Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in the US

Driving in the US

Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Okuda will become famous soon enoughOkuda will become famous soon enough
Default Driving in the US

How was your first time driving in the US?

Was you nervous, was it confusing for you, did you nearly, or did have an accident? Did you get used to it quickly? Did you have problems when you traveled back to England and needed to drive there?

Do you have any tips/suggestions that helped you get used to the American way of driving?

I've been driving in England for 8 years ~ But the concept of driving over here just puts the fear of God in me. It's silly really because I know *how* to drive, it's just I still have a number of those "Stomp your foot in the passenger foot well breaking moments" in my Husbands car when he is driving because of the other cars coming the "wrong way" at me!

I just have a fear that if I was let loose on my own here, I'd have one of those stomping moments and cause an accident. I think I may go to a drivers school for some lessons here with someone experienced.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:11 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in the US

I drove in France for a couple of years first, so I was used to driving on the right. It's driving on the wrong side of the car that confused me.

About a week ago, I pulled up to a traffic light and said: "What's that twat doing on the other side of the road? He's in the same lane as me."

My wife pointed out I'd pulled to a halt on the left.

But apart from that - nil problema.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Okuda
How was your first time driving in the US?

Was you nervous, was it confusing for you, did you nearly, or did have an accident? Did you get used to it quickly? Did you have problems when you traveled back to England and needed to drive there?

Do you have any tips/suggestions that helped you get used to the American way of driving?

I've been driving in England for 8 years ~ But the concept of driving over here just puts the fear of God in me. It's silly really because I know *how* to drive, it's just I still have a number of those "Stomp your foot in the passenger foot well breaking moments" in my Husbands car when he is driving because of the other cars coming the "wrong way" at me!

I just have a fear that if I was let loose on my own here, I'd have one of those stomping moments and cause an accident. I think I may go to a drivers school for some lessons here with someone experienced.
Took me a good year or more before I plucked up the courage but my worst fear of all is getting lost over here
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Driving over here is a doddle - so much space and the traffic is generally slower than the UK. It's when you've been here a while and go back to the UK that you have to keep your wits about you.

And Britvic - I agree about not getting lost - a GPS is invaluable when you first arrive in a new city.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Philgr
Driving over here is a doddle - so much space and the traffic is generally slower than the UK. It's when you've been here a while and go back to the UK that you have to keep your wits about you.

And Britvic - I agree about not getting lost - a GPS is invaluable when you first arrive in a new city.
to the OP....driving's a piece of piss....and yes, garmin is my best friend!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:39 pm
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

Piece of piss in general. Driving is much simpler and in fact is a little too simple to be honest, at least where I am. Lots of straight roads and boring junctions and no roundabouts to contend with. It might be a little bit more difficult if you are planning to drive a manual here as you would have to adjust to changing gear with the other hand etc, but I cant comment on this as I, like most here, drive an automatic. I would rather drive a manual, but its just easier here to find automatic cars!

Good luck!

p.s. I get lost all the time but how else are you going to find your way round?
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:44 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

There really isn't much to it, except turning. You'll find that you automatically look the wrong way when you are about to make a turn, and sometimes have to correct yourself. The worst is when you pull out onto an unmarked road with no cars and have to say, ok, which side am I supposed to be on?

The left vs. right on the straightaways is really no different, nor is the manual thing a big issue (pedal brake cluth are all similar)
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Driving over here a doddle, not in this part of the US it ain't give me the M25 anyday or the middle of London for that matter.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
I drove in France for a couple of years first, so I was used to driving on the right. It's driving on the wrong side of the car that confused me.

About a week ago, I pulled up to a traffic light and said: "What's that twat doing on the other side of the road? He's in the same lane as me."

My wife pointed out I'd pulled to a halt on the left.

But apart from that - nil problema.
I tried driving in Croatia once, They on the left of the car and the right side of the road, and because I couldn't judge the closeness of the cars parked on my right, I nearly took one out! I guess that in it's self has made me nervous.

