Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British L-1 visa holder leaving via Canada

British L-1 visa holder leaving via Canada

Old Aug 29th 2002, 12:05 am
Just Joined

britguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British L-1 visa holder leaving via Canada

A friend of mine is traveling via car to Canada and then to the Uk via plane before returning to the US. At the canadian border will the Canadian customs record her exit from the US - how will the INS know about the exit? Is the Canadian computer connected to the American one in this regard? And is the computer reading the passport number as identification, or the visa number? Also, does the INS computer show all the movements of a passport holder, i.e. flights out of another country, in this case, Canada?

Thanks for help!!

brian
Old Aug 30th 2002, 10:12 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British L-1 visa holder leaving via Canada

Originally posted by britguy:
A friend of mine is traveling via car to Canada and then to the Uk via plane before returning to the US. At the canadian border will the Canadian customs record her exit from the US - how will the INS know about the exit? Is the Canadian computer connected to the American one in this regard? And is the computer reading the passport number as identification, or the visa number? Also, does the INS computer show all the movements of a passport holder, i.e. flights out of another country, in this case, Canada?

Thanks for help!!

brian

There should (hopefully) be US Immigration officers posted just at the border with Canada (you didn't say where she will cross the US/Canadian border, but I assume it won't be a quiet road in the middle of nowhere). She will need to ask the US Immigration officer to remove her white I-94 departure card from her passport to prove that she has left the USA. Upon her return to the US she can obtain a new I-94 embarkation card at the UK airport check-in or on the plane itself.

I doubt that the US & Canadian Immigration share any information at all, certainly not their computer records....except for anti-terrorist information.
Old Aug 30th 2002, 11:57 pm
Stuart Brook

Default Re: British L-1 visa holder leaving via Canada

Englishmum wrote:
    > Originally posted by britguy:
    > > A friend of mine is traveling via car to Canada and then to the Uk via plane
    > > before returning to the US. At the canadian border will the Canadian customs
    > > record her exit from the US - how will the INS know about the exit? Is the
    > > Canadian computer connected to the American one in this regard? And is the
    > > computer reading the passport number as identification, or the visa number? Also,
    > > does the INS computer show all the movements of a passport holder, i.e. flights
    > > out of another country, in this case, Canada?
    > >
    > > Thanks for help!!
    > >
    > > brian
    > There should (hopefully) be US Immigration officers posted just at the border with
    > Canada (you didn't say where she will cross the US/Canadian border, but I assume it
    > won't be a quiet road in the middle of nowhere). She will need to ask the US
    > Immigration officer to remove her white I-94 departure card from her passport to
    > prove that she has left the USA. Upon her return to the US she can obtain a new
    > I-94 embarkation card at the UK airport check-in or on the plane itself.
    > I doubt that the US & Canadian Immigration share any information at all, certainly
    > not their computer records....except for anti-terrorist information.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Wrong!!!

Entering Canada, either by land or air, you don't even see the US INS.

Canadian Customs / Immigration are supposed to take the I-94, *if you give it to
them.* Give it to the Customs officer and specifically ask that your passport be
stamped with the entry into Canada to show the departure from the US.

Then IN Canada retain any receipt that shows presence in Canada. Then on departure
from Canada to the UK ... KEEP the boarding pass. Keep these for posterity in case
they are ever needed for example when applying for a green card.

Stuart