Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Bacon and Bangers

British Bacon and Bangers

Old Nov 1st 2005, 3:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Bacon and Bangers

Originally Posted by nottsinCT
I live 25 mins from the Irish part of the Bronx and they have butchers that sells Sausage, bacon, black pudding, white pudding, sausage rolls you name it, Apple Pie without the Cinnamon Even have Bread which Is one item I miss so much I went back home in Aug and bought 2 fresh warburton toasties back... along with a suitcase full of crisps choc and anything I could pile in If they would have opened my case I prob would have been in trouble.

The Bronx has two very heavily populated Irish sectors. I'm in the Woodlawn Heights section which is very Irish ;-) The Butcher's Delight on McLean Avenue has wonderful Bangers and Bacon. They also make dinners-to-go nightly from a varied English/Irish menu. Sheperd's Pie, Bangers and Mash, etc. One of the many Irish coffee shops on the Avenue also has an all Irish menu and no meal is complete with out beans. Yes, they are not US baked beans but confirmed by my husband as the same beans as used in the UK and that he would have for beans on toast. Our two supermarkets, Super Stop N Shop and A&P both have large aisles devoted to only Irish/UK products, i.e. HP Sauce, HP Curry Sauce, British tea, etc. Also the small Korean green gorcery store carries fresh baked Irish bread, brown and soda bread.

So if you are in the NY area, come visit and stock pile our missing favorites.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 1:29 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I never posted back... time got the better of me...

This stuff was YUMMY. There wasn't much rind on the bacon and it was a tadge thinner but it was super-delious in a butty with Daddies sauce.

the sausages are still in the freeze but they look GREAT and I will be eating them if I wasn't dieting for Christmas and my wife has barred us
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

jamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Got some back bacon and beef sausages sitting in the freezer ready to go along with some brown sauce, kerrygold butter and baked beans.
All I need now is some decent sliced white bread that doesn't contain 13lbs of sugar - anyone any ideas ???
In the grocery store the other day,I saw a loaf of Sara Lee sliced white that only has 1 gram sugar per slice. But I've not tried it. Still might be worth checking.