Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Radio streams on the Internet

British Radio streams on the Internet

Old Nov 12th 2005, 10:06 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default British Radio streams on the Internet

This may have been covered (many times) before, but I've just found a very useful and pretty all-inclusive list of UK radio stations broadcasting on t'Internet:

UK Radio Stations broadcasting on the Internet

...as well as a nice listing of all the different flavours of BBC Radio streams available:

Dave.org's BBC Radio Streams page

I hope this is useful to someone other than me!
Old Nov 12th 2005, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Radio streams on the Internet

Very useful. Thankyou.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 11:03 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

In return, can I beg a favor of all you Internet Radio listeners on BE?

If you ever find a Windows Media Player (.wmv) stream of BBC Radio 4, would you post it here, please?

I use a music system on my Mac that won't play the Real Audio (.ra, .ram) streams that the BBC uses for most of its radio stations. They have Windows Media streams for Radio 5 Live, Radio 7, and a few other obscure ones, but not Radio 1, 2, 3 or 4.

I found a .wmv stream of the BBC World Service hidden away on Yahoo Music, but that's as far as I've got!
Old Nov 12th 2005, 11:20 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
In return, can I beg a favor of all you Internet Radio listeners on BE?

If you ever find a Windows Media Player (.wmv) stream of BBC Radio 4, would you post it here, please?

I use a music system on my Mac that won't play the Real Audio (.ra, .ram) streams that the BBC uses for most of its radio stations. They have Windows Media streams for Radio 5 Live, Radio 7, and a few other obscure ones, but not Radio 1, 2, 3 or 4.

I found a .wmv stream of the BBC World Service hidden away on Yahoo Music, but that's as far as I've got!
Im no expert but try setting your mac browser to classic mode, also cant you just install realplayer and use this as your default player ?

Get realplayer here for mac :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/audiohelp_install.shtml

also heres a great place for hundreds of uk stations:

http://www.mikesradioworld.com/eu_uk.html
Old Nov 12th 2005, 11:25 pm
Arrogant ****

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Im no expert but try setting your mac browser to classic mode, also cant you just install realplayer and use this as your default player ?

Get realplayer here for mac :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/audiohelp_install.shtml

also heres a great place for hundreds of uk stations:

http://www.mikesradioworld.com/eu_uk.html
Thanks, but I didn't explain my situation properly. I have Real Player working just fine on my Mac, but I have a system called Sonos that will play digital music wirelessly around my home, and it doesn't currently support Real Audio. It's the Sonos system, not my Mac, that actually needs the Windows Media stream.

That Mike's Radio World link is excellent too. Thanks for that.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 11:40 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, but I didn't explain my situation properly. I have Real Player working just fine on my Mac, but I have a system called Sonos that will play digital music wirelessly around my home, and it doesn't currently support Real Audio. It's the Sonos system, not my Mac, that actually needs the Windows Media stream.

ok then it would depend of you only want live streams or not. Theres a program that can convert realaudio into mp3 format, costs about $30

or have a look here: http://www.magicvideo.net/

Last edited by Luke I Amyofath; Nov 12th 2005 at 11:52 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 12:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to get real alternative...I think it's open source and has a mac version, should play the stream out alright, and if you need the feed in another format, feed the stream into VLC and use that to re-stream the radio in another format...another free software...can't remember the websites off hand, but you'll find pc versions on the hippo - www.filehippo.com and then click on the link, should have link to software main website, which would have mac versions...
Old Nov 13th 2005, 12:46 am
Arrogant ****

Originally Posted by Bob
I think you need to get real alternative...I think it's open source and has a mac version, should play the stream out alright, and if you need the feed in another format, feed the stream into VLC and use that to re-stream the radio in another format...another free software...can't remember the websites off hand, but you'll find pc versions on the hippo - www.filehippo.com and then click on the link, should have link to software main website, which would have mac versions...
Real Alternative doesn't appear to have a Mac version.

I have VLC, but according to their website , pretty much the only streaming format they don't support at all is Real Audio/Video.

Looks like I'm still in search of a WMV/WMA stream.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 1:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Real Alternative doesn't appear to have a Mac version.

I have VLC, but according to their website , pretty much the only streaming format they don't support at all is Real Audio/Video.

Looks like I'm still in search of a WMV/WMA stream.
oh...bugger...I thought it did, well an early version did until they got into trouble with it at least...well if you can't find a mac alt, then I'm out of ideas i'm afraid...
Old Nov 13th 2005, 2:35 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: British Radio streams on the Internet

My husband Pete now enjoys downloading Podcasts onto his MP3 Player.

He's been listening to Chris Evans (he's back on Radio 1 again) whilst out running in the evenings.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 3:25 am
Arrogant ****

Originally Posted by Englishmum
My husband Pete now enjoys downloading Podcasts onto his MP3 Player.

He's been listening to Chris Evans (he's back on Radio 1 again) whilst out running in the evenings.
I also enjoy Podcasts on my iPod... but what I really want is Radio 4 to stream around my house!

As for Chris Evans... did Radio 1 really invite him back? Apparently they must think that there are still a few listeners left who need convincing to turn off Radio 1. He was super-efficient at seeing off the other 15 million, so the remainder must be pretty thick-skinned!
Old Nov 13th 2005, 1:45 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Great thanks
Now anyone know if there is a TV version of this
Rob
Old Nov 13th 2005, 2:22 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone interested to know, most of these links will play on windows mobile so if you have a broadband plan, you get listen to all of these stations whereever you go.

At my house, I have an FM Transmiiter (not the little ones, that only go 6-10 feet), this one goes about 1000 feet and even my neigbors can pick up if they like, on their FM radio's, anything I'm broadcasting. I set my radio clock to the FM station I'm broadcasting on - Waking up to Capital radio is weird !!