, I'm paying $20 for unlimited data.
Old May 14th 2012, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, they make you take the 'minimum' 2gb data package if you get a smartphone. Would be interested to know if they let you downgrade though.
Old May 14th 2012, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by captainsensible View Post
Unfortunately, they make you take the 'minimum' 2gb data package if you get a smartphone. Would be interested to know if they let you downgrade though.
Do they? I know I was offered the $20 plan for 400Mb, but I can't remember when it was when I actually bought the 'phone.
Old May 14th 2012, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
Do they? I know I was offered the $20 plan for 400Mb, but I can't remember when it was when I actually bought the 'phone.
It was late last year that she bought the phone, so certainly since then.