Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British or American driving license

British or American driving license

Old Dec 12th 2014, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British or American driving license

Originally Posted by Guindalf
The IDP is just a translation of your UK DL, used for non-English speaking countries. It doesn't give you any more rights than the regular one, therefore it's a complete waste.

You've already learned a foreign language if you live in 'Bama anyway!
Have set up an English language school here in 'bama, Swahili would have been easier
Was looking at IDP as back up for US licence as a lot of countries do not recognise US Licence!!!!
Old Dec 14th 2014, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond repute

Have just received my full licence here in 'bama and it is marked "temporary" (for 1 year) apparently i update once i get GC, but if i do not get GC in that year then i have to go through the process of applying for licence again.
This is what i was told when i took test but can find nothing regards that on Alabama DPS site
Old Dec 15th 2014, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Tim Beardsley is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an old green paper UK driving license valid until sometime after 2020. I wrote to the DVLC about it to ask if it was still valid because I am living in the USA. After some hemming and hawing, they wrote to say, yes, it is still valid. I used it to get insurance to drive a family member's car in the UK when I visit. The license details were checked by the insurer and found to be OK.

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
No, you don't hand it in at all.

There is no such thing as an "American driving licence". Individual states issue driving licences. Actually, there is no such thing as a UK driving licence either. There is a GB licence (issued by the DVLA) and a separate NI licence (issued by the DVA in NI).

Reciprocity agreements exist between the DVLA and other licencing bodies that allow drivers to exchange licences without taking a driving test. Separate reciprocity agreements exist between the DVA and other licencing bodies. Unfortunately, I don't believe that there are any reciprocity agreements between DVLA/DVA and any US states. So you'll have to take the state driving test.

I did a driving test in Ontario, Canada after I moved there from the UK in 1989. There was no reciprocity agreement in place at that time between Ontario and the DVLA so I still have my GB licence. It's the old, green paper version and it's valid until 2035 (although technically speaking it's not valid at all since I don't live there anymore). I actually moved back to the UK for a couple of years in the 90's and continued to use it (was it invalid when I did this? Don't know, don't care. I updated my address). When I moved to Maryland, they just gave me a Maryland licence because I already had an Ontario licence (reciprocity agreements exist between US states and Canadian provinces).
Old Dec 15th 2014, 5:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tim Beardsley
I have an old green paper UK driving license valid until sometime after 2020. I wrote to the DVLC about it to ask if it was still valid because I am living in the USA. After some hemming and hawing, they wrote to say, yes, it is still valid. I used it to get insurance to drive a family member's car in the UK when I visit. The license details were checked by the insurer and found to be OK.
It is still valid but it cannot be renewed if you are not a UK resident. The problem is with the address...I'm pretty sure it has to be your current UK address where you are resident.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 1:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It is still valid but it cannot be renewed if you are not a UK resident. The problem is with the address...I'm pretty sure it has to be your current UK address where you are resident.
I answered every question truthfully on the application and DVLA knows I am living abroad (sent me a letter saying my license is valid). With letter in hand I think I would win that argument in front a judge if it came to that. I told the insurance company I was living in the USA and they were OK with insuring me.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 3:07 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I never understand this fascination with holding onto DLs from places where you don't live. Couldn't you just use your US licence?

Anyway, as far as the judge goes, a DL is something HMRC (and every other tax authority) uses for determining residency because it's something only a resident can get, because it lists your address on it. I can think of various tax forms where it actually asks the question, for example NR74 which is a CRA form, or IRS form 8840.

Also, there's the issue of driver compacts, i.e. are you going to get points or a fine. Well for example there is no driver compact between Alberta and any US jurisdiction, so there are no points. US States have very few driver compacts, some of the NE States have driver compacts with Ontario and Québec and so does Kentucky I think but that's about it. The UK on the other hand has loads of reciprocal agreements. If you get a ticket in the UK and you're using a UK licence and you don't live there, then what?

I was quite happy for the Alberta MoT to shred my GB licence and I don't miss it!
Old Dec 17th 2014, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Steve, the reason I can't just use my US license is that insurers won't insure me (anyone) to drive in the UK with a US license (unless you're renting). I want to drive a family member's car. To buy the insurance to do that I must have a valid UK license.

