Bread!

Old Mar 25th 2013, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Suz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bread!

Hi all

I first posted a few months ago for advice about our relocation to New Jersey. Well, we finally managed to negotiate a better deal with my husband's company, got our visas and here we are!

As the title of my post suggests, I am want to talk about bread. Does anyone know where I can buy some that doesn't have sugar in it? Have tried loads of different kinds but find them all far too sweet! I bought some Rye bread which was quite nice, however my kids won't eat it, I need to find a nice wholemeal one but without sugar.

Also, and this may sound silly, but does anyone know where I can buy kids' toothpaste which is mint flavoured, instead of fruity? My kids don't like the fruit flavoured ones and I'm now having trouble trying to get them to brush their teeth.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 25th 2013, 12:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bread!

Make your own, or find a local bakery, quite a few of those and pretty decent, but a bit pricey, well $5-8 a loaf I think is pretty pricey.

Whole Foods and Trader Joes have decent bread too and Wegmans have decent loaves for reasonable money.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I finally got a bread-making machine for this reason.

There is no equivalent of ordinary non-sweet British supermarket bread, you will have to get specialty loaves as Bob outlined.

Do kids need special toothpaste? I think mine just had the same as us.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 1:16 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean about the mint toothpaste! There are some avaliable from the big brands, you just have to hunt round. Think it was a CVS I found it in last time.
http://www.crest.com/crest-products/...spiderman.aspx
This is one example.
@Sally, think its the fluoride amount that differs in children's toothpaste
Old Mar 25th 2013, 1:17 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest buying a bread maker and making your own. I let mine go through the dough cycle and then do the final rise in a tin and cook it in the oven. That way, I get the shape of bread I like without a big whole in the bottom of it.

Sadly, my bread maker just died so I've been making it by hand and it's not nearly as arduous I remember it being.

Can't help with the kids toothpaste though. Sorry.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 1:18 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There are severally widely available breads that have very low or no added sugar. Look for the low carb, whole wheat, or whole grain varieties of Nature's Own or Arnold brands.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Not sure about the bread, to be honest I dislike the bread both here and in the UK! (I'm from Sweden). As for toothpaste we get people in the UK to send it to us! We use Aquafresh milk teeth and little teeth toothpaste for our kids and also some Swedish brands. They all have fluoride in them, here kids toothpaste doesn't. I think it's because it's not good to swallow it. But yeah you could use adult toothpaste for them and only use a little?
Old Mar 25th 2013, 1:24 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

You can't always go by the ingredient panel. A small amount of sugar might be necessary to feed the yeast, depending on the composition of the flours and the type of yeast used. I haven't bought bread with sugar in it for many years. Usually I buy it from the bakery counter in the market, rather than from the bread aisle. If you are wanting to buy a commercial white sandwich bread from the bread aisle, I am afraid you're probably out of luck.

In the past I have made my own bread in the breadmaker, but found that for proper rising even then I need to add a few pinches of sugar. Normally it gets used up by the yeast anyway and the finished product is not sweet.

I'm over 40 and I can't remember when I have ever used anything but ordinary Colgate toothpaste, which is mint-flavored and perfectly appropriate for kids.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 1:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
You can't always go by the ingredient panel. A small amount of sugar might be necessary to feed the yeast, depending on the composition of the flours and the type of yeast used. I haven't bought bread with sugar in it for many years. Usually I buy it from the bakery counter in the market, rather than from the bread aisle. If you are wanting to buy a commercial white sandwich bread from the bread aisle, I am afraid you're probably out of luck.

In the past I have made my own bread in the breadmaker, but found that for proper rising even then I need to add a few pinches of sugar. Normally it gets used up by the yeast anyway and the finished product is not sweet.

I'm over 40 and I can't remember when I have ever used anything but ordinary Colgate toothpaste, which is mint-flavored and perfectly appropriate for kids.
Thing is, it usually isn't sugar, but HFCS.

It wouldn't be so bad if it were sugar.

Can find some loaves that use honey or maple syrup....but they're usually not in the cheapo loaves and with a couple of kids, $5 loaves of bread isn't really affordable, not for us at least.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

I make bread a couple of times a week.
1tsp dry yeast
1tsp sugar
1tsp flour
Mix with a small amount of warm water and wait for it to froth
3 cups bread flour
2 tsp salt .. ish
add the yeast mix to the flour and add water until the dough is soft and gooey. I mix mine in my kitchenaid mixer then give it a quick knead and put it to rise in a bread tin. Once its risen level with the top I bake for @ 25-30mins @ 370.
Easy as chips and much nicer than commercial bread
Old Mar 25th 2013, 11:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Try Italian bread...there are several of Italian bakeries around here. My local supermarket (King's) sell it in their fresh bread dept.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I discovered Ezekiel 4:9 bread last year - organic grains, no sugar, no preservatives and has high protein. Tastes good too - can get it at Trader Joes and some supermarkets..
Old Mar 25th 2013, 2:26 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
I discovered Ezekiel 4:9 bread last year - organic grains, no sugar, no preservatives and has high protein. Tastes good too - can get it at Trader Joes and some supermarkets..
It's out with the other bread at Trader Joe's, but usually in the freezer in other markets. TJ's has its own version. It's not white bread like kids expect in sandwiches, but it is good.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Suz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the tips! Looks like I may be investing in a bread maker.

I actually found one today in Kings ( thanks Jerseygirl) which is an Italian whole wheat Panella, will give it a try and see how they like it!

As for the toothpaste, thanks for the link Weeze! To the others who replied, my kids are only 5 and 2 and they find adult toothpaste too strong.

I'm actually shocked at the amount of sugar in basic grocery items here, especially having lived in Denmark for the past 4 years where sugar is totally frowned upon. Everything seems to taste so much sweeter here!
Old Mar 26th 2013, 3:12 pm
Devourer of Books

Pegster is an unknown quantity at this point

I usually buy Arnold's Premium Italian bread. There's no HFCS and only a small amount of sugar (for the yeast I would expect). The husband (northern irish) finds it acceptable, thankfully!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.