British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   British birth certificate for US born baby (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-birth-certificate-us-born-baby-734388/)

FionaC Oct 3rd 2011 1:33 am

British birth certificate for US born baby

Hi,

Hubby and I are both Brits. We want to organise a british birth certificate for our baby born here in the US. We got married in Bermuda and it says that we have to send our original marriage certificate along with authentication from the relevant embassy. Am I right in thinking that as Bermuda is an overseas territory we won't need that?

Thanks

Ozzidoc Oct 5th 2011 2:26 am

Re: British birth certificate for US born baby

Originally Posted by FionaC (Post 9653836)
Hi,

Hubby and I are both Brits. We want to organise a british birth certificate for our baby born here in the US. We got married in Bermuda and it says that we have to send our original marriage certificate along with authentication from the relevant embassy. Am I right in thinking that as Bermuda is an overseas territory we won't need that?

Thanks

You will need it.

And your child wasn't born in Britain so wont get a British birth cert. They'll get a US one.

Congratulations on the baby.

BW

Bob Oct 5th 2011 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 9658056)
And your child wasn't born in Britain so wont get a British birth cert. They'll get a US one.

I'm guessing the OP is thinking of registering the birth with the consulate overseas rather than a actual birth certificate.

FionaC Oct 5th 2011 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9658849)
I'm guessing the OP is thinking of registering the birth with the consulate overseas rather than a actual birth certificate.

yes, that's exactly it Bob.

raithrovers1 Oct 5th 2011 5:09 pm

We did this but it was when we returned to th UK. We just went to the local registars office with the US birth certificate, our birth certificates and our marriage certificate. I would think that those are the certificates you will need for the consulate.
Congrats on the baby.:thumbup:

Just a note:
Your baby will not be able to pass on his/ her UK citizenship to their kids if they marry a USC and live in the USA.

Bob Oct 5th 2011 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by raithrovers1 (Post 9659408)

Just a note:
Your baby will not be able to pass on his/ her UK citizenship to their kids if they marry a USC and live in the USA.

By default, but they can if they have spent x number of years living in the UK before a certain age, I can't remember which, but something along the lines of 4 years before hitting 18.

BILDER Oct 5th 2011 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9659439)
By default, but they can if they have spent x number of years living in the UK before a certain age, I can't remember which, but something along the lines of 4 years before hitting 18.

No, I believe that the child of a citizen by descent is entitled to be registered as a British citizen, if the parent (citizen by descent) has lived in the UK AT ANY TIME before the child's birth for a period of 3 years.

Ref:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...en/bornabroad/

raithrovers1 Oct 5th 2011 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by BILDER (Post 9659675)
No, I believe that the child of a citizen by descent is entitled to be registered as a British citizen, if the parent (citizen by descent) has lived in the UK AT ANY TIME before the child's birth for a period of 3 years.

Ref:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...en/bornabroad/

This forum is great for learning new stuff!
Quote from the link:
"A child registered as a British citizen under this section will become a British citizen by descent. They will be unable to pass British citizenship on automatically to any of their children born outside the United Kingdom."

So it was the automatically part that I was talking about!

So as Bilder said, if your child lives in the UK for 3 years was never absent for more than 270 days they can become a british citizen.

I will have to go through this for my daughter as we are leving for the states in January. We have been in the UK for 10 years.

raithrovers1 Oct 5th 2011 9:29 pm

Just checked the UK border control website. Form MN1 for getting my daughter british citizenship costs £540:eek:!!!!

BILDER Oct 5th 2011 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by raithrovers1 (Post 9659882)
This forum is great for learning new stuff!
Quote from the link:
"A child registered as a British citizen under this section will become a British citizen by descent. They will be unable to pass British citizenship on automatically to any of their children born outside the United Kingdom."

So it was the automatically part that I was talking about!

So as Bilder said, if your child lives in the UK for 3 years was never absent for more than 270 days they can become a british citizen.

I will have to go through this for my daughter as we are leving for the states in January. We have been in the UK for 10 years.

I didn't say that. You may want to reread that.

raithrovers1 Oct 6th 2011 6:37 am

Originally Posted by BILDER (Post 9660049)
I didn't say that. You may want to reread that.

The quote I used was from the reference link to the border agency that you had a link to. I copied it from the border agency website.

As was the statement about 3 years and the 270 days. After re-reading I should have said is "if your child lives in the UK for 3 years and was never absent for more than 270 days they can pass on their british citizenship to their children".

I was confirming what you had said about the three year period and also explaining why I had the misconception around a citizen by decent not being able to pass on their citizenship.

Basically, I was admitting that I was wrong and you were correct ;)!!

BILDER Oct 6th 2011 10:48 am

Ok, I see. Good stuff.

Maltoo Oct 10th 2011 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by raithrovers1 (Post 9659912)
Just checked the UK border control website. Form MN1 for getting my daughter british citizenship costs £540:eek:!!!!

It's my understanding that you do not need to do this, that you can just apply for a British passport for your child without the hassle and cost of registering the birth. As long as you or your husband is a British born citizen.

raithrovers1 Oct 10th 2011 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Maltoo (Post 9667321)
It's my understanding that you do not need to do this, that you can just apply for a British passport for your child without the hassle and cost of registering the birth. As long as you or your husband is a British born citizen.

My daughter already has a british passport.
I was wanting to get her to a position where she could pass on her citizenship to her children as she is only british by descent (Born in USA).

brioche Oct 10th 2011 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by raithrovers1 (Post 9667680)
My daughter already has a british passport.
I was wanting to get her to a position where she could pass on her citizenship to her children as she is only british by descent (Born in USA).

You can't.

If she has children, and they're born in the UK, they will automatically be British citizens otherwise than by descent. However, if they too are born outside the UK, they will not have British citizenship at birth, but she may be able to register them as citizens under certain circumstances.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...hip_by_Descent