SSN Problem

Old Apr 18th 2012, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

roberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default SSN Problem

Hi,

So after waiting the advised 10 days after entry we went to the SS office today, to be told that we were not in the system and that we would need to go through the verification step.

Looking at other forum posts, this adds a load of time to the process

Has anyone got any advice for speeding things up? I have a reference number and a phone number to ring but will it make any difference?

Not having a SSN for weeks is going to be a major pain as we move into a rented house soon, and I have lease cars waiting for collection etc.

Thanks

Robert
Old Apr 19th 2012, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

SheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really nice
Default Re: SSN Problem

Hi Robert

I had the same problem here in Tn

I just had to wait it out. The reference number you've got is probably for the local Social Security office. In my case (and assume it's the same everywhere) my local office were not the hold up - the application was effectively referred to Homeland Security for their confirmation of my legal arrival. The local office had no control over how long this would take and they had no authority to call Homeland Security and request the application be expedited (why would they? Everyone's application is as urgent as every one else's - they have to deal with things in order)

It might be little consolation now but these things always seem more serious at the time than they actually are. You will come to learn that, as a newcomer, you have to be extremely patient and be prepared for processes which would take no time at all back home (where they know you) to take much longer out here. For example, I applied for an AMEX over a month ago and was only approved yesterday and only after lengthy phone calls and negotiations with regards to what documentation I could supply.

Hope you get the SSN soon and everything works out well

Rich
Old Apr 19th 2012, 4:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My foreign husband also had to have manual verification done, but that was because he's from Iran. There was no way to speed that up. If I recall correctly, we waited 2 weeks to apply for SSN, it took 4 weeks to go through manual verification, and then 2 weeks to get the card in the mail after that, so total of 2 months from the time he entered on the K-1 to getting SS card in hand. He wasn't in a big hurry, so we weren't annoyed.

If the manual verification is only because you're not in the system yet (not due to your nationality), you can simply go back every few days in person to have them re-check to see if you're in the system now. If you are, they can go ahead and process the SSN, you don't really have to wait all that time. That is, if you have time to pop over in person to the SS office now and then...maybe once a week. Long and boring wait each time, but if you're in a hurry....

Rene
Old Apr 20th 2012, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

roberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

We had this with hubby's SSN number; the post-10 day denial that he exists. In his case, we think whoever entered the details at Homeland Security had transposed his first and last names (we have a surname that could be a first name too).

It took a few weeks to sort out, but they gave him a phone number to call once a week to see how it was coming along. I don't know if the chasing actually made any difference, but at least you feel like you're doing something to help.

Not having a SSN didn't matter with things like renting and buying cars; don't know if it's essential for leasing. We were able to open bank accounts, insure the cars and so on (the insurance didn't even mind that I was still on a foreign license), and everyone just said it was no problem, and to let them know the number once we have it.
Old May 14th 2012, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

An update on this: my wife's card turned up last week, but no sign of mine. Really annoying as it's holding up a load of stuff to do with lease cars and payroll.

Is it worth revisiting the Social security office to see if I'm now on the system?
Old May 14th 2012, 6:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roberth1970
An update on this: my wife's card turned up last week, but no sign of mine. Really annoying as it's holding up a load of stuff to do with lease cars and payroll.

Is it worth revisiting the Social security office to see if I'm now on the system?
Yes.

Rene
Old May 14th 2012, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. I' might just do that today.