Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Newspapers in NY

British Newspapers in NY

Old Feb 14th 2012, 12:59 am
Just Joined

srs507 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Newspapers in NY

I've tried searching on the internet but to no avail. Does anyone know where in NYC one can pick up a British paper? I've called numerous newsagents and stores and none seem to have any. Barnes & Noble in the city do not carry newspapers either. ta!
Old Feb 14th 2012, 3:09 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Newspapers in NY

There are a few newsstands here and there that sometimes have them. I used to get them at 57th and 8th, but that was quite a few years ago.

Just get an iPad and subscribe online. The apps give you the same 'feel' of reading a paper, swiping pages, etc, but you don't get your fingers dirty (or end up paying $8 for a three day old copy of the Times).
Old Feb 14th 2012, 3:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
There are a few newsstands here and there that sometimes have them. I used to get them at 57th and 8th, but that was quite a few years ago.

Just get an iPad and subscribe online. The apps give you the same 'feel' of reading a paper, swiping pages, etc, but you don't get your fingers dirty (or end up paying $8 for a three day old copy of the Times).
Or if you've got a Kindle, use Calibre to scrape the online newspaper that sends it to your Kindle for free...create your own using the site RSS feeds if you can't see the paper in the program and if you need a subscription, you can put the deets into Calibre too.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 3:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by penguinsix

I've got an Android tablet, I think The Times has an Android app so that works out in my favour. That's really the paper I miss the most - though I wouldn't mind having the Sunday Times in my actual hands.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

The big Hudson News at Grand Central carries several UK papers, but sells out early. There's a couple of places also I've seen them, one place up on the UES on, if memory serves, around 92nd and Lex plus one near the English shops in the West Village.

And if you're in Manhattan you can have the locally-printed edition of the Sunday Times delivered on Sundays.

Last edited by rpjs; Feb 14th 2012 at 11:00 am. Reason: Typo
Old Feb 14th 2012, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

OMG, the Sunday Times, how I`ve missed you and all that Sunday ritual. The Washington Post is no substitute. I echo the last poster, I`ve seen British papers at Hudson News, but on Penn station.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rpjs
The big Hudson News at Grand Central carries several UK papers, but sells out early. There's a couple of places also I've seen them, one place up on the UES on, if memory serves, around 92nd and Lex plus one near the English shops in the West Village.

And if you're in Manhattan you can have the locally-printed edition of the Sunday Times delivered on Sundays.
Oh! I do live in Manhattan, where can I get the Sunday Times delivered? That would be amazing.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srs507
Oh! I do live in Manhattan, where can I get the Sunday Times delivered? That would be amazing.
http://www.ocsmedia.co.uk/title_desc...title_code=UST

NYC zipcodes 100xx, 101xx and 102xx. Like I said, it's the US printed edition so it's not as big as in the UK but you do get the main news section, a sport/business section and a "best of the rest" section.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

texasjan is an unknown quantity at this point

I read the Sunday Times every Sunday in bed - direct from my ipad !! And you get ALL the sections.
So wonderful to have proper news. Worth buying an ipad just for this!