Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British passport or not!

British passport or not!

Old Sep 9th 2012, 5:25 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Cool British passport or not!

So my British passport expires the end of the month and I was thinking do I really need to renew it!
I have my US passport (valid) so I can't really see the point in having both, true enough if I want to come back to the UK at anytime I will have to wait in the non resident line at the airport because I will be travelling on a US passport, but aside from that is there any other point in having a British one!!
Old Sep 9th 2012, 5:39 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British passport or not!

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
So my British passport expires the end of the month and I was thinking do I really need to renew it!
I have my US passport (valid) so I can't really see the point in having both, true enough if I want to come back to the UK at anytime I will have to wait in the non resident line at the airport because I will be travelling on a US passport, but aside from that is there any other point in having a British one!!
The USA requires a USC to enter the USA using their US passport. I don't know if the UK has such a requirement for its UK citizens...that would be the first thing to look at.

Besides that, if you only use your US passport to go back and forth, it will look like you're entering the UK as a tourist, so I guess you could only stay as long as any other USC tourist?

Rene
Old Sep 9th 2012, 6:24 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The USA requires a USC to enter the USA using their US passport. I don't know if the UK has such a requirement for its UK citizens...that would be the first thing to look at.

Besides that, if you only use your US passport to go back and forth, it will look like you're entering the UK as a tourist, so I guess you could only stay as long as any other USC tourist?

Rene
Which is how many days Noorah do you know please, but if you are a UK Citizen the passport is only an entry permit!!
Interesting what you have mentioned!
Old Sep 9th 2012, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

The issue for you Poppy wouldn't be about the UK situation, but about requiring tourist visas for various countries if travelling on a US PP instead of a UK PP.

Some countries' rules/agreements on visas can change annually. eg Australians did/didnt/did/didnt/no-idea-now need a visa for France.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
The issue for you Poppy wouldn't be about the UK situation, but about requiring tourist visas for various countries if travelling on a US PP instead of a UK PP.

Some countries' rules/agreements on visas can change annually. eg Australians did/didnt/did/didnt/no-idea-now need a visa for France.
Arrrr gottcha never thought of that one, I will probably re-new before I fly back...........
The Australia comment is valid enough for me to re-new due to my family and connections there.

Last edited by Poppy girl; Sep 9th 2012 at 6:56 am.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 11:18 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Which is how many days...
USC visitors are allowed to visit the UK for 6 months on any single trip - and Ozzidoc hit the nail on the head if you enjoy the "Continent"!

Ian
Old Sep 9th 2012, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The UK does not have the same requirement. I am a UK citizen and I have travelled to the UK on a US passport on multiple occasions - as have my wife and kids who are also UK citizens. A UK passport helps grease the wheels if you ever move back to the UK to live. As someone else said, UK passports are useful for visiting countries where visas would be required for US citizens.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Sep 9th 2012 at 2:02 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
USC visitors are allowed to visit the UK for 6 months on any single trip - and Ozzidoc hit the nail on the head if you enjoy the "Continent"!

Ian
Even then not always an issue - it depends on where you go. My 2 teenage daughters entered Ireland on US passports this summer and travelled freely to the UK, France, Italy, Austria, Holland, Germany and Switzerland. No visas required.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Sep 9th 2012 at 2:11 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Another reason to renew your UK passport sooner rather than later is that the renewal process for an unexpired or recently expired passport where you appearance hasn't changed significantly is easy - you just need to complete the application form and send it in with the old passport, new photos and the payment.

If you let the passport expire and then 10 or 15 years later discover that you really need to get one again for some reason then you will be messing around with needing countersignatures and possibly other documents ...
Old Sep 9th 2012, 7:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'd get it renewed while you're in the UK, it's cheaper and less hassle....if you let it expire and don't renew within 10 years you'll have to apply as a first time applicant.

If you plan to travel to Brazil, you need a visa with a US passport, that you wouldn't with a UK one.