Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Brazilian family intends to sue police

Brazilian family intends to sue police

Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bralian family intends to sue police

Originally Posted by elfman
That's unfair (and bordering on offensive to the family) and you know it.
If a close relative of yours visiting New York was overpowered and shot seven times in the head by the NYPD when he hadn't committed any crime other than overstaying his visa and then doing a runner when confronted by armed men in plain clothes yelling at him, are you saying you wouldn't sue? Get real.
Do you think that on any day prior to September 11th or the London Bombings he would have been shot?

There is an understandably increased level of security in London at this time. The police know that there is a cell of prospective suicide bombers operating in London... They are still on the loose!

If a random guy was killed for just running from the police on any other day, I would say that there was a cause for serious outcry. Even another argument for British Police not carrying firearms!

We now know that he ran because his visa had expired... The policemen who confronted him last Friday AM did not have the luxury of knowing that. They were operating on intelligence found on the scene of one of the previous days attempted bombs. They had to make a decision based on what they knew at the time.

Hindsight has 20-20 vision.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:00 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
On a normal day...I would be as mad as hell....but this was not a normal day.....and overstaying a visa is a crime.........a big crime.......and we are too darn PC to see this.........
It wasn't a normal day?
did the sun rise in the west?

If the train bombings never took place. would killing this man still be justifiable?
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
It's a toughie, no doubt about it.

I just don't think it's right going around killing people in the middle of London.

Sure one can argue that the terrorists are uncivilised bastards. Yet I think we, the British nation are better than that.

You fight evil with evil then evil wins no matter.
The phrase is reasonable force, might have been an automatic, I think it unlikely it was a standard issue revolver, Perhaps I am thinking too much of Dirty Harry?

As a tax payer, I certainly do not begrudge the cost of an extra couple of bullets. I am not sure what the point is otherwise.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:06 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbickle
Point 1: Instead of grieving their loss, they are talking about suing. I have no sympathy for people like that.

Point 2: My family would not be stupid enough to run away from the police, especially the day after an attempted bombing on the Subway.

Point 3: If a member of my family was killed, I'd call the funeral home not my attorney. You are the one who need to get real...
Sorry, I was forgetting that you know the family personally and have spent quality time with them since he was shot. How do you know what they've been up to or how they've personally reacted? Just because they've mentioned suing doesn't mean that's all they've done or thought about.

Doubtless your family are all very intelligent and quick-witted, but you have, I'm afraid, absolutely no way of knowing what situation you or your family might find themselves facing in these times or how you/they would react to it.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
The phrase is reasonable force, might have been an automatic, I think it unlikely it was a standard issue revolver, Perhaps I am thinking too much of Dirty Harry?
I very much doubt he would have been using a Dirty Harry style revolver. It would have probably been a semi-automatic handgun.

Reasonable force is the way to look at it... They were in a situation where they had to take the guy down (based on the information they had available to them) and probably kept firing until he hit the ground.

It is not excessive force if you think you are going to save the lives of the innocent.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:07 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

It's a toughie, no doubt about it.

I just don't think it's right going around killing people in the middle of London.

Sure one can argue that the terrorists are uncivilised bastards. Yet I think we, the British nation are better than that.

You fight evil with evil then evil wins no matter.

And people doing the bombings play on the idea that we are better than that..!...and that..I believe is our downfall.....its why we are sitting targets........its why more and more people will die on their way to work in London....NewYork.....anywhere.......because we are so nice....its not evil to try to save people from being blown up.....its just sad that the first time this happens its some dozy sod who had to run into a subway and not the park the day after a bomb attack........
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:08 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me that Londoners previously had the possibility of contemplating over their cornflakes that they would die today from a terrorist bomb on their way to work. Now, provided the gods are smiling and they manage to avoid the rucksack-carrying virgin hunters, they can walk into a bobby's bullet instead. Surely this is the wrong direction to go in?
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:11 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I believe is our downfall..
Our downfall is our mid east policy.

They don't hate our freedoms, they don't hate our way of life.
you don't see Switzerland having this problem.........
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by strim
being guilty of an expired visa and running from plain clothes policeman never used to be a capital offence.
I tried this argument on the other thread, of course we didn't know his visa had expired at the time. You'll not get far with this crowd with that sentiment. Maybe people, if they decide to run, should carry large placards that state "I'm not a terrorist" perhaps that might help to single them out a bit better.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:13 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by fatbrit
they can walk into a bobby's bullet instead. Surely this is the wrong direction to go in?
Only if you're wearing a coat and running

suicide bomber behavouir that is.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:14 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

It wasn't a normal day?
did the sun rise in the west?

If the train bombings never took place. would killing this man still be justifiable?
No it would not have been OK to kill a guy for running away before the bombings took place..that is a stupid question to ask ...and if you have links where the police have done this in the London underground in the past...please post them.........it was not a normal day for anyone traveling the subway.... it was a day of fearful traveling for most Londoners.......
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:14 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Sorry, I was forgetting that you know the family personally and have spent quality time with them since he was shot. How do you know what they've been up to or how they've personally reacted? Just because they've mentioned suing doesn't mean that's all they've done or thought about.

Doubtless your family are all very intelligent and quick-witted, but you have, I'm afraid, absolutely no way of knowing what situation you or your family might find themselves facing in these times or how you/they would react to it.
Unfortunately I only have to media as my basis to judge the family for their reaction. But every single source I've read talks more about the family's anger than their grief.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:15 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbickle
Unfortunately I only have to media as my basis to judge the family for their reaction. But every single source I've read talks more about the family's anger than their grief.
Like you wouldn't be angry in their situation?
At least try and empathize.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:16 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I tried this argument on the other thread, of course we didn't know his visa had expired at the time. You'll not get far with this crowd with that sentiment. Maybe people, if they decide to run, should carry large placards that state "I'm not a terrorist" perhaps that might help to single them out a bit better.
Or maybe they just should not run. Or does that just sound too much like common sense?
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:17 pm
@matthewb76

No it would not have been OK to kill a guy for running away before the bombings took place..that is a stupid question to ask .....
so what law was changed since July 7th.
in order that allows police to kill people

show me that link first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.