Bringing parents to Us

Bringing parents to Us

Old Aug 7th 2011, 7:00 am
Just Joined

Themo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing parents to Us

Hello,

I need help!

I want to bring my parents to Us. I`m a US citizen but didn`t work last year (I wasn`t in US since 6 years) so I could not fill tax return form.

My parents are retired (not from US of course) but they have assets.

We filled form I 130 and also I 864. I`m the sponsor (filled I 864 for them) but the thing is I`m not working right now.

So we found a joint sponsor, he filled tax return and form I864 for my parents and his income alone is much above the required level, so is there any problem now? I don`t have income but we found a joint sponsor, so do I still have to work to be able to bring my parents?

Thank you..

Last edited by Themo; Aug 7th 2011 at 7:03 am.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 10:12 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing parents to Us

Originally Posted by Themo
but they have assets...
do they want to keep them?
Old Aug 7th 2011, 12:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

I need help!

I want to bring my parents to Us. I`m a US citizen but didn`t work last year (I wasn`t in US since 6 years) so I could not fill tax return form.

My parents are retired (not from US of course) but they have assets.

We filled form I 130 and also I 864. I`m the sponsor (filled I 864 for them) but the thing is I`m not working right now.

So we found a joint sponsor, he filled tax return and form I864 for my parents and his income alone is much above the required level, so is there any problem now? I don`t have income but we found a joint sponsor, so do I still have to work to be able to bring my parents?

Thank you..
Welcome to BE.
Have you checked out healthcare insurance? That's probably going to be their biggest problem.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 3:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The oldie but the biggie.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Bringing parents to Us

I want to bring my parents to Us.
So, you're either living in the US now, or you're planning to move to the US with them, right? Have you given any thought to how you intend to demonstrate your intent to domicile in the US?

Ian
Old Aug 7th 2011, 5:26 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Better get filing your back tax returns. Just because you were not in the USA doesn't absolve you from the requirement to file a tax return each year.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

IIRC no income doesn't absolve you from filing tax returns either, it just makes it much simpler.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
IIRC no income doesn't absolve you from filing tax returns either, it just makes it much simpler.
No.

There is an income threshold below which one is not required to file a return.

The precise amount depends on your age (under or over 65) and filing status.

If your income is below that threshold you are not required to file.

See Do You Need to File a Federal Income Tax Return? for details.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 1:10 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.
Have you checked out healthcare insurance? That's probably going to be their biggest problem.
If you haven't answered this question all other questions are moot. You are looking at around $20,000 a year more than likely for healthcare coverage for them, and you and your sponsor will be on the hook legally should they not pay any of their bills (i.e. 'sponsorship' means that quite literally).

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Health_Insurance
Old Aug 8th 2011, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
If you haven't answered this question all other questions are moot. You are looking at around $20,000 a year more than likely for healthcare coverage for them, and you and your sponsor will be on the hook legally should they not pay any of their bills (i.e. 'sponsorship' means that quite literally).

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Health_Insurance
You are absolutely correct that the cost of health insurance for elderly parents is likely prohibitive - as I understand it, however, the sponsor is only really on the hook to ensure that the person does not become a public charge and to repay the US government for any means tested benefits that they may end up receiving - I don't think that they are responsible for other debts whether they be unpaid bills from credit card companies, hospitals or anywhere else ...
Old Aug 8th 2011, 2:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by md95065
You are absolutely correct that the cost of health insurance for elderly parents is likely prohibitive - as I understand it, however, the sponsor is only really on the hook to ensure that the person does not become a public charge and to repay the US government for any means tested benefits that they may end up receiving - I don't think that they are responsible for other debts whether they be unpaid bills from credit card companies, hospitals or anywhere else ...
They are not, that would be the equivalent of a co signer.

It is an interesting scenario, if you have elderly parent with resources and access to healthcare in their own country, not a good idea, if they have none, why not?
Old Aug 8th 2011, 2:29 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
You are correct and I was mistaken. It's means tested benefits provided by state, federal or private agencies (if there are private agencies providing such benefits). There have been some rumors regarding some health care that is paid for with state funds (i.e. like the situation in California) where there has been talk of seeking reimbursement from sponsors for medical expenses that might have been paid by the state-funded program but I don't believe it's moved beyond the hypothetical 'how do we raise more money' talks in the current budget debate.

I did see one forum in which they mentioned some states are trying to enforce these affidavits as contracts, but don't have much more to go on than a random posting:

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/is...g-a-11216.html

"You are unlikely to be disturbed by the private lenders or private agencies with which your brother-in-law may incur debts. However, in some states state or local agencies indeed are trying to enforce affidavits of support that are enforceable contracts. "

The underlying issue is still out there though--how will you they for health insurance for your parents.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 7:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

How old are they and where are they planning on heading to in the US?

Either way, probably not fun being uprooted and starting over if on the older side of things...
Old Aug 9th 2011, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

The lady who cuts my hair is Iranian, and has an elderly mother (80+). She brought her over very recently from Iran, and was able to get her covered to some extent on California's Medi-Cal program. I don't know the details, and I guess her family don't have much in the way of assets, but then - how come she was able to bring her mother in in the first place ...!
Old Aug 9th 2011, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Steerpike
The lady who cuts my hair is Iranian, and has an elderly mother (80+). She brought her over very recently from Iran, and was able to get her covered to some extent on California's Medi-Cal program. I don't know the details, and I guess her family don't have much in the way of assets, but then - how come she was able to bring her mother in in the first place ...!
The federal Medicare program says "no benefits for five years" under this program, but leaves it open to the states as to whether they will spend some of their own funds to help recent immigrants. Some states do, such as for pregnant women and for young children.

California is one of a dwindling number of states that makes available some of their state Medical funds for immigrants, but not the 'whole smash' of benefits. It's due in large part to such a high number of immigrants in California, but it is one of those things that is constantly on the budget cutting block.