Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US citizen being denied travel to the US

US citizen being denied travel to the US

Old Feb 4th 2012, 4:10 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default US citizen being denied travel to the US

You have got to get over the first hurdle of being able to get on the aircraft first, even if you are a US citizen.

http://www.oregonlive.com/tigard/ind...ocked_fro.html
Old Feb 4th 2012, 4:24 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US citizen being denied travel to the US

Frightening.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I read this the other day. Very frightening indeed.

But why doesn't he just fly to Vancouver, Canada and then simply drive home from there? I know its the principle of the thing, but once he's here, he can fight the fight from a more strategic position I'd think.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

What do you do if you fail the TSA test, become a journalist!

So the issue is that he is on the no fly list, which begs the question how he got there in the first place.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 6:27 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
What do you do if you fail the TSA test, become a journalist!

So the issue is that he is on the no fly list, which begs the question how he got there in the first place.
Not the first question that sprung to my mind.

How about fundamental things like his rights.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 6:44 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Being a Muslim and working with an international humanitarian aid organization is apparently enough.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 6:46 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
I read this the other day. Very frightening indeed.

But why doesn't he just fly to Vancouver, Canada and then simply drive home from there? I know its the principle of the thing, but once he's here, he can fight the fight from a more strategic position I'd think.

Personally, I hope he gets a high-profile case out of it.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Personally, I hope he gets a high-profile case out of it.
Abso-effing-lutely. It's about time this secret no-fly list BS is put out into the open, and hold those people responsible accountable for this stuff.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 2:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Not the first question that sprung to my mind.

How about fundamental things like his rights.
The way it was written I would agree with you.

There is a right to fly?
Old Feb 5th 2012, 2:08 am
Septicity

There is a right to fly?
Don't be silly. You're an intelligent man.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:21 am
Account Closed

"This is something that happens with shocking frequency," said Gadeir Abbas, staff attorney with the Council on American-Islamic Relations, which has called on U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to intervene. His agency receives several calls each month from U.S. citizens who are Muslim and suddenly barred from re-entering the country if they travel abroad.
True or false?
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:38 am
Septicity

True or false?

Once is one time too many for me. Let's hope they pursue the issue.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Don't be silly. You're an intelligent man.
I wouldn't be so quick to assume the answer is obvious. While a USC has the right of entrance to the US, it doesn't necessarrily follow that a USC has a right to the form of transportation that gets him there. Flying is certainly quicker and more convenient than other means, but it's not the only way to get to the US.

Ian
Old Feb 5th 2012, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I wouldn't be so quick to assume the answer is obvious. While a USC has the right of entrance to the US, it doesn't necessarrily follow that a USC has a right to the form of transportation that gets him there. Flying is certainly quicker and more convenient than other means, but it's not the only way to get to the US.

Ian
If the article is correct, this is not about the method of transportation. The way it is written, plus the 'waiver of constitutional rights' issue that isn't made clear, imply that it is about more than do not fly.

"When FBI agents told him he needed to take a lie detector test before being allowed to return to the United States, Tarhuni agreed -- against the advice of a Tunisian attorney and his Portland lawyer, his daughter said.

But he later refused after another FBI employee tried to get him to sign a paper without reading it, his daughter said. When he finally saw it, she said, it appeared to be a waiver of his constitutional rights, which angered him.

Portland attorney Tom Nelson said he is planning to fly to Tunisia on Monday to help Tarhuni and another Portland-area man, Mustafa Elogbi, who also has been blocked from re-entering the United States. The two men and an unnamed third client who also has been banned from flying all attend the same mosque, Masjed As-Saber, in Southwest Portland, Nelson said."
Old Feb 5th 2012, 3:36 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
The US government is preventing a citizen from returning home. It is the US government who is doing this, not the airline.

There is NO security issue here. If they believe the guy will do damage to the aircrew or aircraft, then please do ensure he and his luggage are searched very thoroughly and an air marshal travels on the same flight.

If he's done something wrong, please arrest him when he gets home and charge him with that crime. If you have some evidence but not enough, please do go to a judge and obtain a warrant to gather more.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --BF

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.