Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British accents - and getting hooked up

British accents - and getting hooked up

Old Feb 25th 2005, 8:54 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British accents - and getting hooked up

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
But just to be on " topic" for a short time .......... I did find that women for some unkown reason in the USA loved the Wigan accent ..... strange but true .... ok back to "off topic"
Ooooooh a Lanky lad.....

You must've met me a helluva lot of times! cos I'm surprised that many Yank girls would be able to understand ya!
Old Feb 27th 2005, 6:41 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

I did ok .... having talked to the wife once or twice I knew which words to avoid using and to speak slowly

Elton John may want to come to Wigan later this year .... that way he can watch Premiership football or watch a real game and catch some Rugby League

The Frames ... Vines etc ... may only use 3 chords ( not true as it happens ) but they are a damn sight better to watch than some old bloke and a piano

Wigan College or what was the college is now the town hall ....
Old Feb 27th 2005, 7:45 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

So why Eureka Illinois? I'd bet your accent would be exotic there!
Old Feb 28th 2005, 5:25 am
Just Joined

erkydooks will become famous soon enougherkydooks will become famous soon enough

You cant beat old elton that four eyed, effeminate, Ivory tinkling, sprouty haired lord of rock. Songs that tell a story with a nice tune. Many a time when Ive been in a pub with to many beers under the belt have I belted out Benny and the jets or crocodile rock. Sigh, those were the days. Recently revived by the kaoroake scene

Those of you that put him down, enjoy his music really. Your just making a modern statement and ascerting your individuality
Old Feb 28th 2005, 5:50 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
So why Eureka Illinois? I'd bet your accent would be exotic there!
Its simple ..... the young lady you see in my avatar is my beautiful wife and Eureka is her hometown .... and will hopefully in a couple of months be my hometown . I was there for 8 months last year... certainly viewed as an oddity and for some curious reason mist people assumed I was Aussie ...
Old Feb 28th 2005, 7:39 am
Lapine Member

How did you meet your wife? I find it next-to-impossible to meet decent relationship-orientated British men on the 'Net.... though I must stress that this isn't picking on the nationality because I have no experience with "seeking" any other.

Congrats to you and the missus
Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
Its simple ..... the young lady you see in my avatar is my beautiful wife and Eureka is her hometown .... and will hopefully in a couple of months be my hometown . I was there for 8 months last year... certainly viewed as an oddity and for some curious reason mist people assumed I was Aussie ...
If you don't sound like Prince Charles or Hugh Grant then you can't be British so you must be Austrailian.

-tom
Old Feb 28th 2005, 3:26 pm
Lapine Member

Don't you have to sound like Crocodile Dundee, the Outback Steakhouse advert bloke, or The Wiggles to be Australian?

I think if you sound like Tony Blair you might be correctly identified as British.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 3:30 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
If you don't sound like Prince Charles or Hugh Grant then you can't be British so you must be Austrailian.

-tom
Thats was so true ....

If only they had seen a few George Formby films .... I would have been alright ..
Old Feb 28th 2005, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

berni is an unknown quantity at this point

Both australian and british accents go down well. However, the 'posh' australian accent goes down best as does the moderately posh (but not anally posh) british accent. Or so my sources tell me.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:02 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by berni
Both australian and british accents go down well. However, the 'posh' australian accent goes down best as does the moderately posh (but not anally posh) british accent. Or so my sources tell me.
I wouldn't know. I'm not really hung up on how I sound to people.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:06 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

The 'I love the sound of my own voice' accent generally flops.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:06 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
The 'I love the sound of my own voice' accent generally flops.
<snort> like it!
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

berni is an unknown quantity at this point

"snort". i wonder how long your hairline has been receding.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:36 pm
@matthewb76

"snort". i wonder how long your hairline has been receding.
since I was 18 why? I can't help being full of testosterone mate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.