Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British birth certificates for American born children

British birth certificates for American born children

Old May 1st 2011, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default British birth certificates for American born children

I'm not sure where to post this and I am sure the question has been asked before. Is it possible to apply for British birth certificates for American children who have a British born (naturalized USC) mother and an American father? Or do both parents need to be British citizens? My grand-children are ages 3 & 5 (almost 6) and my daughter never applied for British birth certificates for them. Does anyone know if she can do this now or is it too late? If so, how - would she go to the British Consulate website? She never thought about doing it before, but now thinks that dual citizenship would be a big advantage if the children ever wanted to go to the UK/Europe to study or work when they are older. I would appreciate any responses. Thanks!
Old May 1st 2011, 2:56 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British birth certificates for American born children

Heres the info on registering the birth abroad. I don't believe both parents need to be UKC. Mine were registered using my UKC according to the paperwork
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...-registration/

She'd have to make sure that the kids are eligible.
Old May 1st 2011, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Heres the info on registering the birth abroad. I don't believe both parents need to be UKC. Mine were registered using my UKC according to the paperwork
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...-registration/

She'd have to make sure that the kids are eligible.
Thank you very much. I will pass the link on to my daughter. I really appreciate it!
Old May 1st 2011, 4:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If the child is born in the US but is entitled to British citizenship, then they have it already, there is nothing to be done.

It is easier to register their birth in the US and get a UK passport while everyone is still alive and all the documents are easy to get at though.

If your daughter was born in the UK, she would pass on citizenship to her kids. If she was born in the US, she would be British by descent and would not automatically pass on UK citizenship to her children without meeting other requirements such as a number of years residence in the UK.
Old May 1st 2011, 7:29 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If she was born in the US, she would be British by descent and would not automatically pass on UK citizenship to her children without meeting other requirements such as a number of years residence in the UK.
Any idea how long?
Old May 1st 2011, 7:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Any idea how long?
Yeah, I've an idea, naaa I don't know how right it is

But seriously, I think it is if you have resided in the UK for 5 years, you can pass on citizenship, or at least you can be registered as a UK citizen.

I'm pretty sure JAJ has posted quite a concise amount of details in the past on this though which would be better use of information in a simplified form because I only really have the gist and I wouldn't want you to be making like long decisions based on the gist of my understanding
Old May 1st 2011, 8:12 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Any idea how long?
Read, (carefully),
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...hip_by_Descent
Old May 2nd 2011, 1:25 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, I've an idea, naaa I don't know how right it is
But seriously, I think it is if you have resided in the UK for 5 years, you can pass on citizenship, or at least you can be registered as a UK citizen.
I'm pretty sure JAJ has posted quite a concise amount of details in the past on this though which would be better use of information in a simplified form because I only really have the gist and I wouldn't want you to be making like long decisions based on the gist of my understanding
I usually make life-long decisions based on no understanding whatsoever.
Its more fun this way.

Ta.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Gripping stuff. Read it twice, got a headache and decided on a beer instead.
Thanks - its bookmarked.