Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a car as a non resident

Buying a car as a non resident

Old Mar 17th 2010, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Buying a car as a non resident

Yep, one issue that I keep noticing is that it seems to be very hard to find a half-decent motor for something $2000; certainly harder than in the UK. Keep that in mind and if you end up buying something, it might be worth paying a little more.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Yep, one issue that I keep noticing is that it seems to be very hard to find a half-decent motor for something $2000; certainly harder than in the UK. Keep that in mind and if you end up buying something, it might be worth paying a little more.
Did I say $? I meant to say €, which is a bit more. I'd probably go a bit higher too, just depends.

I used to live in Ashford too. Godinton Park, about 12 years ago.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all

Originally Posted by blargins
At last, someone who has done it and succeeded. That is exactly what I want to do. So it is possible and it isn't that expensive.

Hiring a car for 3 months, just the cheapest, would cost $2400. Then add $20 a day insurance onto that, renting becomes unfeasible and a complete waste of money.

Thank you so much, you have given me hope and proof it can be done.
You're very welcome.
We looked at a lot of car yards and many were crap but eventually had a choice of two after a day or two. We also tried Craig's list a few times and there were many available but you had to be quick as there is a busy market in that $2-2500 range. But that also means that it should be fairly easy to sell on when you're finished if you want to.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blargins
At last, someone who has done it and succeeded. That is exactly what I want to do. So it is possible and it isn't that expensive.
Yes, but note that they had a daughter in the US and were able to register the car in her name and insure it in her name with them as additional drivers.

If you can get your girlfriend to use her name for the registration and insurance then you can probably do it, but if not, as others have said, trying to do it all yourself is likely to be more trouble than it is worth.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice

Originally Posted by md95065
Yes, but note that they had a daughter in the US and were able to register the car in her name and insure it in her name with them as additional drivers.

If you can get your girlfriend to use her name for the registration and insurance then you can probably do it, but if not, as others have said, trying to do it all yourself is likely to be more trouble than it is worth.
Yep, well, doing it her name was my back up plan.

But it's good to have an option other than throwing money away on rentals.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 12:54 am
Just Joined

EssexJanner is on a distinguished road

I've lived in Florida for 10 years and have had regular visitors from the UK. I have 3 cars (two teen daughters!) so when family come they borrow one. My insurance is comp through Geico which means I can nominate other drivers. We had looked into my father-in-law buying a motorcycle here but, as others have commented, it would be a royal pain. Buying a used car here is as hit-and-miss as back home. Loads of dodgy people around. If you (or your girlfriend) doesn't have someone with a bit of car savvy I would forget about getting a cheap motor. Having said that there are reasonable deals to be had privately but I wouldn't want to try and do it from another country. Do a search for Kelly Blue Book for used car price guidelines stateside. Also there's a free ads site called craigslist that I have had some good experiences on (but read the section that warns about the scams first). Good luck
Old Mar 20th 2010, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

A lot depends on the rules in the state where you buy and register the car. You could have problems assembling the ID to register the car in your name. A passport, foreign license and credit card may not be enough.

I am a non-resident with no green card, but now have US ID. I bought a Celica convertible in NYC in October for $2400. It was a major hassle to register it, taxes and registration were another $450.

Saying that, it has been great since I bought it. I have driven all over the East Coast and now intend to head inland.

I managed to get insurance for under $100 per month with a State Farm agent. Geico and Progressive wanted ridiculously high premiums. The trick is to get a person to make the decision on your insurance, not a computer.

If you do buy, it will be a lot easier to buy from the same state where you are living / intend to register it.

A lease is another option but your mileage is limited. I hear the market is flooded with cheap Toyotas at the moment
Old Mar 27th 2010, 1:22 am
Just Joined

BWexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Do NOT buy a car in the US, you'd be suprised what kind of impact it could have on your later immigration.. if the USCIS thinks youre trying to prepare for permanent residency before you actually apply, they'll ban you from entering and your chances of getting a visa or green card will be close to zero..

Just rent.. much simpler
Old Mar 27th 2010, 4:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Get the GF to buy, tax, title and insure the car. You can pay her back.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 5:07 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Get the GF to buy, tax, title and insure the car. You can pay her back.
hmf. If I was the GF, not so sure I'd be up for that.