Reload this Page >

buying a home in the USA

buying a home in the USA

Old Sep 1st 2007, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

trvlr is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile buying a home in the USA

Hi:

If one buys a home in the USA - what type of visa is required in order to live there - a: all the year round; b: say upto 6months or so?
Old Sep 1st 2007, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: buying a home in the USA

Originally Posted by trvlr
Hi:

If one buys a home in the USA - what type of visa is required in order to live there - a: all the year round; b: say upto 6months or so?
hiya

if you look at the home page of BE you will see an article on the left hand side about buying a home in the usa and it may talk about visas, tbh i've not read it myself.....or click on this

http://britishexpats.com/articles/usa/house-buying-usa/
Old Sep 1st 2007, 9:05 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trvlr
Hi:
All the year round ..not possible

For 6 months a year ..actually 180 days ... A B-2 visa
if you are of non working age fairly easy to get ...
Old Sep 1st 2007, 9:36 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
All the year round ..not possible

For 6 months a year ..actually 180 days ... A B-2 visa
if you are of non working age fairly easy to get ...
...and if you're of working age, fairly impossible
Old Sep 1st 2007, 11:07 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
...and if you're of working age, fairly impossible
Why is it "impossible" to get a 6 month visa to stay in the usa?I thought Americans and Brits were allowed to stay up to 6 months in one another's country.Is that law not still in effect? Most countries permit a three month stay in one another's nation.The UK and America has stretch that stay up to 6 months.Unless that visitation law has changed,six months is not a problem.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Why is it "impossible" to get a 6 month visa to stay in the usa?I thought Americans and Brits were allowed to stay up to 6 months in one another's country.Is that law not still in effect? Most countries permit a three month stay in one another's nation.The UK and America has stretch that stay up to 6 months.Unless that visitation law has changed,six months is not a problem.
That would mean the several thousand references to the visa waiver program on here are wrong
Old Sep 1st 2007, 11:45 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Who are we to question the ways of the Dept of State...

The US does tend to see agreements their way ..
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 12:18 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
That would mean the several thousand references to the visa waiver program on here are wrong
What is this guidance about?
This guidance explains what you will need to do if you want to travel to the United Kingdom (UK) as a visitor, and what the Immigration Rules say. It is only a guide but it aims to answer some common questions. If you need to pass through the UK in transit to another country, please read our Transit (INF 20) guidance for more information.

I found the information below on UKvisa's dot com.It seem that the rule allowing Americans a six month stay in the UK is still current.British High Commission has the same info,not to mention Americanexpats dot com is also providing the same info. Are you saying that the USA doesn't allow Brits the same quid pro quo? That would be unfair imo.But I'll take it

"How do I qualify to travel to the UK as a visitor?
What is a visa?
Do I need a visa to visit the UK?
Does my child need a visa to visit the UK?
How long will my visa be valid for?
How do I apply for a visa?
What are visa application centres?
What do I need to make my application?
What is 'biometric' information?
What supporting documents should I include with my application?
What will happen when I make my application?
Can I appeal if you refuse my visit visa?
What are public funds?
Can I carry out any business during my visit?
Can I study in the UK?
Can I get married or register a civil partnership in the UK?
Can I get medical treatment in the UK?
Can I stay more than six months for medical treatment?
Does the UK have any health-care arrangements with my country?
More advice and information

How do I qualify to travel to the UK as a visitor?
You must be able to show that:

you want to visit the UK for no more than six months
you intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit, and
you have enough money to support yourself and live in the UK without working or needing any help from public funds"
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 2:01 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Brits can only visit the US for 90 days ... not three months ... but 90 days under the Visa Waiver Program.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 2:28 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

WTF is your problem?

Don't worry, it's a rhetorical question.

Try reading up about the likelihood of being granted a B2 visa if you're of an age where you might try and find a job in the US and stay.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 2:31 am
Ray

Originally Posted by dbj1000
WTF is your problem?

Don't worry, it's a rhetorical question.

Try reading up about the likelihood of being granted a B2 visa if you're of an age where you might try and find a job in the US and stay.
About 50% of applicants fail ...
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 2:52 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

What is this guidance about?
This guidance explains what you will need to do if you want to travel to the United Kingdom (UK) as a visitor, and what the Immigration Rules say. It is only a guide but it aims to answer some common questions. If you need to pass through the UK in transit to another country, please read our Transit (INF 20) guidance for more information.

I found the information below on UKvisa's dot com.It seem that the rule allowing Americans a six month stay in the UK is still current.British High Commission has the same info,not to mention Americanexpats dot com is also providing the same info. Are you saying that the USA doesn't allow Brits the same quid pro quo? That would be unfair imo.But I'll take it

"How do I qualify to travel to the UK as a visitor?
What is a visa?
Do I need a visa to visit the UK?
Does my child need a visa to visit the UK?
How long will my visa be valid for?
How do I apply for a visa?
What are visa application centres?
What do I need to make my application?
What is 'biometric' information?
What supporting documents should I include with my application?
What will happen when I make my application?
Can I appeal if you refuse my visit visa?
What are public funds?
Can I carry out any business during my visit?
Can I study in the UK?
Can I get married or register a civil partnership in the UK?
Can I get medical treatment in the UK?
Can I stay more than six months for medical treatment?
Does the UK have any health-care arrangements with my country?
More advice and information

How do I qualify to travel to the UK as a visitor?
You must be able to show that:

you want to visit the UK for no more than six months
you intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit, and
you have enough money to support yourself and live in the UK without working or needing any help from public funds"
Sorry don't understand what this list has to do with the OP's question.