Reload this Page >

what are my chances!

what are my chances!

Old Aug 29th 2002, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

iang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what are my chances!

hello,

im looking to work in the US next year someting for 3-12 months or even immigrate. i need to know what are my chances of getting a visa / green card.

i havent got a degree.

i have a BTEC National diploma in Art and design.

I have been working for 3 years as a multimedia assistant (web design, video editor, interactive cdroms, 3d etc).

I would like to continue my development in the IT industry... and i would love to work in america.

My girlfriend is american (main reason to work there). and marriage is not an option yet.... im only 21... not that she isnt the one for me.

i have just come back from america, where i had a meeting with a company. and they seem intrested in me... so they may be a job offer sometime this year.

What are my chances of getting a visa???? which one shall i go for??? any advice would be great.

thanks.... ig
Old Aug 29th 2002, 3:48 pm
Joachim Feise

Default Re: what are my chances!

iang wrote:
    > hello,
    > im looking to work in the US next year someting for 3-12 months or even immigrate.
    > i need to know what are my chances of getting a visa / green card.
    > i havent got a degree.
    > i have a BTEC National diploma in Art and design.
    > I have been working for 3 years as a multimedia assistant (web design, video
    > editor, interactive cdroms, 3d etc).
    > I would like to continue my development in the IT industry... and i would love to
    > work in america.
    > My girlfriend is american (main reason to work there). and marriage is not an
    > option yet.... im only 21... not that she isnt the one for me.
    > i have just come back from america, where i had a meeting with a company. and they
    > seem intrested in me... so they may be a job offer sometime this year.
    > What are my chances of getting a visa???? which one shall i go for??? any advice
    > would be great.

The usual way is to get an H-1B visa, because getting a GC takes quite long. For the
H1B, you need a 4-year college degree equivalent to a US Bachelor degree. You can
substitute 3 years of experience for each year missing from the degree.

Old Aug 29th 2002, 10:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by iang:
hello,

im looking to work in the US next year someting for 3-12 months or even immigrate. i need to know what are my chances of getting a visa / green card.

i havent got a degree.

i have a BTEC National diploma in Art and design.

I have been working for 3 years as a multimedia assistant (web design, video editor, interactive cdroms, 3d etc).

I would like to continue my development in the IT industry... and i would love to work in america.

My girlfriend is american (main reason to work there). and marriage is not an option yet.... im only 21... not that she isnt the one for me.

i have just come back from america, where i had a meeting with a company. and they seem intrested in me... so they may be a job offer sometime this year.

What are my chances of getting a visa???? which one shall i go for??? any advice would be great.

thanks.... ig
The only ways to get a US working visa are:

(i) marriage to a US citizen (or a fiance of a US citizen subject to marriage within 90 days of arrival)

(ii) having a bachelors degree and experience that is in short supply in the US e.g. scientific, medical or computer skills, subject to actually having a job to come to.

(iii) obtaining a green card in the visa lottery program (UK citizens, other than Northern Irish, are not eligible)

(iv) owning a business, though this won't get you permanent residential rights.

(v) investor - I think that this requires $1m or more.

If you don't fit into one of these categories I don't think that you will be able to come to the US to live and work.
Old Aug 30th 2002, 7:04 am
James Donovan

Joachim Feise <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > iang wrote:
    > > hello,
    > >
    > > im looking to work in the US next year someting for 3-12 months or even
    > > immigrate. i need to know what are my chances of getting a visa / green card.
    > >
    > > i havent got a degree.
    > >
    > > i have a BTEC National diploma in Art and design.
    > >
    > > I have been working for 3 years as a multimedia assistant (web design, video
    > > editor, interactive cdroms, 3d etc).
    > >
    > > I would like to continue my development in the IT industry... and i would love to
    > > work in america.
    > >
    > > My girlfriend is american (main reason to work there). and marriage is not an
    > > option yet.... im only 21... not that she isnt the one for me.
    > >
    > > i have just come back from america, where i had a meeting with a company. and
    > > they seem intrested in me... so they may be a job offer sometime this year.
    > >
    > > What are my chances of getting a visa???? which one shall i go for??? any advice
    > > would be great.
    > The usual way is to get an H-1B visa, because getting a GC takes quite long. For
    > the H1B, you need a 4-year college degree equivalent to a US Bachelor degree. You
    > can substitute 3 years of experience for each year missing from the degree.

This guy is only 21 years old, so it's impossible for him!

Old Aug 30th 2002, 8:10 am
Just Joined

thanks......

even if i get a job offer, do i still have no chance???

thanks for your replies. didnt want to go though it all to just get rejected at the end of it.

ill just bring her here. the weather isnt to bad!!
Old Aug 30th 2002, 12:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by iang:
thanks......

even if i get a job offer, do i still have no chance???

thanks for your replies. didnt want to go though it all to just get rejected at the end of it.

ill just bring her here. the weather isnt to bad!!
If you get a job offer your chances are fairly good, but, without a bachelor's degree and skills that are in short supply in the US, there is no chance that you will get a job offer!

You should be aware that the UK places very similar restrictions on immigrants from the US, so it may not be possible for your girlfriend to come to the UK either.
Old Aug 30th 2002, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

she's going to be a teacher. So she'll be ok to come over.
Old Aug 31st 2002, 12:11 am
James Donovan

iang <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > thanks......
    > even if i get a job offer, do i still have no chance???

If you do, and you can somehow prove 4 years of college or equivalent, you can get an
H-1B. If you don't, well then you are out of luck.