Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Budget flights - which airline for check-in and baggage allowance?

Budget flights - which airline for check-in and baggage allowance?

Old Oct 27th 2014, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

lander91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Budget flights - which airline for check-in and baggage allowance?

We are trying to book our flights tonight, and found very affordable tickets on a couple of different sites - but it's confusing as both sites list the flight as a Virgin flight operated by Delta.

Which carrier would we check in with, and more importantly, what baggage allowances apply? Delta allow snowboard bags with no restrictions aside from the weight, but Virgin specify only one board/boots/helmet per bag, and we have to fit two boards in one bag.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budget flights - which airline for check-in and baggage allowance?

For the first, almost always the operating carrier, ie Delta.

For the second, check your ticket.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 8:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lander91
We are trying to book our flights tonight, and found very affordable tickets on a couple of different sites - but it's confusing as both sites list the flight as a Virgin flight operated by Delta.

Which carrier would we check in with, and more importantly, what baggage allowances apply? Delta allow snowboard bags with no restrictions aside from the weight, but Virgin specify only one board/boots/helmet per bag, and we have to fit two boards in one bag.
You would check in with Delta, and Delta's policies should apply as they are the operating carrier but you'd have to double check with Delta.

Have you checked Delta's website as well? I find a lot of time the airline will be the same price or within a few dollars of the 3rd party sites.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
You would check in with Delta, and Delta's policies should apply as they are the operating carrier but you'd have to double check with Delta.
Trouble is, if OP is booking via elcheapo.com then they can have their own policies which apply (almost certainly either the same or more restrictive).

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Have you checked Delta's website as well? I find a lot of time the airline will be the same price or within a few dollars of the 3rd party sites.
Agreed, and a lot less hassle if something goes wrong or needs to be changed.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

lander91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, both sites flagged up with significantly bad reviews when I googled a bit further, so we ended up going through Expedia which we've had good experiences in the past. All booked and paid for now.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Trouble is, if OP is booking via elcheapo.com then they can have their own policies which apply (almost certainly either the same or more restrictive).

Yes indeed which is why it's always essential to double check. I have never booked via a 3rd party, having worked in both the airline world and hotel world and all the issues I have had to deal with because of 3rd party websites (and travel agents) I always book directly with the hotel/airline/service provider, gives them way less wiggle room to get out of helping you.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Amie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM

When i was travelling regular UK/USA i always used Delta after booking first flight through Expedia, as the cost difference was minimal also if things go wrong you only deal with one company.
Sign up to their loyalty programme "Skymiles" and collect the points, i managed to get my last flight to US (single) for £300, plus other bonuses.