Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

bringing contraception / birth control into the USA

bringing contraception / birth control into the USA

Old Nov 2nd 2011, 10:08 am
Just Joined

thesuz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bringing contraception / birth control into the USA

We are moving to the USA in Dec and are having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that we will need to have insurance to have contraception/ Birth control. As such, I have been doing the rounds to a few sexual health clinics to get as much contraception as I can. At this point i've got three years worth of Microgynon 30.

Questions:

1.Will I be hassled at US customs for having this amount of contraception?
2.Does anyone know if Microgynon 30(or the same drug with a diff name) exists in the US?
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bringing contraception / birth control into the USA

Originally Posted by thesuz View Post
We are moving to the USA in Dec and are having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that we will need to have insurance to have contraception/ Birth control. As such, I have been doing the rounds to a few sexual health clinics to get as much contraception as I can. At this point i've got three years worth of Microgynon 30.

Questions:

2.Does anyone know if Microgynon 30(or the same drug with a diff name) exists in the US?
Depending on what insurance you will have once you're here, but with a good insurance for prescriptions birth control here can cost as little as $5 a month.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 10:53 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Questions:

Google is your friend: "norgestimate-ethinyl estradiol Oral" is the generic name.

As a general rule, US Customs has no problem with prescription medications for personal use. I have no idea what they will think of 36 packages. BTW, what is the shelf-life of the stuff? That is something to consider.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S Folinsky View Post
Google is your friend: "norgestimate-ethinyl estradiol Oral" is the generic name.

As a general rule, US Customs has no problem with prescription medications for personal use. I have no idea what they will think of 36 packages. BTW, what is the shelf-life of the stuff? That is something to consider.
Thanks, for your advise. The expiry date is 2016 so im ok in that department.

Is planned parenthood an option?
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lisa67 View Post
Depending on what insurance you will have once you're here, but with a good insurance for prescriptions birth control here can cost as little as $5 a month.
I don't know when we'll have health insurance. Is planned parenthood an option?
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the US does have an organization called "Planned Parenthood". Google it.

Many healthcare prescription plans do not cover birth control pills and/or devices. The cost is so low, however, that I don't think a monthly prescription will render you homeless.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't the feds just mandate the provision of free contraception to all health insurance providers?
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Questions:

I am pretty sure you can't bring that amount of prescription medication into the US and that the limit is 3 months worth. First you need to find out if the med is approved by the FDA...if not you cannot bring it with you...or send it to an address in the US.

Take a read through this:

http://www.fda.gov/ForIndustry/Impor.../ucm173743.htm

BTW aren't you rolling the dice a little by taking oral contraception that's over 3 years old?
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rpjs View Post
Didn't the feds just mandate the provision of free contraception to all health insurance providers?
I no nothing about that. Where can i find information about that?
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I no nothing about that. Where can i find information about that?
As mentioned, Google is your friend.

Ian
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 2:22 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I am pretty sure you can't bring that amount of prescription medication into the US and that the limit is 3 months worth. First you need to find out if the med is approved by the FDA...if not you cannot bring it with you...or send it to an address in the US.

Take a read through this:

http://www.fda.gov/ForIndustry/Impor.../ucm173743.htm

BTW aren't you rolling the dice a little by taking oral contraception that's over 3 years old?
It's not a problem so long as it isn't expired, she'd mentioned it was good till 2016.
I bought a years supply with me when I arrived, then I saw a local doc and he gave me a prescription for the closest one he had.
Planned parenthood and the like usually only give a couple months of pills here and tell you to go get a prescription from your doc. It may be different in other areas, no idea.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills View Post
It's not a problem so long as it isn't expired, she'd mentioned it was good till 2016.
I bought a years supply with me when I arrived, then I saw a local doc and he gave me a prescription for the closest one he had.
Planned parenthood and the like usually only give a couple months of pills here and tell you to go get a prescription from your doc. It may be different in other areas, no idea.
Did you declare the pills when you came into the states? Im moving to SF, I noticed it says you're from Northern CA. Can you just drop into planned parenthood and get pills? How much are pills?
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 3:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Did you declare the pills when you came into the states? Im moving to SF, I noticed it says you're from Northern CA. Can you just drop into planned parenthood and get pills? How much are pills?
I presume they weren't declared as you are not allowed to bring 12 months supply of prescription meds into the US.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know when we'll have health insurance. Is planned parenthood an option?
You seem to be fixating on the contraception, but surely not having health insurance is going to be a worry?

You aren't supposed to just take the pill for years on end without any check-ups either.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
You seem to be fixating on the contraception, but surely not having health insurance is going to be a worry?

You aren't supposed to just take the pill for years on end without any check-ups either.
I am on my dad's health insurance I am just trying to fight paying for it (its incredibly corrupt that we have to pay not to get pregnant).

I have talked to my DR about having the pill for so long, he said as i've been on it for 4 years already and am very healthy there is no issue to take it unchecked. They said I should check my blood pressure every 6 months and if all is well then its fine to keep taking the pills.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.