Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British degrees in the US

British degrees in the US

Old Nov 25th 2007, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British degrees in the US

I have an accounting degree from Australia and currently live and work in California so will share my experience with you. I did not do either the ACA or CPA in Australia I only have an accounting degree plus experience.

When I finally received my work permit I had absolutely no problems getting a good job in the accounting field. My first job, which I have been doing for 18 months is as a Finance Manager at a firm of Civil Engineers. You will find many similar jobs that do not carry the CPA/ACA requirement. Actually there are so many accounting jobs in California if you have some experience you will have something decent within a week.

My company has a branch in Orange County, and it took them 5 months to find their latest Billing Coordinator and that was working through recruitment firms. The person they recruited has an accounting degree but is not considered to be a mega star, but they felt they couldn't keep looking. That is an indication of how desparate the situation is for good accounting staff. I was looking to hire somewhere earlier this year in my office in San Diego, after advertising and interviewing we had to downgrade the position and shift work around as we would not hire a suitable candidate. The calibre of candidates was poor and the two we did deem suitable both took other positions. Taking into account we pay above market and offer better benefits and conditions than most of the market that tells you a lot about what is going on here.

My advice to you would be to get yourself an accounting position now and focus all your efforts on getting good references and good experience. If you are truly interested in the CPA you can do that here at your employers expense. Experience is what you need. Truthfully I would avoid Public Accounting experience at all costs. It might pay well, but the sacrifice they expect as they milk 80 hours a week out of you is not worth it. There are plenty of jobs out there in the private sector which are much more rewarding than working at a Big 4 company will offer.

I should mention that our Corporate Controllers is British (came on board after I did so that is not how I got my job) and does not have a CPA or any US qualifications. She is so well regarded because of her work ethic and ability to get the job done.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 8:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vicky88
I have an accounting degree from Australia and currently live and work in California so will share my experience with you. I did not do either the ACA or CPA in Australia I only have an accounting degree plus experience.

When I finally received my work permit I had absolutely no problems getting a good job in the accounting field. My first job, which I have been doing for 18 months is as a Finance Manager at a firm of Civil Engineers. You will find many similar jobs that do not carry the CPA/ACA requirement. Actually there are so many accounting jobs in California if you have some experience you will have something decent within a week.
All valid points but you will find it easier to get on in the finance world in the U.S. if you become a CPA. Both in terms of promotion and also getting another job if the economy goes into recession.

I don't know whether California demands public accounting work experience to become a CPA, but if you're in industry you could look at getting the CPA designation from another state with more flexible rules.

If you see yourself returning to Australia, then if you are a CPA and the state has given you a license to practice, you can become an Australian CA by reciprocity without needing to do the CA Program.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

My point is that not having a CPA or ACA will not prevent you obtaining a good well paying accounting job in the US. I totally disagree that you need to have a CPA designation to advance. I had my first interview the day after I made my resume available online and that first interview offered me a position which I chose not to take. I am certain that if I wanted to change jobs tomorrow I could find a similar position without any problems.

Sure if you want to be the CFO for a Fortune 500 company you might want to do a CPA qualification, however a good living can be made at smaller stable companies that does not cost everything in the terms of sacrificing your personal time. If the economy does go south I think it is those with the CPA that may be in more trouble as they tend to have higher expectations as to salary and it is normally those companies that are publicly listed and have to answer to shareholders who will dispose of staff first.

I think more importantly in the US it's about getting offered an opportunity and then getting in and putting in the hard graft and being noticed for your efforts. A lot of recruitment is done via personal recommendation. If you are the right person for a company opportunities will come your way if you work hard enough.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 9:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vicky88
My point is that not having a CPA or ACA will not prevent you obtaining a good well paying accounting job in the US. I totally disagree that you need to have a CPA designation to advance. I had my first interview the day after I made my resume available online and that first interview offered me a position which I chose not to take. I am certain that if I wanted to change jobs tomorrow I could find a similar position without any problems.
Your life, your choice, obviously. If you don't feel that the CPA adds value then don't do it.

But if you've any plan to go back to Australia - or go to the United Kingdom - it would be strongly recommended.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

highNNdry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JAJ
All valid points but you will find it easier to get on in the finance world in the U.S. if you become a CPA. Both in terms of promotion and also getting another job if the economy goes into recession.

I don't know whether California demands public accounting work experience to become a CPA, but if you're in industry you could look at getting the CPA designation from another state with more flexible rules.

If you see yourself returning to Australia, then if you are a CPA and the state has given you a license to practice, you can become an Australian CA by reciprocity without needing to do the CA Program.
There are two CPA designation here in Cali, one with 400 hours of audit experiance and one without, the latter you cannot sign off financial statement. However, you can officially call yourself a CPA with either designation.