Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Gold Medal Thread

British Gold Medal Thread

Old Aug 16th 2004, 6:42 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future
Default Re: British Gold Medal Thread

Originally Posted by Yosser
What a shambles....what happened to our swimmers? even an British chick got beaten by the japenese in the 400

Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't the lottery money ment to go towards sporting of excellence centers, to help financially with British up and coming stars in all sports?

I'm disgusted with our British sporting achievements, its a joke!
Stephen Parry has beaten Phelps in the 200m butterfly Semi and is the fastest qualifier for the final, which is on tomorrow. Can't wait!
Old Aug 16th 2004, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser
What a shambles....what happened to our swimmers? even an British chick got beaten by the japenese in the 400

Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't the lottery money ment to go towards sporting of excellence centers, to help financially with British up and coming stars in all sports?

I'm disgusted with our British sporting achievements, its a joke!

Why would you be? British athletes have virtually no help at all and they have precious few world class facilities to train. Hell they even have to run raffles and pass round a tin for donations to be able to make the trip to the Olympics alone. When I was an international athlete the only help we got from the country was a 1lb of cheese a week! Things have improved slightly since those days but not a lot. Any athlete who makes it to an Olympic final has achieved the impossible really- and those who win medals are phenomenal.
Uk has an abundance of talent but sadly, still, most of it is wasted as there are no programmes to spot talented kids and very very few facilities nationwide to train those who are found.
I remember Lynn Davies (from the welsh valleys) coming home after winning Gold with a world record in Tokyo- he was disgusted at the motorcade planned and receptions etc because when he was a college student struggling like hell financially to stay in athletics he went to the council for a grant or help and they turned him down. But when he won boy did they spend some money.

It amazes me that the UK has won as many medals as they have in the past- and we are often up there in the finals (which is a feat in itself).

Lottery money has been given to a few sports (like shooting) and immediately paid off in gold medals at the Sydney Olympics. A bit of help- even just building some Olympic sized pools and decent running tracks would make a huge difference.

The good side of all this though is that our athletes are relatively free from political interference- Prime Example was when the USA pulled out of the Moscow Olympics- the government pulled all the US athletes passports to make sure they didn't go. Maggie Thatcher asked our athletes not to attend- and they told her to sod off and went.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 9:38 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffyles
Why would you be? British athletes have virtually no help at all and they have precious few world class facilities to train. Hell they even have to run raffles and pass round a tin for donations to be able to make the trip to the Olympics alone. When I was an international athlete the only help we got from the country was a 1lb of cheese a week! Things have improved slightly since those days but not a lot. Any athlete who makes it to an Olympic final has achieved the impossible really- and those who win medals are phenomenal.
Uk has an abundance of talent but sadly, still, most of it is wasted as there are no programmes to spot talented kids and very very few facilities nationwide to train those who are found.
I remember Lynn Davies (from the welsh valleys) coming home after winning Gold with a world record in Tokyo- he was disgusted at the motorcade planned and receptions etc because when he was a college student struggling like hell financially to stay in athletics he went to the council for a grant or help and they turned him down. But when he won boy did they spend some money.

It amazes me that the UK has won as many medals as they have in the past- and we are often up there in the finals (which is a feat in itself).

Lottery money has been given to a few sports (like shooting) and immediately paid off in gold medals at the Sydney Olympics. A bit of help- even just building some Olympic sized pools and decent running tracks would make a huge difference.

The good side of all this though is that our athletes are relatively free from political interference- Prime Example was when the USA pulled out of the Moscow Olympics- the government pulled all the US athletes passports to make sure they didn't go. Maggie Thatcher asked our athletes not to attend- and they told her to sod off and went.
valid point....I'm not bitter at the athletes, more the goverment. I trained with the GB windsurfing squad in the mid-90's, I just had to give up, couldn't afford the $$$, it wasn't how much talent you had, it was more "how much does your Daddy have in his wallet".

The most I ever got was a grant from The Princess Trust it was for £150.00, which bought me about 1/4 of a sail.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 9:49 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

Isn't this thread title an oxymoron?

*runs like hell*
Old Aug 16th 2004, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tinaflorida
Isn't this thread title an oxymoron?

