British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   British accents - and getting hooked up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-accents-getting-hooked-up-286250/)

berni Feb 23rd 2005 8:35 pm

British accents - and getting hooked up

As a teenage male, I've found that the accent is usually very useful with ladies. Most guys are cool with it too, the camp ones (though not necessarily gay) and middle aged/older guys. But what is it with younger guys? Is it the whole "damn british guy coming here to try and get hooked up" or envy or just competitiveness. Tell me your thoughts !!!

Manc Feb 23rd 2005 8:38 pm

Re: British accents - and getting hooked up

Originally Posted by berni
As a teenage male, I've found that the accent is usually very useful with ladies. Most guys are cool with it too, the camp ones (though not necessarily gay) and middle aged/older guys. But what is it with younger guys? Is it the whole "damn british guy coming here to try and get hooked up" or envy or just competitiveness. Tell me your thoughts !!!

many American women swooning over you in Rochdale are there?

NC Penguin Feb 23rd 2005 8:41 pm

You're a troll? You did ask for my thoughts...

NC Penguin

bionomique Feb 23rd 2005 8:48 pm

Why would you care what the younger guys thinK?

Manc Feb 23rd 2005 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by bionomique
Why would you care what the younger guys thinK?

sent you a PM.

Lion in Winter Feb 23rd 2005 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
many American women swooning over you in Rochdale are there?

Well I don't know, but he seems to be quite preoccupied by it. He's going on about it in the Australia forum, too.

bionomique Feb 23rd 2005 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Well I don't know, but he seems to be quite preoccupied by it. He's going on about it in the Australia forum, too.

'Nough said. Must NOT be working for him :)

Lion in Winter Feb 23rd 2005 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by bionomique
'Nough said. Must NOT be working for him :)

Of course if he is a teenage male, that is what they think about 99.9% of the time.

berni Feb 23rd 2005 10:01 pm

Of course if he is a teenage male, that is what they think about 99.9% of the time.

actaully its not a case of "its not working". US and Australia are both countries ive spent lots of time in, and its interesting the difference. youve had 7000 posts and you had the time to notice that i had posted it in different forums ... ouch, you need to think about getting hooked up a bit more mate ;)

snowbunny Feb 23rd 2005 10:34 pm

You mean have younger American guys beaten the sh%t out of an Englishman who's more successful at pulling than they are? Yeah. Got two friends (male) who've gone through this.

On the other hand, any bloke who's more successful at pulling might set someone off. Skinny geeky chaps who pull get the crap beaten out of them by unlucky blokes who think they've been slighted somehow.

Americans as a rule are pretty xenophobic and I've heard "I don't care you you are, you %(@*$g Limey!" more times than I care to have heard.

Lion in Winter Feb 23rd 2005 10:47 pm

actaully its not a case of "its not working". US and Australia are both countries ive spent lots of time in, and its interesting the difference. youve had 7000 posts and you had the time to notice that i had posted it in different forums ... ouch, you need to think about getting hooked up a bit more mate ;)

Funny, I never thought of it as a competition.

I don't actually get hooked up, I have human relationships. Lovely things they are, and the especially good part is that one's accent has nothing to do with it. This means that I have time for both sex and to make 7000 posts. Amazing how things work out. I'm also female, and I can assure you that I've never fallen for anyone because of their accent. My advice to you would be to work on developing interesting conversation. It's a lot sexier.

snowbunny Feb 23rd 2005 11:39 pm

I'm also female, and I can assure you that I've never fallen for anyone because of their accent. My advice to you would be to work on developing interesting conversation. It's a lot sexier.

True.... you have to be yourself, but getting current on things relevant to females would help. If nothing else, go hire _Love Actually_. There's a scene in there that's very relevant to English blokes in Yank bars. ;)

berni Feb 23rd 2005 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
True.... you have to be yourself, but getting current on things relevant to females would help. If nothing else, go hire _Love Actually_. There's a scene in there that's very relevant to English blokes in Yank bars. ;)

uh yeah. where do you think i got the inspiration from ??????

Lion in Winter Feb 23rd 2005 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny

Yes I remember that. But most young men just need to learn to talk normally to women. We are not, surprisingly enough, alien beings with funny little switches and buttons that can be pushed in order to get a certain result. In fact, the best thing is to treat us just as if we were normal intelligent human beings; and the man being a normal, intelligent human being as well helps of course. (Normal isn't crucial, the rest is.) But most young men aren't confident enough to do that yet. They're still thinking mostly about themselves (and how to get sex :D ).

Leslie Feb 23rd 2005 11:52 pm

uh yeah. where do you think i got the inspiration from ??????

Darling, it's not the accent that will get you an American woman.... I'm sorry to have to break it to you. Your luck with regards to picking up women will be completely determined by penis size. That is all women here care about.

If your equipment is less than 10 inches.... You may as well just kill yourself now. :)

Good luck!