Originally Posted by Steve_
I never understand this fascination with holding onto DLs from places where you don't live. Couldn't you just use your US licence?

Anyway, as far as the judge goes, a DL is something HMRC (and every other tax authority) uses for determining residency because it's something only a resident can get, because it lists your address on it. I can think of various tax forms where it actually asks the question, for example NR74 which is a CRA form, or IRS form 8840.

Also, there's the issue of driver compacts, i.e. are you going to get points or a fine. Well for example there is no driver compact between Alberta and any US jurisdiction, so there are no points. US States have very few driver compacts, some of the NE States have driver compacts with Ontario and Québec and so does Kentucky I think but that's about it. The UK on the other hand has loads of reciprocal agreements. If you get a ticket in the UK and you're using a UK licence and you don't live there, then what?

I was quite happy for the Alberta MoT to shred my GB licence and I don't miss it!
Old Dec 17th 2014, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I never understand this fascination with holding onto DLs from places where you don't live.
I've always assumed that people think if they return to the UK they'd have to start from scratch with a provisional, L-plates and have to take the test again. My understanding[1] is that that's not the case and if you passed the UK test and held a full licence there in the past, you can get a full licence re-issued by the DVLA if you return to the UK to take up residence again.

[1] Never actually had a UK licence so may be wrong.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 5:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
I've always assumed that people think if they return to the UK they'd have to start from scratch with a provisional, L-plates and have to take the test again. My understanding[1] is that that's not the case and if you passed the UK test and held a full licence there in the past, you can get a full licence re-issued by the DVLA if you return to the UK to take up residence again.

[1] Never actually had a UK licence so may be wrong.
I thought this to be the case also but we have a member over in the MBTTUK forum who the DVLA has refused to issue him with a new DL. Admittedly he has lived in the US for some years and is over retirement age...maybe that makes a difference
Old Dec 17th 2014, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this to be the case also but we have a member over in the MBTTUK forum who the DVLA has refused to issue him with a new DL. Admittedly he has lived in the US for some years and is over retirement age...maybe that makes a difference
(I try to avoid the DL threads as it seems we go round & round the house on them !)

It is the case. Depending on age.

My (pink paper) UK DL is (confirmed by DVLA) valid until 20** OR my 70th birthday, whichever comes soonest. Perhaps this explains the above case .

FWIW, I'm insured to drive a family member's car in the UK, & have been for a very long time; insurance co have details of my UK & foreign licences. The company required proof of my UK licence before adding me to the policy. I can't "upgrade" to a photo licence until/unless I am once again permanently resident in the UK.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 6:54 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
(I try to avoid the DL threads as it seems we go round & round the house on them !)

It is the case. Depending on age.

My (pink paper) UK DL is (confirmed by DVLA) valid until 20** OR my 70th birthday, whichever comes soonest. Perhaps this explains the above case .
Correct. This equally applies to drivers with the photocard licence. Just because the photocard expires, does not mean you are not licensed to drive.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Worth pointing out that the license is going to be solely a photocard from next year. No paper counterpart anymore. As I understand it, if the details on your paper license are still correct you can still use it. Should your address change you will have to get a photocard license (I think the fee is waived).
Old Dec 17th 2014, 7:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Worth pointing out that the license is going to be solely a photocard from next year. No paper counterpart anymore. As I understand it, if the details on your paper license are still correct you can still use it. Should your address change you will have to get a photocard license (I think the fee is waived).
...and you cannot legally get a photocard license if you are not a UK resident.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 7:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...Should your address change you will have to get a photocard license (I think the fee is waived).
If we move back, better move back to my mothers gaff then...though that would bring up a different kind of faff
Old Dec 17th 2014, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

...and you cannot legally get a photocard license if you are not a UK resident.
Yes. Yes. Quite. my UK address (& yes I am very aware that it is a NON-RESIDENT one) has not changed since I originally obtained my DL. If/when I MBTTUK, I'll update to photocard.

I guess I get wound up about these threads when peeps start spouting that GB DLs are not valid once one moves abroad, without taking into account all the various permutations... Or maybe I'm just old !

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.