Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BritishGuy36’s moving to America thread

BritishGuy36’s moving to America thread

Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BritishGuy36’s moving to America thread

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
This is the problem, it's a no-win situation. If you can't get a license without an SSN, and you're only allowed to drive for 30 days on your UK license, and the SSN takes weeks to get to you.....you could be the position where you aren't allowed to drive, if your SSN doesn't reach you quickly. Even if your SSN comes in 2 weeks, that still only gives you a 2-week window to arrange use of a car and take the test.

All in all, it's a PITA.
We took our test and bought a car within 2 weeks are arriving here...so it can be done. Those are the rules for the state you want to live in...you want to live there you have to abide with them...it's as simple as that.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 1:42 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the problem, it's a no-win situation. If you can't get a license without an SSN, and you're only allowed to drive for 30 days on your UK license, and the SSN takes weeks to get to you.....you could be the position where you aren't allowed to drive, if your SSN doesn't reach you quickly. Even if your SSN comes in 2 weeks, that still only gives you a 2-week window to arrange use of a car and take the test.

All in all, it's a PITA.
Why are you only allowed to drive for 30 days on your UK license? Maybe my agent was incorrect, but she said it was a year (for insurance anyway). When does your 30 days start?

On the Ohio website it says "Once you are an Ohio resident, you need to become an official Ohio driver as soon as possible. You are considered an Ohio resident once you: take a job, sign a lease, buy a home, register to vote, or enroll children in school."

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/misc/new_resident.htm

Last edited by tamms_1965; Apr 16th 2008 at 1:48 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely becoming an LPR (legal permanent resident) means that wherever you live, you are classed as being resident there. I dunno.

Therefore, I figured 30 days from entering the US, I would need to take the test.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Surely becoming an LPR (legal permanent resident) means that wherever you live, you are classed as being resident there. I dunno.

Therefore, I figured 30 days from entering the US, I would need to take the test.
Have you looked at Ohio's DMV website? The rules and regs are different from state to state...some states require 30 days...some allow several months.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:21 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. It seems to come in fits and starts, sometimes feels like it's flying along, sometimes it just seems to drag. It's 70 days today since filing date for the I-130, so should be done with that part soon.

And no, BritishGuy36 isn't under 26...

Actually, I turned 37 since I joined the board anyway.

Here's another question. Do they post your MBE back to you in the same package as you passport?
Urm... what's an MBE? (Other than being a Member of the British Empire) When my package arrived there was my passport and an intriguing yellow envelope with DO NOT OPEN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES stamped across the seal in big red letters. You have to take it straight to Border Control when you arrive in the US and they open it. Shockingly, if you're the curious type and don't obey, it's invalid and they could send you straight back to the beginning of the entire process.

So DON'T open it!

In case you are curious... the envelope contains all the paperwork you've ever submitted in one handy location. That way, the border guards have it all to hand and know you're not lying about anything (reason for keeping it sealed), and can send it straight to the DHS when you arrive and get fingerprinted like a criminal.

Ah, good times... good times... happy days...
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

So far we've found Progressive and AIG Direct to have the best rates for 'new drivers' and by that I mean people with no US driving history or credit.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert
Urm... what's an MBE? .... When my package arrived there was my passport and an intriguing yellow envelope with DO NOT OPEN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES stamped across the seal in big red letters.
I know all about the envelope.....but I've always heard it referred to as the Mysterious Brown Envelope.... I guess yours was an MYE.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Have you looked at Ohio's DMV website? The rules and regs are different from state to state...some states require 30 days...some allow several months.
As I've stated in this thread, I've spent a lot of time on that website, and it's not clear what the situation is for immigrants/LPRs. I'm only asking questions here that there are no clear answers to on the website.

But thanks for your response.

Irritatingly, there appears to be no "general" email address for enquiries to the OH BMV.

I suppose I will have to phone them and spend ages trying to get them to understand my funny British accent.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Apr 16th 2008 at 4:17 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

As I've stated in this thread, I've spent a lot of time on that website, and it's not clear what the situation is for immigrants/LPRs. I'm only asking questions here that there are no clear answers to on the website.

But thanks for your response.

Irritatingly, there appears to be no "general" email address for enquiries to the OH BMV.

I suppose I will have to phone them and spend ages trying to get them to understand my funny British accent.
Actually there is a form to e-mail them on their website. Click on "Email the Registrar".

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/misc/bmv_contacts.htm
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:23 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

I know all about the envelope.....but I've always heard it referred to as the Mysterious Brown Envelope.... I guess yours was an MYE.
Gotcha! I'm with you now...
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:55 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm only asking questions here that there are no clear answers to on the website.
It's also not unknown to find no clear answers from the delightful staff when you visit. You'll get used to it.....
Old Apr 16th 2008, 6:26 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It's also not unknown to find no clear answers from the delightful staff when you visit. You'll get used to it.....
That all depends on where you go. I live close to an air force base and the people at the county level are quite educated on this subject. They deal with citizens and permanent residents moving into the area on a regular basis.

Last edited by tamms_1965; Apr 16th 2008 at 6:29 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Great....

I suppose it's too much to ask for people to know how to do their own job...
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
So far we've found Progressive and AIG Direct to have the best rates for 'new drivers' and by that I mean people with no US driving history or credit.
Thanks.

But being a staunch Liverpool supporter, I couldn't bring myself to give money to Man U's sponsors even if it was half price.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I agree about State Farm. I am USC and long time customer of them. They were great when DH and I married and was driving on his UK license until he got his Ohio one.
Dittos on the State Farm experience. They seem very immigrant-friendly.

All in all, it's a PITA.
There is no one running around keeping tabs of all this though, except you.

Nope. Your immigration status name only matters to Immigration. The IRS has another definition of what makes you a 'resident' and so does each State's DMV. You need to float along in the Land of the Unknown Tongue.

Originally Posted by gingerert
Urm... what's an MBE? (Other than being a Member of the British Empire) When my package arrived there was my passport and an intriguing yellow envelope with DO NOT OPEN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES stamped across the seal in big red letters. You have to take it straight to Border Control when you arrive in the US and they open it. Shockingly, if you're the curious type and don't obey, it's invalid and they could send you straight back to the beginning of the entire process.

So DON'T open it!

In case you are curious... the envelope contains all the paperwork you've ever submitted in one handy location. That way, the border guards have it all to hand and know you're not lying about anything (reason for keeping it sealed), and can send it straight to the DHS when you arrive and get fingerprinted like a criminal.

Ah, good times... good times... happy days...
The old marriage-based visa group's FAQ page was named The Mysterious Brown Envelope, it's something that has hung on since then.
Brownish manila-y colored.. it's a big fat envelope with everything you've submitted so far.. it will be known as your A-file when you arrive in the US. It will go to The Cave for long term storage, to be pulled out at your various future immigration stops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.