Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British citizenship question

British citizenship question

Old Sep 11th 2013, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

gpatb36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British citizenship question

My American wife and I recently had a baby boy, born here in CT. I applied for both a British and a USA passport, successfully, so he now has both for the future.

My question is this - do I additionally register his birth with GOV.UK so I can get a British national birth certificate in addition to his American birth certificate - I ask because the fee to register is $175 and the fee per certificate is another $107 - so a whopping $282 just to register.

He already has his British passport so is there any advantage to additionally registering his birth?

Thanks
Gary
Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:00 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizenship question

If you already have your son's British passport then there'll be no immediate benefit. The largest benefit is having a permanent proof of his British citizenship, that won't expire unlike his passport and that a copy of the certificate will always be available from the GRO in the UK in case of loss or damage. It's something that your grandchildren might thank you for in forty years time.

Just pay the registration fee for now and you can order a certificate from the GRO in a year's time at a fraction of the cost it would be to have one immediately issued by the Embassy in Washington DC. It's personal preference in the short term but it's something I would definitely consider worth the money in the long term.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to, but it's handy to have as proof. Plenty of threads on the pro/cons.

Wouldn't need to bother get the actual certificate though, you can get that essentially in a years time in the UK if you're on holiday for a tenner.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You don't have to, but it's handy to have as proof. Plenty of threads on the pro/cons.

Wouldn't need to bother get the actual certificate though, you can get that essentially in a years time in the UK if you're on holiday for a tenner.
Yes, it isn't quite a year though. Something odd like after the September the year following the birth.

I went ahead and paid for it though. I haven't done a passport, figure there isn't any point until he is over 16.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't do it for either of my kids, now that everything is online I can easily order copies of their foreign birth certificates if I need to.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lbjen
I didn't do it for either of my kids, now that everything is online I can easily order copies of their foreign birth certificates if I need to.
Their US birth certs?

That's where the issue tends to lie though.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Yes, it isn't quite a year though. Something odd like after the September the year following the birth.

I went ahead and paid for it though. I haven't done a passport, figure there isn't any point until he is over 16.
?? Don't you think helichrysum want to travel? Somewhere before he 's 16?

We've just applied for my daughter's reg stuff, well worth it if a little pricey. I myself was born abroad to British parents and having this document myself has made it way easier to confer British citizenship on my daughters than it would have done otherwise. My hubby is a Brit too so we could've conferred thru his line but you have no idea what your child's circumstances might be when they're an adult do you might as well get it in my opinion.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
?? Don't you think helichrysum want to travel? Somewhere before he 's 16?
Helichrysum?

Young Sir has to have a US passport to travel obviously. I was referring to his potential UK passport that can wait until he is 16 and can get a 10yr one. Might be a fun birthday present.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

gpatb36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies folks - very useful to know. I'll register but wait until next September to get copies cheaper from UK direct
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Helichrysum?

Young Sir has to have a US passport to travel obviously. I was referring to his potential UK passport that can wait until he is 16 and can get a 10yr one. Might be a fun birthday present.
Yes, it's a waste of money getting a UK passport that is only valid 5 years. It's only worth getting if you're planning on moving to the UK permanently, because a US passport is more than enough to travel for a holiday.

Unless you wanted to have a holiday in Brazil without getting a visa I suppose.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yes, it's a waste of money getting a UK passport that is only valid 5 years. It's only worth getting if you're planning on moving to the UK permanently, because a US passport is more than enough to travel for a holiday.

Unless you wanted to have a holiday in Brazil without getting a visa I suppose.
A lot easier to travel around Europe on a British passport than a US one.

Oops and sorry for earlier typo! iPhone and two crazy kids and typing don't mix
Old Sep 12th 2013, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Their US birth certs?

That's where the issue tends to lie though.
Not currently but I've been able to get the European born one's online since she was born almost 10 years ago, and been able to get copies of my own online since before then. I can request copies by mail for the US one right now but I got several when he was born.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 3:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Lbjen
Not currently but I've been able to get the European born one's online since she was born almost 10 years ago, and been able to get copies of my own online since before then. I can request copies by mail for the US one right now but I got several when he was born.
It's the US that's the issue, certainly from some states, that the UK have problems with, for any US certificate issued after 3 months of birth.

Some states just have a date of issue on them, rather than date of original issue etc, so in that circumstance there's no way of knowing if the certificate has been altered, which happens in adoptions so that there's no proof of right to citizenship.

In that circumstance, is why registering the birth is handy.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 5:49 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It's the proof of British citizenship that makes consular registration valuable. A foreign birth certificate won't get you a British passport by itself but a consular birth certificate will.