Reload this Page >

British birth certificate for US born baby

British birth certificate for US born baby

Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:33 am
Just Joined

FionaC will become famous soon enough
Default British birth certificate for US born baby

Hi,

Hubby and I are both Brits. We want to organise a british birth certificate for our baby born here in the US. We got married in Bermuda and it says that we have to send our original marriage certificate along with authentication from the relevant embassy. Am I right in thinking that as Bermuda is an overseas territory we won't need that?

Thanks
Old Oct 5th 2011, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British birth certificate for US born baby

Originally Posted by FionaC
Hi,

Hubby and I are both Brits. We want to organise a british birth certificate for our baby born here in the US. We got married in Bermuda and it says that we have to send our original marriage certificate along with authentication from the relevant embassy. Am I right in thinking that as Bermuda is an overseas territory we won't need that?

Thanks
You will need it.

And your child wasn't born in Britain so wont get a British birth cert. They'll get a US one.

Congratulations on the baby.

BW
Old Oct 5th 2011, 12:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
And your child wasn't born in Britain so wont get a British birth cert. They'll get a US one.
I'm guessing the OP is thinking of registering the birth with the consulate overseas rather than a actual birth certificate.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

FionaC will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bob
I'm guessing the OP is thinking of registering the birth with the consulate overseas rather than a actual birth certificate.
yes, that's exactly it Bob.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

raithrovers1 is a jewel in the roughraithrovers1 is a jewel in the roughraithrovers1 is a jewel in the roughraithrovers1 is a jewel in the rough

We did this but it was when we returned to th UK. We just went to the local registars office with the US birth certificate, our birth certificates and our marriage certificate. I would think that those are the certificates you will need for the consulate.
Congrats on the baby.

Just a note:
Your baby will not be able to pass on his/ her UK citizenship to their kids if they marry a USC and live in the USA.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 5:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raithrovers1

Just a note:
Your baby will not be able to pass on his/ her UK citizenship to their kids if they marry a USC and live in the USA.
By default, but they can if they have spent x number of years living in the UK before a certain age, I can't remember which, but something along the lines of 4 years before hitting 18.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
By default, but they can if they have spent x number of years living in the UK before a certain age, I can't remember which, but something along the lines of 4 years before hitting 18.
No, I believe that the child of a citizen by descent is entitled to be registered as a British citizen, if the parent (citizen by descent) has lived in the UK AT ANY TIME before the child's birth for a period of 3 years.

Ref:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...en/bornabroad/

Last edited by BILDER; Oct 5th 2011 at 7:30 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

raithrovers1 is a jewel in the roughraithrovers1 is a jewel in the roughraithrovers1 is a jewel in the roughraithrovers1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BILDER
No, I believe that the child of a citizen by descent is entitled to be registered as a British citizen, if the parent (citizen by descent) has lived in the UK AT ANY TIME before the child's birth for a period of 3 years.

Ref:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...en/bornabroad/
This forum is great for learning new stuff!
Quote from the link:
"A child registered as a British citizen under this section will become a British citizen by descent. They will be unable to pass British citizenship on automatically to any of their children born outside the United Kingdom."

So it was the automatically part that I was talking about!

So as Bilder said, if your child lives in the UK for 3 years was never absent for more than 270 days they can become a british citizen.

I will have to go through this for my daughter as we are leving for the states in January. We have been in the UK for 10 years.

Last edited by raithrovers1; Oct 5th 2011 at 9:22 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Just checked the UK border control website. Form MN1 for getting my daughter british citizenship costs £540!!!!
Old Oct 5th 2011, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

This forum is great for learning new stuff!
Quote from the link:
"A child registered as a British citizen under this section will become a British citizen by descent. They will be unable to pass British citizenship on automatically to any of their children born outside the United Kingdom."

So it was the automatically part that I was talking about!

So as Bilder said, if your child lives in the UK for 3 years was never absent for more than 270 days they can become a british citizen.

I will have to go through this for my daughter as we are leving for the states in January. We have been in the UK for 10 years.

I didn't say that. You may want to reread that.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BILDER
I didn't say that. You may want to reread that.
The quote I used was from the reference link to the border agency that you had a link to. I copied it from the border agency website.

As was the statement about 3 years and the 270 days. After re-reading I should have said is "if your child lives in the UK for 3 years and was never absent for more than 270 days they can pass on their british citizenship to their children".

I was confirming what you had said about the three year period and also explaining why I had the misconception around a citizen by decent not being able to pass on their citizenship.

Basically, I was admitting that I was wrong and you were correct !!

Last edited by raithrovers1; Oct 6th 2011 at 6:42 am.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Ok, I see. Good stuff.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

Just checked the UK border control website. Form MN1 for getting my daughter british citizenship costs £540!!!!

It's my understanding that you do not need to do this, that you can just apply for a British passport for your child without the hassle and cost of registering the birth. As long as you or your husband is a British born citizen.

Last edited by Maltoo; Oct 10th 2011 at 1:32 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Maltoo
It's my understanding that you do not need to do this, that you can just apply for a British passport for your child without the hassle and cost of registering the birth. As long as you or your husband is a British born citizen.
My daughter already has a british passport.
I was wanting to get her to a position where she could pass on her citizenship to her children as she is only british by descent (Born in USA).
Old Oct 10th 2011, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

brioche is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter already has a british passport.
I was wanting to get her to a position where she could pass on her citizenship to her children as she is only british by descent (Born in USA).
You can't.

If she has children, and they're born in the UK, they will automatically be British citizens otherwise than by descent. However, if they too are born outside the UK, they will not have British citizenship at birth, but she may be able to register them as citizens under certain circumstances.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...hip_by_Descent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.