Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British passport vs Visa

British passport vs Visa

Old May 14th 2010, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

lcon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British passport vs Visa

Hello, I am a British and American citizen living in the US, was born in London. I have never applied for my British passport until 4 weeks ago on Tuesday. My fear is that it will take longer then the time they predicted, they just credited by bank account on the 11th. (Does that mean they are just starting the process or finishing it?).

I am going to study in London in September and would rather not go through the process of getting a visa (tier 4). So I was wondering if any of you could give me an idea of how long it may take after they charge me.

Also on a separate note, do any of you know if I need an appointment to go to a British consulate (Boston one) to ask about government loans (via British government)

Cheers, L.c.

*Edit* I did some looking around, like I should have and found out the first part of my question about passport time. But still the question about receiving student loans from both the British government and American one, as the American government will not change my financial aid (they only take money away). Do you think it will matter if the school I am going to is a not-for-profit international one and not a established British Uni?

Last edited by lcon; May 15th 2010 at 12:07 am.
Old May 15th 2010, 1:31 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British passport vs Visa

Originally Posted by lcon
My fear is that it will take longer then the time they predicted...
It will... first time passports always take longer than usual - since all documentation must first be verified.

... they just credited by bank account on the 11th. (Does that mean they are just starting the process or finishing it?).
It means they're just starting the process.

I am going to study in London in September and would rather not go through the process of getting a visa (tier 4).
You're a UK citizen... why do you think you'd need a visa? Indeed, as a UKC, you're likely not even eligible for a visa. Don't confuse your status as a UKC with proof of your status. They aren't the same.

I was wondering if any of you could give me an idea of how long it may take after they charge me.
Sorry... there's really no way to know ahead of time how long it'll take.

Ian