Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a car as a non resident

Buying a car as a non resident

Old Mar 17th 2010, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice
Default Buying a car as a non resident

Don't know if any of you remember me, but I posted a couple of weeks back regarding ways of emigrating to the US.

I've established the only way in is through marriage. I've told my American girlfriend this and it is something we will head towards in our relationship, but only when the time is right.

Sooooo, in the meantime, I'm going to try and spend as much time out there as I possibly can. I'm thinking of spending the summer there, and I have a mutual friend I can stay with (as I say, we are taking things slowly and will be dating in a more traditional way, rather than me staying there the whole time, especially as she has kids, we want to make sure everything is right before telling them about our relationship).

Anyway, I am considering purchasing a car when I go out there. Just for a couple of thousand dollars, nothing much, just to give me a bit of freedom and therefore be non reliant on anyone for transport. Plus it's cheaper than renting as I'll sell it before coming back.

So, as a non resident, can I purchase a car there? They did in that Top Gear special. If not, I guess I can give my girlfriend to buy it her name.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car as a non resident

With insurance and fees it will likely be cheaper and a whole lot easier to rent. You won't get $2000 back if you buy a car for $2000, maybe a few hundred if you're lucky.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
With insurance and fees it will likely be cheaper and a whole lot easier to rent. You won't get $2000 back if you buy a car for $2000, maybe a few hundred if you're lucky.
Is insurance expensive out there? I'm 38 with full no claims, no accident in 20 years of driving.

I'd be looking at a 4 cylinder and probably only 3rd party insurance.

What fees are applicable then?

Another option is to buy one and just leave it at her house when I'm not there rather than selling it.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blargins
Is insurance expensive out there? I'm 38 with full no claims, no accident in 20 years of driving.
No, you're 38 with no driving history, no insurance history and no driving license. No idea on the cost, probably 300-500 conservatively, if you can get some. You will also be dictated by the state minimum and laws, you may not legally be able to get any or as you say it, 3rd party which doesn't exist here. A $2000 car will end up costing maybe $2400 with the tax, title and doc fees. I would take a guess and say your $2000 car will end up with you $2000 out of pocket when you fly home. Rent a car on demand and check for cheap longer term rates.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Buying is the easy part. Much harder will be getting a car properly titled, registered, and insured if you are simply visiting. Every state has different rules, check the Department of Motor Vehicles site in your state of interest. It will likely be more trouble than it's worth, even if it's possible.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

No, you're 38 with no driving history, no insurance history and no driving license. No idea on the cost, probably 300-500 conservatively, if you can get some. You will also be dictated by the state minimum and laws, you may not legally be able to get any or as you say it, 3rd party which doesn't exist here. A $2000 car will end up costing maybe $2400 with the tax, title and doc fees. I would take a guess and say your $2000 car will end up with you $2000 out of pocket when you fly home. Rent a car on demand and check for cheap longer term rates.
Why do I have no insurance or driver history? I have moved country twice and my insurance history has followed me. I have had full no claims in Australia and France where I currently am.

Or is it because as I am a non resident I will not be able to transfer these details?

Btw thanks for your responses so far.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Why do I have no insurance or driver history? I have moved country twice and my insurance history has followed me.
It ain't following you to the US...

To US insurance companies, the rest of the world largely doesn't exist.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bill_S
It ain't following you to the US...

To US insurance companies, the rest of the world largely doesn't exist.
Wow! Really???

I thought France was a pain in that regard!
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wow! Really???

I thought France was a pain in that regard!
Welcome to America.

There are a huge amount of things that people don't even think of when they say they want to move here. If you move permanently your insurance will likely be more per month than you currently pay per year. I wouldn't even bother trying for a few months as a tourist.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:10 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Worth remembering in the Top Gear special they ended up donating the cars at the end as it wasn't worth selling in New Orleans.

Are you going to be in a major metropolitan area? If so you might look at Zipcar, which is a rental car when you need it. If you aren't commuting and just driving around to do this or that when you want, it might be cheaper to rent by the hours you need a car.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Welcome to America.

There are a huge amount of things that people don't even think of when they say they want to move here. If you move permanently your insurance will likely be more per month than you currently pay per year. I wouldn't even bother trying for a few months as a tourist.

Of course. But I think it's swings and roundabouts. Compare France to the US for example.

You have high insurance, we have low cost insurance.

You have cheap petrol, we have expensive petrol.

You have cheap food, we have cheap housing taxes.

You have high housing taxes, we have expensive food.

Overall, cost of living is probably very similar.

And in the Top Gear special, I think they decided to give the cars away because they felt sorry for the occupants of New Orleans.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You have cheap food
Not really if you want something that didn't come out of the gutter or manufactured in a chemical plant.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 9:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just rent a car.

Buying depends on the state, but that's easy....it's registering, plating and insuring the thing that'll cost a fortune, not to mention tax on the car and excise tax to the town.

You'll be treated as a fresh 16 year with the insurance.

And food ain't really cheaper here except for the rubbish stuff, normal food is about the same or more....petrol might be cheaper on the surface but it's not when you factor different gallon size and you having to drive a lot more here with no public transport for the most part.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all

We have just come back from visiting our daughter in San Antonio (plus friends near the border) for nearly 4 months. The price of renting a small car for that time was $2400. We bought a 9 year old Taurus wagon (needed to fit in the golf clubs etc) for $2200 and put it in our daughters name.
Renewed the registration for $55. Had it serviced for $38.
Insurance through our daughters name for 6 months was $225 with us as nominated drivers.
We originally intended to sell it when we returned but it went so well and suited the purpose ideally that we have now left it there for our next visit and for daughter and son-in-law to use as a spare if needed.
So, it can be done to advantage but you really have to look at a lot of crappy cars and choose the right one and keep your fingers crossed that it does not break down.
We should have spent the $50 to join AAA but just forgot.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Keith S
We have just come back from visiting our daughter in San Antonio (plus friends near the border) for nearly 4 months. The price of renting a small car for that time was $2400. We bought a 9 year old Taurus wagon (needed to fit in the golf clubs etc) for $2200 and put it in our daughters name.
Renewed the registration for $55. Had it serviced for $38.
Insurance through our daughters name for 6 months was $225 with us as nominated drivers.
We originally intended to sell it when we returned but it went so well and suited the purpose ideally that we have now left it there for our next visit and for daughter and son-in-law to use as a spare if needed.
So, it can be done to advantage but you really have to look at a lot of crappy cars and choose the right one and keep your fingers crossed that it does not break down.
We should have spent the $50 to join AAA but just forgot.
At last, someone who has done it and succeeded. That is exactly what I want to do. So it is possible and it isn't that expensive.

Hiring a car for 3 months, just the cheapest, would cost $2400. Then add $20 a day insurance onto that, renting becomes unfeasible and a complete waste of money.

Thank you so much, you have given me hope and proof it can be done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.