Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Doctors / Physicians / Consultants etc in the US

British Doctors / Physicians / Consultants etc in the US

Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Doctors / Physicians / Consultants etc in the US

Originally Posted by MouseyCat

I wish I paid home fees, and even then I would still move. My husband and I pay too much tax and get nothing back especially since we are childless. I still get to pay high fees even though I'm now British, and we've never claimed benefits in our lives, go figure!

Anyway - I'll await any answers to my questions
Won't be any cheaper over here....don't know what you'd need to do to get qualified...but the exams aren't cheap...but there's the nurses/docs section you could ask....the biggest issue would be visa...I doubt you'd be able to do a residency on an F1...so you've got to get a work visa, pretty much H1B....those are limited in numbers and expensive, so hardly likely to get one with out much experience, though if your working for a uni, they don't have a cap, so that might help.

OzziDoc might also be able to help out.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

MouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
Won't be any cheaper over here....don't know what you'd need to do to get qualified...but the exams aren't cheap...but there's the nurses/docs section you could ask....the biggest issue would be visa...I doubt you'd be able to do a residency on an F1...so you've got to get a work visa, pretty much H1B....those are limited in numbers and expensive, so hardly likely to get one with out much experience, though if your working for a uni, they don't have a cap, so that might help.

OzziDoc might also be able to help out.
Hey - not so worried about expense / money, this is something I would like to do in future and just thought this forum may have a few people who have done it. I will look up OzziDoc.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a feeling you have to requalify - my husband works with loads of Chinese medics but they can't practise medicine here, they only do research.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

you have to have been ere for at least 3 yrs and have no limit on your visa. see dpt of edu website for details.
Note* I even wrote to my MP who passed the letter to the Min. of Edu. He said I was entitled to pay £3000 instead of £20 000 plus per yr, since my circumstances had changed, i.e. been here more than 3rys and no limit on visa via spouse etc. However he also said universities are independent, the final decision lies with them.
Hmm, my reading of the regulations is that you wouldn't qualify. Not only do you have to have been resident for three years, but they explicitly state that "the main purpose for your residence in the UK has not been to receive full-time education during any part of the three-year period".
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

you have to have been ere for at least 3 yrs and have no limit on your visa. see dpt of edu website for details.
Note* I even wrote to my MP who passed the letter to the Min. of Edu. He said I was entitled to pay £3000 instead of £20 000 plus per yr, since my circumstances had changed, i.e. been here more than 3rys and no limit on visa via spouse etc. However he also said universities are independent, the final decision lies with them.

Guys, I'm not worried about fees I know the rules. I just want to know how a GP can move to the US. That's all, I hope someone can give me info on this. As far as I'm concerned I still pay overseas fees and what I do after my education is up to me- I don't mean to be rude or anything.
Did you happen to mention you intend to leave the UK as soon as your education is completed?
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
I have a feeling you have to requalify - my husband works with loads of Chinese medics but they can't practise medicine here, they only do research.
I think you are quite right about having to requalify when Mouseycat comes to the USA.My son in law is a doctor, D.O. and my Daughter is a RN.She is from UK and he is from Pennslyvania.He was licensed in PA and AZ at one time but now he is in Oklahoma and had to take exams to practise in OK.He is the assistant chief medical officer for the FAA, so Mouseycat will also have to get licensed in whichever state she moves to.S.I.L did not keep his license up in PA and AZ so cannot practise in these states without re licencing.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:15 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

OP:

It's a difficult path. Read here for a primer.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:07 am
Just Joined

yorkshirepud is an unknown quantity at this point

Are there any UK trained / qualified Docs here. If so please let me know, I have a lot of questions I would like to ask and I would rather hear it from the horses mouth.

I know you have to do USMLEs, then residency. Is that still the same if you are already a GP in the UK? Or even a consultant? Isn't that like going from being a GP / Consultancy, to FY1 / FY2 in the UK? If so is it really worth it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just weighing up options on what to do after my degree. If you have moved, when did you do your USMLE, was it worth it? What would you do differently? I've heard that Foreign qualifed docs don't always get the best posts and there is a bit of a stigma attached to them . . please advise.

Also - the visa issue, how does it work, what was the process (job 1st, then visa or vice versa?), how long did it take etc.
Salary? Is it at least the same as the UK?

