British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   British passport or not! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-passport-not-770979/)

Poppy girl Sep 9th 2012 5:25 am

British passport or not!
 
So my British passport expires the end of the month and I was thinking do I really need to renew it!
I have my US passport (valid) so I can't really see the point in having both, true enough if I want to come back to the UK at anytime I will have to wait in the non resident line at the airport because I will be travelling on a US passport, but aside from that is there any other point in having a British one!!

Noorah101 Sep 9th 2012 5:39 am

Re: British passport or not!
 

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 10271046)
So my British passport expires the end of the month and I was thinking do I really need to renew it!
I have my US passport (valid) so I can't really see the point in having both, true enough if I want to come back to the UK at anytime I will have to wait in the non resident line at the airport because I will be travelling on a US passport, but aside from that is there any other point in having a British one!!

The USA requires a USC to enter the USA using their US passport. I don't know if the UK has such a requirement for its UK citizens...that would be the first thing to look at.

Besides that, if you only use your US passport to go back and forth, it will look like you're entering the UK as a tourist, so I guess you could only stay as long as any other USC tourist?

Rene

Poppy girl Sep 9th 2012 6:24 am

Re: British passport or not!
 

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 10271053)
The USA requires a USC to enter the USA using their US passport. I don't know if the UK has such a requirement for its UK citizens...that would be the first thing to look at.

Besides that, if you only use your US passport to go back and forth, it will look like you're entering the UK as a tourist, so I guess you could only stay as long as any other USC tourist?

Rene

Which is how many days Noorah do you know please, but if you are a UK Citizen the passport is only an entry permit!!
Interesting what you have mentioned!

Ozzidoc Sep 9th 2012 6:39 am

Re: British passport or not!
 
The issue for you Poppy wouldn't be about the UK situation, but about requiring tourist visas for various countries if travelling on a US PP instead of a UK PP.

Some countries' rules/agreements on visas can change annually. eg Australians did/didnt/did/didnt/no-idea-now need a visa for France.

Poppy girl Sep 9th 2012 6:43 am

Re: British passport or not!
 

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 10271087)
The issue for you Poppy wouldn't be about the UK situation, but about requiring tourist visas for various countries if travelling on a US PP instead of a UK PP.

Some countries' rules/agreements on visas can change annually. eg Australians did/didnt/did/didnt/no-idea-now need a visa for France.

Arrrr gottcha never thought of that one, I will probably re-new before I fly back...........;)
The Australia comment is valid enough for me to re-new due to my family and connections there.

ian-mstm Sep 9th 2012 11:18 am

Re: British passport or not!
 

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 10271073)
Which is how many days...

USC visitors are allowed to visit the UK for 6 months on any single trip - and Ozzidoc hit the nail on the head if you enjoy the "Continent"!

Ian

MarylandNed Sep 9th 2012 1:59 pm

Re: British passport or not!
 

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 10271053)
The USA requires a USC to enter the USA using their US passport. I don't know if the UK has such a requirement for its UK citizens...that would be the first thing to look at.

The UK does not have the same requirement. I am a UK citizen and I have travelled to the UK on a US passport on multiple occasions - as have my wife and kids who are also UK citizens. A UK passport helps grease the wheels if you ever move back to the UK to live. As someone else said, UK passports are useful for visiting countries where visas would be required for US citizens.

MarylandNed Sep 9th 2012 2:09 pm

Re: British passport or not!
 

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 10271396)
USC visitors are allowed to visit the UK for 6 months on any single trip - and Ozzidoc hit the nail on the head if you enjoy the "Continent"!

Ian

Even then not always an issue - it depends on where you go. My 2 teenage daughters entered Ireland on US passports this summer and travelled freely to the UK, France, Italy, Austria, Holland, Germany and Switzerland. No visas required.

md95065 Sep 9th 2012 6:44 pm

Re: British passport or not!
 
Another reason to renew your UK passport sooner rather than later is that the renewal process for an unexpired or recently expired passport where you appearance hasn't changed significantly is easy - you just need to complete the application form and send it in with the old passport, new photos and the payment.

If you let the passport expire and then 10 or 15 years later discover that you really need to get one again for some reason then you will be messing around with needing countersignatures and possibly other documents ... :(

Bob Sep 9th 2012 7:21 pm

Re: British passport or not!
 
I'd get it renewed while you're in the UK, it's cheaper and less hassle....if you let it expire and don't renew within 10 years you'll have to apply as a first time applicant.

If you plan to travel to Brazil, you need a visa with a US passport, that you wouldn't with a UK one.


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:25 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.