Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Boy Scouts Medical Requirements

Wikiposts

Boy Scouts Medical Requirements

Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:23 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all
Default Re: Boy Scouts Medical Requirements

I had to have a smear test every year before summer camp to check that I didn't have cervical cancer.
It was also standard practice to be tested for AIDS and any STDs before spending 6 weeks away from the oldies.
I just grinned and bore it.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
As a woman you go once a year (yes, every 3 years in the UK) anyway so you might as well get a physical at the same time. My daughters are just getting used to what they'll be doing in the future.
That is 5 years now in the UK....
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
That is 5 years now in the UK....
Scary
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

BP ? What child has BP taken unless they are in A&E ?
All of them, at least if you go to Kaiser. DS at 4 years old just looked bemused when they did his a few months ago. Certainly nothing to be scared of. They even do different size cuffs for different sized people. If you're an adult then you get the weight and BP every time you visit. I can't understand why but my BP has gone from borderline high to perfectly normal over the last few months.

Anyway, just do it for the kid. If it's the normal thing in the US then just roll with it. Summer camp is a fantastic experience for the kids (having seen it from the counselor side many years ago) and fear of a ten minute once-over could literally ruin the summer if he's not allowed to go.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:31 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

That's a awfully long time for an undetectable cancer to go untreated for. Especially as I, like most women, delay the exams anyway.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:32 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

The Nazis and the Swedish were very keen on collecting physical data...
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
It's not about the Scouts. There is no centralised system here, so every organisation has to do its own thing. Scouts, sports team etc.

In UK, I suppose the GP does standard tests once in a while, and thereafter, the scouts,etc only require a "doctors note" type thing to cover their concerns/liability, not a new exam/report.

I hardly go to doctors, but each time I have, I had to do the full new patient/history palava as they have no record from previous doc, and even if they did they would not trust it, i guess.

Having been a Scouter in the UK, no, there is NO requirement for medical records for Scouts. To ask and then deny access would be discriminatory and I could be sued on that basis.

There IS a requirement to disclose any communicable diseases, but those would be picked-up at school anyway - after all, Scouts is a 1-day-per-weke activity whereas school is compulsory for all children between 5 and 16, soon to be 18. So, any medical issues are going to be picked up at school, reported via the local council's Public Health service and find their way back to the NHS.

One of my relatives is a Public Health Doctor - he spends his time working with schools, colleges, etc to identify trends in infection and ensure that any remedial action is taken before there is mass infection (for example the Swine Flu epidemic).

The NHS National Records system holds all patients medical and immunisation history - it is donkey's years late, but virtually there now (it was due to go live in 1998 - that is how behind we are).

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Godwin!!!!
Banned

That's a awfully long time for an undetectable cancer to go untreated for. Especially as I, like most women, delay the exams anyway.
There is a vaccine now, which women can take as soon as they are sexually active, to prevent cervical cancer. So there will e no need for smear tests in the future.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Incidence of cervical cancer and clear-up rates have been steadily improving in the UK and EU mostly due to lifestyle changes. As I say, preventative only works if you get everyone that is at risk, and unfortunately, that tends to be the poorest in society that tend not to get checked.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRG67
There is a vaccine now, which women can take as soon as they are sexually active, to prevent cervical cancer. So there will e no need for smear tests in the future.
Not true.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Anyway, just do it for the kid. If it's the normal thing in the US then just roll with it. Summer camp is a fantastic experience for the kids (having seen it from the counselor side many years ago) and fear of a ten minute once-over could literally ruin the summer if he's not allowed to go.
Absolutely agree with this. My kids went to a Western-themed two-week camp, with horse riding, archery, camp craft, ton of other sports and crafts, etc. They had the most fabulous time, and matured enormously by the time we picked them up (they were 12 and 8; we were a bit unsure about the 8 yr old, for two weeks! but she assured us she would be fine. She was )

Honestly, don't make him miss it because you want to make a stand. All the other kids will be talking about it, and he'll feel horribly left out. If he explains he couldn't go because he didn't want to/ his parents wouldn't let him take a basic medical, the other kids will just think he's weird: when in Rome, and all that...
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:42 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Good god ! That kind of thing went out with National Service in the 1950s with "Cough and Drop !" Maybe I need to check what I can refuse on the form before the camp says no go....

There is the annual weigh-in at school, but that is just a check of height/weight.
Err, no it didn't. School checks in the 90s in the UK. I was there, I remember!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
Absolutely agree with this. My kids went to a Western-themed two-week camp, with horse riding, archery, camp craft, ton of other sports and crafts, etc. They had the most fabulous time, and matured enormously by the time we picked them up (they were 12 and 8; we were a bit unsure about the 8 yr old, for two weeks! but she assured us she would be fine. She was )

Honestly, don't make him miss it because you want to make a stand. All the other kids will be talking about it, and he'll feel horribly left out. If he explains he couldn't go because he didn't want to/ his parents wouldn't let him take a basic medical, the other kids will just think he's weird: when in Rome, and all that...
Exactly. Whingeing about something that is not harming someone and may prove helpful is ridiculous.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Not true.
It is true. Google Dr Ryo Konno. He helped develop it in the States. It is available from this year in Japan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.