*runs like hell*

Least our athletes are not cheating bastards high on steroids & the like.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 10:19 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manc1976
mens sycronized diving.
Thanks
Old Aug 16th 2004, 10:24 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Least our athletes are not cheating bastards high on steroids & the like.
That's true...well except for Ben Johnson.
I say we force that ****** David Wilkie back in the pool for the next Olympics.
Dailey Thompson can get his arse back out there too, he's been milking the royalties from those computer games for too long.
Old Aug 17th 2004, 12:01 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jambo_2004
Dailey Thompson can get his arse back out there too, he's been milking the royalties from those computer games for too long.
I think he looks a little out of shape now

Old Aug 17th 2004, 10:53 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jambo_2004
Don't want to cast undue aspersions, but didn't he eventually fade out under some dubious substance circumstances? Or was that someone else? It did seem a whole lot better a few years back with DT, Coe, Ovett and the other track guys, Fatima W and poor old Tessa S, Wilkie then Goodhew and Sharon davies in the pool, tony jacks in the judo and so on....where are todays heroes for todays kids to look up to?

Talking of cash for sports, didn't the Olympics used to be for amateur sportsmen only? Or am I talking out of my jacksy, not for the first time. If so, what are all those NBA buggers doing there? Good to see them get their a*rses kicked by PR the other day

And what cash incentives have our guys got for medals? In china at the mo, and their guys have been offered USD25k for gold, and lesser amounts for silver, bronze. Thats big wonga - especially here. And yesterday it was announced that they have upped it for one of the shooters to USD80k and more can be expected for the next few golds.
Old Aug 17th 2004, 2:36 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Talking of cash for sports, didn't the Olympics used to be for amateur sportsmen only? Or am I talking out of my jacksy, not for the first time. If so, what are all those NBA buggers doing there? Good to see them get their a*rses kicked by PR the other day

And what cash incentives have our guys got for medals? In china at the mo, and their guys have been offered USD25k for gold, and lesser amounts for silver, bronze. Thats big wonga - especially here. And yesterday it was announced that they have upped it for one of the shooters to USD80k and more can be expected for the next few golds.
Isn't getting paid for wins the definition of being a professional? Does the IOC allow cash for medals?
Old Aug 17th 2004, 3:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Box
Isn't getting paid for wins the definition of being a professional? Does the IOC allow cash for medals?
Yeah, but it's China....the athletes ain't going to argue
Old Aug 17th 2004, 3:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffyles

Aye, the problem does seem to be at schools, and a lack of support. Had a mates brother who use to play tennis and beat Tim Henman all the time, but didn't have the money to take it up professionally, well he wanted to have a career with a bit more certainty
Old Aug 17th 2004, 5:00 pm
Brit'n'TX

Originally Posted by James Box
ah ... those halcyon days of amateur sport ... those are long gone, my friend ..

we now have the likes of professional tennis players, NBA basketball stars, top professional cyclists, not to mention the amazing amounts any gold medallists will earn in sponsorship ...

I'm not daft enough to believe the good old days will ever return, but it was refreshing when the honour of representing your country was enough of a reward without expecting huge "appearance fees"

Old Aug 17th 2004, 5:02 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit'n'TX
ah ... those halcyon days of amateur sport ... those are long gone, my friend ..

we now have the likes of professional tennis players, NBA basketball stars, top professional cyclists, not to mention the amazing amounts any gold medallists will earn in sponsorship ...

I'm not daft enough to believe the good old days will ever return, but it was refreshing when the honour of representing your country was enough of a reward without expecting huge "appearance fees"

people also need to pay the bills too.
Old Aug 17th 2004, 5:06 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit'n'TX

Actually, I saw an interesting program about this issue. In the time of the original Olympics there was no concept of the amateur athlete. Those who won events received huge quantities of money and other benefits - not as the immediate prize but afterwards from sponsors. They were also, paid and maintained to train full-time, which was the only way poor atheletes could get the chance to compete at this level. When the games were reinvented, the "amateur" stipulation was a class matter, so that only "gentlemen" (ie people with enough money to maintain themselves and train) could compete without competition from working class people. And of course, they did not train full time. Hang on, I'll see if I can find a link.

http://www.umkc.edu/imc/olympics.htm

Not the best, but the best I can find right now.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Aug 17th 2004 at 5:19 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.