Brit in LA

Old May 26th 2022, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit in LA

For the first 5 years we lived in the USA my wife did volunteer work at a local church, in the office, and also with a children’s soccer association, also in the office. More recently the wife of a nephew in the Bay Area worked as a volunteer at a local nature reserve for a few years. I think there are plenty of registered charities ready to take on volunteers in all sorts of roles.
Old May 28th 2022, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Personally, I would recommend a no-kill charity myself.
Absolutely.
Old May 29th 2022, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute

We've just come back from a scouting trip to South Orange Country and Thousand Oaks area. My wife cannot work (O2 visa) and there is a shortage of people who want to work at dog and cat boarding facilities which will suit perfectly as she basically runs one in the UK. As Pulaski said though, you cannot work for free in position what would or should normally pay a wage. However, we've been told that as long as the facility places an add somewhere (Craigslist, for example) stating that they are looking for short term volunteers, you simply apply and Bob's your Uncle.
Old May 29th 2022, 6:19 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mic1
We've just come back from a scouting trip to South Orange Country and Thousand Oaks area. My wife cannot work (O2 visa) and there is a shortage of people who want to work at dog and cat boarding facilities which will suit perfectly as she basically runs one in the UK. As Pulaski said though, you cannot work for free in position what would or should normally pay a wage. However, we've been told that as long as the facility places an add somewhere (Craigslist, for example) stating that they are looking for short term volunteers, you simply apply and Bob's your Uncle.
I don’t think that is going to work at a comercial pet boarding facility… if it was a non profit / shelter maybe… the best way to think about it is, are USC also volunteering for that same position unpaid as well….
Old May 29th 2022, 6:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I don’t think that is going to work at a comercial pet boarding facility… if it was a non profit / shelter maybe… the best way to think about it is, are USC also volunteering for that same position unpaid as well….
Agreed.

Old May 29th 2022, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
For every role that someone takes as a volunteer, they'll almost certainly be someone somewhere that is doing the exact same thing for payment.

FYI though, these particular volunteering roles are that of people who have plenty of time on their hands and walk the dogs as part of their 'own' keep fit regime.

Don't overthink it.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 29th 2022 at 9:40 pm. Reason: Fixed quote
Old May 29th 2022, 9:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

For every role that someone takes as a volunteer, they'll almost certainly be someone somewhere that is doing the exact same thing for payment.

FYI though, these particular volunteering roles are that of people who have plenty of time on their hands and walk the dogs as part of their 'own' keep fit regime.

Don't overthink it.
That’s all well and good if you have the right to work in the US. If you don’t…you are working illegally and there could well be consequences…
Old May 29th 2022, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That’s all well and good if you have the right to work in the US. If you don’t…you are working illegally and there could well be consequences…
So, which part of my reply do you disagree with?
Old May 29th 2022, 10:00 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Don't overthink it.

It’s the difference between walking dogs at a for profit business and at a nonprofit rescue shelter.
Old May 29th 2022, 10:07 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Don't overthink it.
I am not overthinking it, but don’t take my word for it, PU a lawyer for advice or look at what they say online:

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/i...--5331073.html
Old May 29th 2022, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

We're really having an online conversation about whether people donating their time FOC to help walk dogs on behalf of dog boarding kennels are high on the list of USICS targets. Really?