British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Bringing parents to Us (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bringing-parents-us-727724/)

Themo Aug 7th 2011 7:00 am

Bringing parents to Us

Hello,

I need help!

I want to bring my parents to Us. I`m a US citizen but didn`t work last year (I wasn`t in US since 6 years) so I could not fill tax return form.

My parents are retired (not from US of course) but they have assets.

We filled form I 130 and also I 864. I`m the sponsor (filled I 864 for them) but the thing is I`m not working right now.

So we found a joint sponsor, he filled tax return and form I864 for my parents and his income alone is much above the required level, so is there any problem now? I don`t have income but we found a joint sponsor, so do I still have to work to be able to bring my parents?

Thank you..

Manc Aug 7th 2011 10:12 am

Re: Bringing parents to Us

Originally Posted by Themo (Post 9542529)
but they have assets...

do they want to keep them?

Jerseygirl Aug 7th 2011 12:29 pm

Hello,

I need help!

I want to bring my parents to Us. I`m a US citizen but didn`t work last year (I wasn`t in US since 6 years) so I could not fill tax return form.

My parents are retired (not from US of course) but they have assets.

We filled form I 130 and also I 864. I`m the sponsor (filled I 864 for them) but the thing is I`m not working right now.

So we found a joint sponsor, he filled tax return and form I864 for my parents and his income alone is much above the required level, so is there any problem now? I don`t have income but we found a joint sponsor, so do I still have to work to be able to bring my parents?

Thank you..

Welcome to BE.
Have you checked out healthcare insurance? That's probably going to be their biggest problem.

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 7th 2011 3:26 pm

The oldie but the biggie.

ian-mstm Aug 7th 2011 4:33 pm

I want to bring my parents to Us.

So, you're either living in the US now, or you're planning to move to the US with them, right? Have you given any thought to how you intend to demonstrate your intent to domicile in the US?

Ian

lansbury Aug 7th 2011 5:26 pm

Better get filing your back tax returns. Just because you were not in the USA doesn't absolve you from the requirement to file a tax return each year.

TimNiceBut Aug 7th 2011 7:17 pm

IIRC no income doesn't absolve you from filing tax returns either, it just makes it much simpler.

md95065 Aug 7th 2011 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut (Post 9543479)
IIRC no income doesn't absolve you from filing tax returns either, it just makes it much simpler.

No.

There is an income threshold below which one is not required to file a return.

The precise amount depends on your age (under or over 65) and filing status.

If your income is below that threshold you are not required to file.

See Do You Need to File a Federal Income Tax Return? for details.

penguinsix Aug 8th 2011 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9542899)
Welcome to BE.
Have you checked out healthcare insurance? That's probably going to be their biggest problem.

If you haven't answered this question all other questions are moot. You are looking at around $20,000 a year more than likely for healthcare coverage for them, and you and your sponsor will be on the hook legally should they not pay any of their bills (i.e. 'sponsorship' means that quite literally).

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Health_Insurance

md95065 Aug 8th 2011 2:04 am

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 9543848)
If you haven't answered this question all other questions are moot. You are looking at around $20,000 a year more than likely for healthcare coverage for them, and you and your sponsor will be on the hook legally should they not pay any of their bills (i.e. 'sponsorship' means that quite literally).

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Health_Insurance

You are absolutely correct that the cost of health insurance for elderly parents is likely prohibitive - as I understand it, however, the sponsor is only really on the hook to ensure that the person does not become a public charge and to repay the US government for any means tested benefits that they may end up receiving - I don't think that they are responsible for other debts whether they be unpaid bills from credit card companies, hospitals or anywhere else ...

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 8th 2011 2:19 am

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 9543918)
You are absolutely correct that the cost of health insurance for elderly parents is likely prohibitive - as I understand it, however, the sponsor is only really on the hook to ensure that the person does not become a public charge and to repay the US government for any means tested benefits that they may end up receiving - I don't think that they are responsible for other debts whether they be unpaid bills from credit card companies, hospitals or anywhere else ...

They are not, that would be the equivalent of a co signer.

It is an interesting scenario, if you have elderly parent with resources and access to healthcare in their own country, not a good idea, if they have none, why not?

penguinsix Aug 8th 2011 2:29 am

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 9543918)

You are correct and I was mistaken. It's means tested benefits provided by state, federal or private agencies (if there are private agencies providing such benefits). There have been some rumors regarding some health care that is paid for with state funds (i.e. like the situation in California) where there has been talk of seeking reimbursement from sponsors for medical expenses that might have been paid by the state-funded program but I don't believe it's moved beyond the hypothetical 'how do we raise more money' talks in the current budget debate.

I did see one forum in which they mentioned some states are trying to enforce these affidavits as contracts, but don't have much more to go on than a random posting:

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/is...g-a-11216.html

"You are unlikely to be disturbed by the private lenders or private agencies with which your brother-in-law may incur debts. However, in some states state or local agencies indeed are trying to enforce affidavits of support that are enforceable contracts. "

The underlying issue is still out there though--how will you they for health insurance for your parents.

Bob Aug 8th 2011 7:19 pm

How old are they and where are they planning on heading to in the US?

Either way, probably not fun being uprooted and starting over if on the older side of things...

Steerpike Aug 9th 2011 1:14 am

The lady who cuts my hair is Iranian, and has an elderly mother (80+). She brought her over very recently from Iran, and was able to get her covered to some extent on California's Medi-Cal program. I don't know the details, and I guess her family don't have much in the way of assets, but then - how come she was able to bring her mother in in the first place ...!

penguinsix Aug 9th 2011 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 9546088)
The lady who cuts my hair is Iranian, and has an elderly mother (80+). She brought her over very recently from Iran, and was able to get her covered to some extent on California's Medi-Cal program. I don't know the details, and I guess her family don't have much in the way of assets, but then - how come she was able to bring her mother in in the first place ...!

The federal Medicare program says "no benefits for five years" under this program, but leaves it open to the states as to whether they will spend some of their own funds to help recent immigrants. Some states do, such as for pregnant women and for young children.

California is one of a dwindling number of states that makes available some of their state Medical funds for immigrants, but not the 'whole smash' of benefits. It's due in large part to such a high number of immigrants in California, but it is one of those things that is constantly on the budget cutting block.