Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

bringing contraception / birth control into the USA

bringing contraception / birth control into the USA

Old Nov 2nd 2011, 3:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bringing contraception / birth control into the USA

Originally Posted by thesuz
I am on my dad's health insurance I am just trying to fight paying for it (its incredibly corrupt that we have to pay not to get pregnant).

I have talked to my DR about having the pill for so long, he said as i've been on it for 4 years already and am very healthy there is no issue to take it unchecked. They said I should check my blood pressure every 6 months and if all is well then its fine to keep taking the pills.
If your doctor said it's OK to take a prescription med for 3 years without a check up he/she needs reporting.

If Ozzio sees this thread I would be interested to read her comments.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 3:42 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Planned Parenthood would be the answer or like me just get an appointment with a local Doctor every 6 months for a check up/ chat and they wll renew the pill automatically at your local pharmacist, some Dr's will allow this for a 12 month's time frame....I pay $27 a month, but I was on one that made me sick to my stomach (everyone is different) and it was only $9 a month.

The Pharmacist does not release 6 months in my go, they let you pick up 1 months worth and will phone you to remind you the prescription is ready!!
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I am on my dad's health insurance I am just trying to fight paying for it (its incredibly corrupt that we have to pay not to get pregnant).

I have talked to my DR about having the pill for so long, he said as i've been on it for 4 years already and am very healthy there is no issue to take it unchecked. They said I should check my blood pressure every 6 months and if all is well then its fine to keep taking the pills.
I'm a little confused here. Are you saying you do have your Dad's health insurance but it doesn't cover contraception?

You should be checked periodically though. The pill can lead to strokes even in young women.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 3:46 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Remember just because you like Microgynon 30 now does not mean that it will suit your body in 3 years time, as we get older and hormones change so might your levels of estrogen and progestrone, body weight that are controlling your monthly cycle.....I was on a pill from the UK for about 8 years and all of a sudden I started to get dizzy and had sickness, changed it and I was fine, this was back in the early 90's!!
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 3:50 pm

Did you declare the pills when you came into the states? Im moving to SF, I noticed it says you're from Northern CA. Can you just drop into planned parenthood and get pills? How much are pills?
I am in Northern CA if you go to PPH they will want you to fill out a questionaire about your financials if you are below the threshold then its free and they ask for a donation, if you are above the threshold then they will put you on a sliding scale based on your income etc.

Last edited by Poppy girl; Nov 2nd 2011 at 4:27 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 4:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... its incredibly corrupt that we have to pay not to get pregnant.
I find this highly amusing insofar as the decision to have sex is entirely within your control. That said, you're not paying "not to get pregnant"... you're paying for the privilege of having a romp in the hay without the ensuing responsibility.

Ian
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 4:34 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

We are moving to the USA in Dec and are having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that we will need to have insurance to have contraception/ Birth control. As such, I have been doing the rounds to a few sexual health clinics to get as much contraception as I can. At this point i've got three years worth of Microgynon 30.

Questions:

1.Will I be hassled at US customs for having this amount of contraception?
2.Does anyone know if Microgynon 30(or the same drug with a diff name) exists in the US?
Microgynon doesn't exist in the US, Levora was the closest match my doctor could find but it is different, it took me a few months to adjust to it.

It cost's $12 for a 3 month supply if I order it by mail. If you pick up at your local pharmacy they will only allow you to have a 1 month supply at a time.

I'm not sure why you think contraceptive should be free, it's not like condoms are free at the pharmacy why should the pill be?
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 4:49 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Remember just because you like Microgynon 30 now does not mean that it will suit your body in 3 years time, as we get older and hormones change so might your levels of estrogen and progestrone, body weight that are controlling your monthly cycle.....I was on a pill from the UK for about 8 years and all of a sudden I started to get dizzy and had sickness, changed it and I was fine, this was back in the early 90's!!
Very true. I have changed pills over the years as I have gotten older.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I'm watching this thread, back later to comment.

One question to the OP. How can you still be on your father's health insurance as a married woman? Curious minds wish to know
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Yep. Had a similar patient today.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 4:56 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Didn't the feds just mandate the provision of free contraception to all health insurance providers?
That's supposed to go into effect in August 2012.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I'm watching this thread, back later to comment.

One question to the OP. How can you still be on your father's health insurance as a married woman? Curious minds wish to know
I was wondering the same thing. Also if you're notliving in the US what health insurance are you on?
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Microgynon doesn't exist in the US, Levora was the closest match my doctor could find but it is different, it took me a few months to adjust to it.
Be aware, if you require a specific brand of birth control (or other medication for that matter) for what ever reason, it can cause problems with some insurance plans who will insist on only covering generics or similar but different brands. Sometimes "dispense as written" is ignored unless you have a really nice pharmacist which is rare these days.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:34 pm

I remember when my doctor would just give me 6 months worth of sample because he had so many from the pharmaceutical reps.Those days are long gone. I get my pills on mail order from Costco.com. My pill costs $15 a month and free shipping. It arrives in about less than a week when I reorder.

Any doctor that says you are healthy now so here is 3 years worth of pills is incredibly irresponsible! Just because your blood pressure is OK and you're young and healthy now does not mean that you will be 3 years from now! That is frightening to me!
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Is planned parenthood an option?
Depends where you live, might not be practical....in some parts of Maine, it's only open a couple hours during the day, two days a week.

Also, cost is a sliding scale, depends how much you earn, can be cheap, or might not be.

Insurance is a weird one, for instance, the missus previous insurance wouldn't cover it, but would cover an abortion. Current one doesn't cover the pill, but does cover the cost of a IUD, but not the "instillation" as they put it...PP won't help there because the insurance offers the device, so PP won't put it in and local doctors charge $300 to put it in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.