Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Brexit Britain vs Trump's America?

Brexit Britain vs Trump's America?

Old Jan 24th 2017, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

transatlantic_chap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brexit Britain vs Trump's America?

I was just wondering if there were other people in this group who were torn between these two problematic options.

I have always seen my dual US/UK citizenship as a 'best of both worlds' situation, but lately both countries seem to be going through some pretty turbulent times and I am having a hard time deciding which would be best for my family.

Currently in the UK, where the 'cost of living vs. salary' ratio feels pretty out of whack to me, even though there are lots of lovely things about living here. That sense of just barely scraping by is hard to shake, and when I look at jobs/houses in the US I am seeing a lot more attractive options. Also, I do keep thinking that although I personally can't stand Trump, at least he is only for four years, whereas the Brexit change is a permanent one.

I dunno, just thought I'd see if anyone else was wrestling with this question, and what conclusions (if any) you have reached.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit Britain vs Trump's America?

Originally Posted by transatlantic_chap
I was just wondering if there were other people in this group who were torn between these two problematic options.

I have always seen my dual US/UK citizenship as a 'best of both worlds' situation, but lately both countries seem to be going through some pretty turbulent times and I am having a hard time deciding which would be best for my family.

Currently in the UK, where the 'cost of living vs. salary' ratio feels pretty out of whack to me, even though there are lots of lovely things about living here. That sense of just barely scraping by is hard to shake, and when I look at jobs/houses in the US I am seeing a lot more attractive options. Also, I do keep thinking that although I personally can't stand Trump, at least he is only for four years, whereas the Brexit change is a permanent one.

I dunno, just thought I'd see if anyone else was wrestling with this question, and what conclusions (if any) you have reached.

I don't know if the US is the easier option. Loads of people scraping by too and even if Trump creates more manufacturing jobs, products won't be cheaper and people still end up poor. You can be happy in any country and just depends if you picked the right area for your skills.

Brexit was good for some of us in Ireland and bad for others but life will go on.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion is whatever the president is, whatever he or she stands for, whatever party they represent, focus on yours and your families life.

Make life better for you and those around you. Make a positive contribution for the years you can.

Too many people are getting caught up in doom and gloom and self pitty.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment, it's entirely too early to say. Brexit hasn't happened and Trump hasn't probably figured out where to get milk at 2am in his new neighborhood.

I loath everything he stands for, but much like life under Bush and Obama...day to day life isn't going to change that much. You're still going to have to get up too early to go to a job that you don't particularly like...just like before. Sure some bigger things may change, but the fundamentals won't.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

catlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond repute

I would be very surprised if Brexit every materialised. I simply do not see it happening given all the political wranglings.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 2:16 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by catlover3
I would be very surprised if Brexit every materialised. I simply do not see it happening given all the political wranglings.
It will happen and it will be a disaster.......then it might get rolled back a bit.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 2:31 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by transatlantic_chap
I'm a US/UK dual citizen and depressed by the current situation in both the US and the UK. I believe that both countries have taken very wrong and worrying turns that will be bad economically and socially for most people. BREXIT worries me a bit more because it was a majority vote.....at least Trump won on the electoral college and not a majority vote so I still have some faith in the US electorate.

Right now I would not want to live in the UK because I think it's become an "ugly" place and living in New England at least I'm a bit insulated from the attitudes and policies of Trumpism.

I predict a short life for this thread.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

It will definitely happen. There is far too much political pressure for it not to.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

catlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
It will definitely happen. There is far too much political pressure for it not to.

Or it will happen, but it won't look anything like the way Farage and co want it to.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Or it will happen, but it won't look anything like the way Farage and co want it to.
Nah, Theresa May is pretty sold on that idea of "hard brexit".
Old Jan 24th 2017, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

jambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond repute

The supreme court have said parliament cannot vote on the Brexit situation and must push ahead with it!
Old Jan 24th 2017, 4:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jambey2510
The supreme court have said parliament cannot vote on the Brexit situation and must push ahead with it!
Either your head is on upside down, or you're living an alternative universe.

The BBC is reporting that the government cannot proceed with Brexit until parliament was voted to approve it.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jambey2510
It's all about "alternative facts" these days!
Old Jan 25th 2017, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find parts of the "should we stay or should we go" thread that has been running recently addresses your question somewhat.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

JaneFW has a reputation beyond reputeJaneFW has a reputation beyond reputeJaneFW has a reputation beyond reputeJaneFW has a reputation beyond reputeJaneFW has a reputation beyond reputeJaneFW has a reputation beyond reputeJaneFW has a reputation beyond reputeJaneFW has a reputation beyond reputeJaneFW has a reputation beyond reputeJaneFW has a reputation beyond reputeJaneFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I'm a US/UK dual citizen and depressed by the current situation in both the US and the UK. I believe that both countries have taken very wrong and worrying turns that will be bad economically and socially for most people. BREXIT worries me a bit more because it was a majority vote.....at least Trump won on the electoral college and not a majority vote so I still have some faith in the US electorate.

Right now I would not want to live in the UK because I think it's become an "ugly" place and living in New England at least I'm a bit insulated from the attitudes and policies of Trumpism.

I predict a short life for this thread.
TBH, the thought of life under Trump is putting jet fuel under our plans to return to the UK! That's not what started those thoughts, but living in Texas - even though ours is an unusually blue city amidst so many red - we're at least weekly outraged to find out what our state's idiotic leaders have recently had to say or are thinking about doing. Ugh. I'm running back to Yorkshire ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.