Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finally - the french do something right...

Finally - the french do something right...

Old Nov 9th 2005, 8:27 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finally - the french do something right...

On the BBC web site tonight - these 2 items in the news about the French riots stood out..............

..QUOTE

Mr Sarkozy told MPs that non-French nationals - "not all of whom are here illegally" - had been convicted of taking part in the attacks.

"I have asked the prefects to deport them from our national territory without delay, including those who have a residency visa," he said.

.............. and here's the "surprise" result :-

..QUOTE

Senior interior ministry official Claude Gueant said police had seen "a very significant drop" in the intensity of the unrest.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 8:32 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally - the french do something right...

Originally Posted by franc11s
Senior interior ministry official Claude Gueant said police had seen "a very significant drop" in the intensity of the unrest.
so it wasn't the mandatory curfew that dropped the violence then?
Old Nov 9th 2005, 8:57 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

On the BBC web site tonight - these 2 items in the news about the French riots stood out..............

..QUOTE

Mr Sarkozy told MPs that non-French nationals - "not all of whom are here illegally" - had been convicted of taking part in the attacks.

"I have asked the prefects to deport them from our national territory without delay, including those who have a residency visa," he said.

.............. and here's the "surprise" result :-

..QUOTE

OK, you've lost me here. Are you saying that by talking about deporting non-French nationals involved in the rioting, the result has been a "very significant drop" in the intensity of the riots?

Is that what you believe? Personally, as Manc says, I think the curfews are most likely to have been the cause of the decreased violence.

What I'm unclear on is what point you're trying to make. Are you saying that the riots have been caused by non-French nationals? That if they were all deported (even the ones in the country legally) then the inhabitants of the banlieux would settle down to contented lives and stop causing trouble? Surely not. Do explain.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 9:04 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
What I'm unclear on is what point you're trying to make. Are you saying that the riots have been caused by non-French nationals?
Fox have been pretty big on the French riots (and that bloody stupid story about the poor girl getting murdered in Aruba) -- takes aways from the pain of covering the implosion of their chosen messiah and his cronies.

Surprisingly, they haven't managed to draw any parallels with their own citizenry whatsoever. Instead, it's a "Let's laugh at the French" week. Silly b*ggers don't realise they have similar problems with poverty and racism.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 9:08 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

OK, you've lost me here. .
I'm lost too.

In any case, is there a due process of law? How can they convict people so quickly? And is 'rioting' a deportable offence for legal residents, without right of appeal?

I think this speech was made mainly to appease the good 'indigenous' burghers of France...
Old Nov 9th 2005, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

.... Are you saying that the riots have been caused by non-French nationals? That if they were all deported (even the ones in the country legally) then the inhabitants of the banlieux would settle down to contented lives and stop causing trouble? Surely not. Do explain.
If only they'd thought of this in 1789 - we could be toasting Louis XL by now
Old Nov 9th 2005, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

In any case, is there a due process of law? How can they convict people so quickly? And is 'rioting' a deportable offence for legal residents, without right of appeal?
Same thing would probably happen to any GC cardholder doing the same here.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 10:46 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

OK, you've lost me here. Are you saying that by talking about deporting non-French nationals involved in the rioting, the result has been a "very significant drop" in the intensity of the riots?

Is that what you believe? Personally, as Manc says, I think the curfews are most likely to have been the cause of the decreased violence.

What I'm unclear on is what point you're trying to make. Are you saying that the riots have been caused by non-French nationals? That if they were all deported (even the ones in the country legally) then the inhabitants of the banlieux would settle down to contented lives and stop causing trouble? Surely not. Do explain.
I thought I had a point but obviously it didn't work. What pxxsses me off so much is that 1000's of cars and buildings are torched and the nancies in Europe do little to control them. The curfew wasn't working (at least from what I heard on the BBC) because even immigrants (not only) have no respect for common law. What good is a curfew if there is NO follow through (as there wasn't). The threat of instant deportation is the only REAL recourse you have, next to shooting people...

Personally I think EVERY country should deport newly created supposed citizens who TOTALLY dispect their fellow citizens in THIS type of way.

I am now a US citizen and if I torched a car, they should take away my citizenship and send me packing.....

If the point is lost on everyone else, I'm sorry... I tried...badly..
Old Nov 9th 2005, 10:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I am now a US citizen and if I torched a car, they should take away my citizenship and send me packing.....
Sort of depends on why you are protesting!
Is there no reason for civil disobedience in your book?
It's pretty difficult to remove someone's citizenship.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 10:54 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I had a point but obviously it didn't work. What pxxsses me off so much is that 1000's of cars and buildings are torched and the nancies in Europe do little to control them. The curfew wasn't working (at least from what I heard on the BBC) because even immigrants (not only) have no respect for common law. What good is a curfew if there is NO follow through (as there wasn't). The threat of instant deportation is the only REAL recourse you have, next to shooting people...

Personally I think EVERY country should deport newly created supposed citizens who TOTALLY dispect their fellow citizens in THIS type of way.

If the point is lost on everyone else, I'm sorry... I tried...badly..
They're not deporting the newly created citizens -only the legal/illegal residents if found guilty of involvement. France has it's problems, and deporting criminals is just their cowardly way of passing the problem onto somebody else, because they can't handle it.....
Old Nov 9th 2005, 10:55 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Sort of depends on why you are protesting!
Is there no reason for civil disobedience in your book?
It's pretty difficult to remove someone's citizenship.
Protesting and rioting are not the same thing.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 11:09 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
Protesting and rioting are not the same thing.

No -- but saying you should never do it is short-sighted!

Let's assume the State of New Jersey passes a bill tomorrow saying the governor can sleep with your wife on Wednesdays, your daughter can't go to university because her place is in the kitchen, and you're off to defend freedom whether you like it or not.

Would you fancy burning a few cars in the street or are you going to write a letter of protest to your representatives?
Old Nov 9th 2005, 11:23 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

Originally Posted by fatbrit
No -- but saying you should never do it is short-sighted!

Let's assume the State of New Jersey passes a bill tomorrow saying the governor can sleep with your wife on Wednesdays, your daughter can't go to university because her place is in the kitchen, and you're off to defend freedom whether you like it or not.

Would you fancy burning a few cars in the street or are you going to write a letter of protest to your representatives?
Actually I'd write the letter, and if that didn't work then I'd consider participating in a protest or demonstration. But if that demonstration got out of hand and turned into a riot, that would be my signal to leave. Destruction of property is wrong and illegal (and pointless) no matter how noble the cause is.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 11:35 pm
Septicity

Actually I'd write the letter, and if that didn't work then I'd consider participating in a protest or demonstration. But if that demonstration got out of hand and turned into a riot, that would be my signal to leave. Destruction of property is wrong and illegal (and pointless) no matter how noble the cause is.
Hell! And I thought I'd chosen a rather extreme example for you!
Old Nov 9th 2005, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

So are you going to tell the French their Revolution was pointless? Sometimes force is necessary even if it is "illegal".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.