Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BritishGuy36’s moving to America thread

BritishGuy36’s moving to America thread

Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default BritishGuy36’s moving to America thread

First a note to mods – I had no idea which forum/sub-forum to post this in, as the below questions relate to several areas. If you feel it’s in the wrong place please move it accordingly.

I’ve been frequenting BE for a couple of months now, in fact since not long after I submitted my I-130 via DCF to London. The Embassy website now states they are processing applications submitted three days before my filing date, so I anticipate hearing from them in a couple of weeks or so.

So I am in the process of getting ready for “stage 2” – submitting the DS-230 and statement of readiness, and getting the I-864 ready (I’ve already done some work on this).

I have a few questions about things I am going to have to do between now and getting settled in the US. I am hoping that I can use this thread to ask for further good advice from you all, as time goes on. I’ve read so much on this and other forums in the past few months, I admit to having forgotten quite a bit that I should have taken note of – so please forgive me if I am repeating past questions.

1) Costs: What’s the current cost of the medical, and for submitting the DS-230? I think the DS-230 is $355, is this correct? How about the secure delivery of passport back to you? Are there any other costs I haven’t mentioned, between now and receiving my passport back?

2) Embassy interview: What’s the current view on the USC spouse attending the interview? Allowed, or not? She wants to come, but I think I’d be calmer if I went on my own.

3) Embassy interview: How about taking a phone? The instructions say not to take anything like that, but reports seem to be that you can check your phone at the door and pick it up again on the way out?

4) Transferring money: We propose to use UKForex. Anyone used them? Their rates seem superb, and they approved me via electronic identity check, rather than me having to submit paperwork. I know a lot on here use XETrade, but I’m interested in anyone’s experience of UKForex.

5) Flights seem to go up in price all the time. Anyone come across any good online deals lately?

6) At the POE: When I am taken to secondary, does my USC spouse attend with me? Or does she have to wait for me at baggage claim?

7) Buying a car: At this point it’s impossible to say whether I will need to buy a car before sitting the Ohio driving test. Any recommendations for who to go with for car insurance using my UK license? And is your recommendation any different if I have my US license by the time I need to buy a car?

I’m sure I’ll think of more later!
Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BritishGuy36’s moving to America thread

Q1-3, 6 - Ask in the marriage visa section, I could split it off, but I can't be arsed right now.

4 - Seems people in the Oz side tend to use them, seem okay, just another alternative to xe.com probably pretty good, but more people on this end know xe.com and be able to help you out with that one.

5- Depends on when/where your flying out and into, but there's been a few threads that might be worth searching out for, Englishmum has a few good threads. kayak.com is a good site too.

6 - Depends on the airport, at Logon, Boston, you go it alone, but might be different else where.

7- You could probably just rent a car, though check the state dmv what you need to take the test, no idea on who'd be good for insurance out there, but having a US license would make it a lot cheaper so worth doing as soon as you can.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks.

To clarify:

5) Flying from MAN to CVG, via ORD, PHL or New York

6) Could be any of ORD, PHL or New York
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Ok thanks.

To clarify:

For what it's worth - CVG is one of the most expensive airports to fly into in the U.S. Many people in Cincinnati drive to Columbus, Indianapolis, etc. for flights. You may not want to be bothered with this ... but if the prices seem crazy look into those 2 cities. Both are about 1.5 hours from Cincinnati.

I also like www.airfarewatchdog.com for flight deals. I have seen fares go on sale from CVG to MAN in the past.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:46 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks.

To clarify:

Leave yourself plenty of time to change planes. Not uncommon for your connection to depart as you're still sitting in secondary waiting for your turn.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Leave yourself plenty of time to change planes. Not uncommon for your connection to depart as you're still sitting in secondary waiting for your turn.
Also, if you are considering flying on a US carrier try to pick one that isn't going to go bankrupt or ground all of its planes for safety checks the day that you intend to travel ...
Old Apr 13th 2008, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Also, if you are considering flying on a US carrier try to pick one that isn't going to go bankrupt or ground all of its planes for safety checks the day that you intend to travel ...
No kidding! It's been scary lately.

Of course if he's flying into Cincinnati it's likely his choices are Delta, Delta, or Delta.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by KJ2007
For what it's worth - CVG is one of the most expensive airports to fly into in the U.S. Many people in Cincinnati drive to Columbus, Indianapolis, etc. for flights. You may not want to be bothered with this ... but if the prices seem crazy look into those 2 cities. Both are about 1.5 hours from Cincinnati.