Originally Posted by britvic
Took me a good year or more before I plucked up the courage but my worst fear of all is getting lost over here
Yes I am scared of that too. Although the roads are all straight with in cities and what not, all the "blocks" look the bloody same. I told my husband he needs to either get me a car with GPS or a TomTom, or he will get frequent calls to log on to Mapquest and find me

My husband gets very nervous in the UK when I drive, more so because my Nan lives in the middle of some woods on top of a hill surrounded by apple orchards, so it's got the typical "2 lane country road that you could just about fit a 2CV along" He is amazed how two cars can actually pass on them. He also says people drive a lot faster in the UK. I'll think nothing of doing 80 down the M25, but here most speed limits are 65mph on the highways.

I for see some speeding tickets for an impatient Brit

Originally Posted by TruBrit
to the OP....driving's a piece of piss....and yes, garmin is my best friend!
Hah, yes my Grandpa had one of these, he loved DLing maps for it lol.

Originally Posted by dukeynorton
Piece of piss in general. Driving is much simpler and in fact is a little too simple to be honest, at least where I am. Lots of straight roads and boring junctions and no roundabouts to contend with. It might be a little bit more difficult if you are planning to drive a manual here as you would have to adjust to changing gear with the other hand etc, but I cant comment on this as I, like most here, drive an automatic. I would rather drive a manual, but its just easier here to find automatic cars!

Good luck!

p.s. I get lost all the time but how else are you going to find your way round?
Yes, I think automatic would be a lot easier, one less thing to concentrate on. With a manual I could see my self searching down by the door for the gear stick! I would be a lot happier if I could find a right hand drive car over here!

We have a few roundabouts in NC, I love watching Americans trying to figure them out

Getting lost is how I found my way around London!

Originally Posted by britvic
Driving over here a doddle, not in this part of the US it ain't give me the M25 anyday or the middle of London for that matter.
haha, at this point I am thinking central London in rush hour would be easier!

Thanks all!

Last edited by Okuda; Aug 27th 2007 at 11:57 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by penguinsix
There really isn't much to it, except turning. You'll find that you automatically look the wrong way when you are about to make a turn, and sometimes have to correct yourself. The worst is when you pull out onto an unmarked road with no cars and have to say, ok, which side am I supposed to be on?

The left vs. right on the straightaways is really no different, nor is the manual thing a big issue (pedal brake cluth are all similar)
*nods* this is what gets me, when there are no road markings! This is when many of the "Stomping in the foot well for my break" happens
Old Aug 28th 2007, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Okuda
*nods* this is what gets me, when there are no road markings! This is when many of the "Stomping in the foot well for my break" happens
The most useful thing someone said to me when I started driving in the US was 'Remember the bulk of the car is on your right now'. When you're swinging into a parking space it's easy to get that wrong and leave more space on your left rather than right.

Other than that it was a doddle. And I've found a GPS to be a lifesaver in a new city. Driving around lost for ages with three kids shouting from the back one of whom needs to pee is not my idea of fun.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 4:50 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry! Driving over here is stupidly simple (with the emphasis on STUPID).

So simple, in fact, that on my first trip to Dallas with my old UK company, I wrecked my rental car within less than 30 minutes. It was quite a nice car too, if you like Yank-tanks - an Oldsmobile Aurora with 13 miles on the clock. Opened it up like a tin-can on the rear fender of some guy's tricked-out GMC SUV. Oh, what fun that was!

Since then, I've become much better at driving like an American (or, more specifically, a Texan). So much better, in fact, that I rear-ended someone last week and wrecked my car. His F150 pickup didn't have so much as a dent.

So don't worry. It's so easy to drive over here, even Americans can do it!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 4:58 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

You just have to think "what could the vehicle on each side of me suddenly do?" and be prepared for evasive action.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 5:03 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
You just have to think "what could the vehicle on each side of me suddenly do?" and be prepared for evasive action.
Hehe! If I'm driving behind you, you'd better worry about the vehicle behind you too!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 5:04 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Hehe! If I'm driving behind you, you'd better worry about the vehicle behind you too!
Actually I've already been rear-ended three times

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.