Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British or American driving license

British or American driving license

Old Jun 4th 2014, 2:39 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute
Default British or American driving license

Hi all

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but here goes.

I got my green card a year ago but I haven't sorted my american driving licence yet, because I haven't had a car in US and the only time I ever drive is back in UK on my UK drivers licence (I get a hire car). Now I know that when I take my test, I will have to hand in my UK licence, but I can ask for it to be kept, so I can use it back in UK.

My question is - do I need 2 licences? Going forward, I will not be back in UK as often as I been the last few years and obviously I could hire a car on my US licence. I sort of think the reason I am thinking of keeping my UK licence it just down to pure sentimental thoughts on my part .

Does anyone have any thoughts on this - has anyone found that having 2 licences has helped them in any way?

Thanks loads Becks
Old Jun 4th 2014, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British or American driving license

You can't use your UK licence if you live in the US. You can keep it as a memento, but without a permanent address, it is illegal to use both here AND back home!

You should apply and take your test in the state you live in as soon as you can. It's usually very simple and it also works as ID when needed.

Because it's illegal, there is no advantage to having two licences as only one is valid - the US one.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 2:54 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the prompt reply - I know taking the test is easy - just never been a good time to do it and as I have never had to drive in US, but always drive back in UK, it wasn't high on my list of priorities.

I have seen on previous threads about people renewing their British driving licence while living abroad, which is what sparked this question. I think I have no choice but to hand my British licence in when they issue me with the US one, but normally they would destroy it, unless you ask them not to.

If I don't have it sitting in my 'past life' file, I was wondering what is the point of asking them not to destroy it!!!
Old Jun 4th 2014, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure your UK drivers license is property of the UK government so you are under no obligation to give it to a foreign government.They can ask but you can decline. It may even be in the Geneva convention.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 3:43 pm
Back in US & happy!

Oh I didn't realise that!! I will have to do some more investigation about where I saw the comment about giving up a UK licence. Normally I leave my UK licence back in UK, so I am not even tempted to drive in US. But with me unlikely to come back as often now to UK, I thought I would take it back with me this time.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becks_r
Oh I didn't realise that!! I will have to do some more investigation about where I saw the comment about giving up a UK licence. Normally I leave my UK licence back in UK, so I am not even tempted to drive in US. But with me unlikely to come back as often now to UK, I thought I would take it back with me this time.
Perhaps you are confusing them asking for other State licences, you can only have one State licence at a time. They don't care if you have one from a different country except where they might recognize it as equivalent which isn't the case for a UK one. The UK photo ID card cannot legally be renewed once you are no longer a UK resident. You are free to keep it as a momento, that said it would be quite unfortunate if someone did ask for it and it was in your other coat.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 4:01 pm
Back in US & happy!

Oh yes, maybe it is state licence not country licence I have seen somewhere....

thanks for all the replies, once I get back to US I will put this high on my list of things to do
Old Jun 4th 2014, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becks_r
Now I know that when I take my test, I will have to hand in my UK licence, but I can ask for it to be kept, so I can use it back in UK.
No, you don't hand it in at all.

There is no such thing as an "American driving licence". Individual states issue driving licences. Actually, there is no such thing as a UK driving licence either. There is a GB licence (issued by the DVLA) and a separate NI licence (issued by the DVA in NI).

Reciprocity agreements exist between the DVLA and other licencing bodies that allow drivers to exchange licences without taking a driving test. Separate reciprocity agreements exist between the DVA and other licencing bodies. Unfortunately, I don't believe that there are any reciprocity agreements between DVLA/DVA and any US states. So you'll have to take the state driving test.

I did a driving test in Ontario, Canada after I moved there from the UK in 1989. There was no reciprocity agreement in place at that time between Ontario and the DVLA so I still have my GB licence. It's the old, green paper version and it's valid until 2035 (although technically speaking it's not valid at all since I don't live there anymore). I actually moved back to the UK for a couple of years in the 90's and continued to use it (was it invalid when I did this? Don't know, don't care. I updated my address). When I moved to Maryland, they just gave me a Maryland licence because I already had an Ontario licence (reciprocity agreements exist between US states and Canadian provinces).

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jun 4th 2014 at 10:39 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 12:47 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any States I wonder where it is illegal to have more than one licence?

In Alberta they make a big deal out of this, in BC it is also illegal but they don't seem to go out of their way to enforce it as much as they do here. In Saskatchewan though it's not illegal.

I assume there must be some States where it is illegal though.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 12:49 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Perhaps you are confusing them asking for other State licences, you can only have one State licence at a time. They don't care if you have one from a different country
Are you sure? There might be States where they have an issue with it. In Ontario for example their law says that you can retain a "foreign" licence in addition to an Ontario licence, but "foreign" excludes a licence issued by a US state.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 12:50 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I'm pretty sure your UK drivers license is property of the UK government so you are under no obligation to give it to a foreign government.They can ask but you can decline. It may even be in the Geneva convention.
Unless there's an agreement, in Alberta for sure they take your GB or NI licence off you.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Unless there's an agreement, in Alberta for sure they take your GB or NI licence off you.
What if you need it when you go home?
Old Jun 5th 2014, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
What if you need it when you go home?
Technically it's invalid when you go home since you haven't been living there. If you're only visiting, you can use your foreign licence. If you're going home for good, you can contact DVLA (or DVA in NI) and get a new licence.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Seems strange they can demand it from you when they have no jurisdiction.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

From what I recall from the many moons ago when I did this, the US state treats you like you've never driven before. Your UK license is irrelevant.

I got mine in PA and thats what I recall. When I moved to CA they took my PA license when I transitioned, but there was no test, it was just a swap and a photo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.