I also like www.airfarewatchdog.com for flight deals. I have seen fares go on sale from CVG to MAN in the past.
Where we are driving to is about equidistant from CVG and CMH (going South). But in getting prices for 8 previous round trips to the US, I've never found a flight to CMH that's been cheaper than flying to CVG. I always check LEX too, but CVG is always the cheapest of the three. The cheapest flights to CVG I have seen recently have been with KLM, flying MAN-AMS-CVG. In my 8 trips I've always gone first leg between MAN and a POE in the US.

Thanks for the website plug, but it only seems to list internal US flights.

Originally Posted by KJ2007
No kidding! It's been scary lately.

Of course if he's flying into Cincinnati it's likely his choices are Delta, Delta, or Delta.
There is a Delta flight through PHL, but most of the ones I see are Continental (via EWR) or AA (via ORD).

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Apr 13th 2008 at 8:34 am.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

3) When I was at the Embassy before Easter, loads of people had their phones with them. They handed them into the security booth and were given a ticket number in return. They collected their ph on departure by returning to that booth with their ticket.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice, ta.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Where we are driving to is about equidistant from CVG and CMH (going South). But in getting prices for 8 previous round trips to the US, I've never found a flight to CMH that's been cheaper than flying to CVG. I always check LEX too, but CVG is always the cheapest of the three. The cheapest flights to CVG I have seen recently have been with KLM, flying MAN-AMS-CVG. In my 8 trips I've always gone first leg between MAN and a POE in the US.

Thanks for the website plug, but it only seems to list internal US flights.

There is a Delta flight through PHL, but most of the ones I see are Continental (via EWR) or AA (via ORD).

I think that comment was a little unfair. KJ2007 was trying to be helpful IMO...she was not trying to plug a website.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think that comment was a little unfair. KJ2007 was trying to be helpful IMO...she was not trying to plug a website.
True - and it does list international flights! I actually listed it because I'm positive I have seen flights between Cincinnati and Manchester there - and that was the OP's route, no? Granted, it shows from a US origin, but I'd simply search in reverse.

The international flights for a given airport are listed after the domestic flights. They're skimpy at the moment ... but when I saw CVG-MAN it was under $600. Surely that's worth looking at.

Ironically I learned about airfarewatchdog from BE.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Where we are driving to is about equidistant from CVG and CMH (going South). But in getting prices for 8 previous round trips to the US, I've never found a flight to CMH that's been cheaper than flying to CVG. I always check LEX too, but CVG is always the cheapest of the three. The cheapest flights to CVG I have seen recently have been with KLM, flying MAN-AMS-CVG. In my 8 trips I've always gone first leg between MAN

Well continue to keep your eyes peeled as CVG is NOT known for good fares. Perhaps this relates more to the fact that you're leaving from Manchester - not sure. It's frequently as much as twice as much $$ to fly from Cincinnati as to fly from other cities. And yes, you'll find the odd flight on American, Continental, US Airways, or United ... but Delta owns that airport ... which is why it's so pricey.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

It could be Manchester that's the problem. But that's an hour's travel for me and going to London would cost a fortune and take ages, so it's just not worth any potential saving.

And I didn't mean anything by the "plug" comment, I just used it as a figure of speech.

As for the website, the only Manchester it finds in the "airport of departure" list is the one in New Hampshire.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Apr 13th 2008 at 2:44 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It could be Manchester that's the problem. But that's an hour's travel for me and going to London would cost a fortune and take ages, so it's just not worth any potential saving.

And I didn't mean anything by the "plug" comment, I just used it as a figure of speech.

As for the website, the only Manchester it finds in the "airport of departure" list is the one in New Hampshire.
It wouldn't show Manchester as an airport of departure, rather as a destination ... BUT ... if for instance you found a great fare from CVG to MAN on Travelocity ... then I would just go to Travelocity and search the other way around.

They only list fares that are lower than normal ... so it could be that they haven't spotted any fares that are low for what you're looking for. Every once in a while check it out - I know about 2 weeks ago they had Manchester (and not on this side of the pond either!)

I do hope you're able to find something reasonable into Cincinnati - just wanted to warn you that it can be hard to do so. Columbus is generally a completely different story - so remember to check both periodically in order to get the best deal. Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.