If you like pm me or reply here. Thanks in advance.
Why limit yourself to the USA? Seriously,we are crying out for physicians here in Canada. We have an excellent health care system with fantastic facilities. We work in the medical field and have never looked back. Best move we ever made.
Email me if you want and I can try to help.

Good luck with your move
Old Jun 12th 2007, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by yorkshirepud
Why limit yourself to the USA? Seriously,we are crying out for physicians here in Canada. We have an excellent health care system with fantastic facilities. We work in the medical field and have never looked back. Best move we ever made.
Email me if you want and I can try to help.

Good luck with your move
The university system definitely does leave a lot to be desired.
I grew up in Jamaica, when university time rolled around, I applied in Jamaica, and not suprisingly they told me to bugger off to whence I came from (not suprisingly!).. So came back in October hoping to go to university, and was told I couldn't have a grant and would have to pay overseas fees until FOUR years (since I arrived in October).
So I decided not to bother and steal taxpayers money by claiming I work for the railways
That's proved MUCH more profitable!!

Also, like Mousey, I feel no loyalty or gratitude whatsoever to the UK....

What compounded that was my 92 year old grandmother needed a hip replacement operation after both she and my grandfather worked their entire lives, never claimed benefits. She was given an appointment for a YEAR later merely to SEE a consultant to GET an appointment for the operation...Cost her £16,000 to have it done privately....
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienUk
The university system definitely does leave a lot to be desired.
I grew up in Jamaica, when university time rolled around, I applied in Jamaica, and not suprisingly they told me to bugger off to whence I came from (not suprisingly!).. So came back in October hoping to go to university, and was told I couldn't have a grant and would have to pay overseas fees until FOUR years (since I arrived in October).
So I decided not to bother and steal taxpayers money by claiming I work for the railways
That's proved MUCH more profitable!!

Also, like Mousey, I feel no loyalty or gratitude whatsoever to the UK....

What compounded that was my 92 year old grandmother needed a hip replacement operation after both she and my grandfather worked their entire lives, never claimed benefits. She was given an appointment for a YEAR later merely to SEE a consultant to GET an appointment for the operation...Cost her £16,000 to have it done privately....
Regarding your grandmother's hip replacement...my mother had a similar experience waiting for knee replacement surgery...only her wait was much longer. After many years she was called for surgery to be told she was too frail to withstand the surgery.:curse:
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Regarding your grandmother's hip replacement...my mother had a similar experience waiting for knee replacement surgery...only her wait was much longer. After many years she was called for surgery to be told she was too frail to withstand the surgery.:curse:
While doing my best to refrain from immigrant bashing, had I been an asylum seeker, I would have had my education paid for, plus free accomodation near my choice of university arranged....

Again, had my grandmother been an asylum seeker who was traumatized by the fact she had small boobs, that would have been freely done on the NHS...
Old Jun 12th 2007, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

MouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Hmm, my reading of the regulations is that you wouldn't qualify. Not only do you have to have been resident for three years, but they explicitly state that "the main purpose for your residence in the UK has not been to receive full-time education during any part of the three-year period".
Nevermind that - regulations you posted from the Bristol website are not what they were when I started. I had been here 5 yrs before starting anyway. But I'm not here to ask about fees.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AlienUk
While doing my best to refrain from immigrant bashing, had I been an asylum seeker, I would have had my education paid for, plus free accomodation near my choice of university arranged....

Again, had my grandmother been an asylum seeker who was traumatized by the fact she had small boobs, that would have been freely done on the NHS...
He ehe hehe lol , thanks for the info y'all. I will pm about Canada - just always thought it would be too cold for me though.
Thanks again
x
Old Jun 12th 2007, 10:52 pm
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

He ehe hehe lol , thanks for the info y'all. I will pm about Canada - just always thought it would be too cold for me though.
Thanks again
x

Y'all Are we no longer Brits
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:22 am
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

Mousycat I work with clinicians here every day, most of which come from abroad . I know that it is a very long road if you wanted to get certified here in the US from the UK. I think I am right in saying that you will need to repeat your residency all over again in the US and also take a load of exams to get yourself registered. If you want more exact details, I'll be happy to pick some of their brains for ya. Just let me know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.