Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Boxing Day Food

Wikiposts

Boxing Day Food

Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boxing Day Food

Originally Posted by Sue
Yummy, thanks. Maybe I'll give it a go.
I think there is at least one recipe for Scotch eggs in the Recipe Thread.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
I'm so jealous, I'd kill for a Scotch egg. No chance of getting one of those around here and I'm too afraid to try and make one.
Yeah Sue, if you can get decent sausagemeat, they're actually a doddle to make, you should give it a go..... I made my own sausage rolls the other day, and they were not too shabby, but I digress from the point of this thread....

On that note, we always had some kind of dish with leftover turkey, leftover ham etc and my mum always had the ASDA snacky things ie sausage rolls, vol-u-vents etc for people to nibble on when and where they chose, that's my memories of Boxing Day. We'll be back in the UK this year and will be at my in-laws for Boxing Day, which I think will be either homemade steak pie or some more turkey
Old Nov 16th 2011, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

We always spent the day with grandparents and had Roast Pork.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 9:00 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

And lots of piccalilli with cold cuts mmmmm. Some smoked salmon on the buffet too. This thread is making me so hungry.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Scotch eggs
Quiche
Turkey
Ham
Pork Pies
Pickled Onions
Various sandwiches
Sherry Trifle
Chocolate Log
Mince Pies
Christmas Cake

We always had a large roast dinner...with roast pork, roasties and veg.

All that lovely food. You hit it spot on. I loved Yule log - and mince pies and pickled onions... ! I made roast potatoes once for my husband's American family and they poked at them first like they were about to explode.

Good luck on your Boxing Day feast.. I think we need to introduce Boxing Day over here.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:50 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

5 bottles of wine and some bubble and squeek.

seriously though....

leftover turkey and ham from the day before,
bubble and squeek,
pickled onions that were pickled by ancient Aunt Rosie,
mash,
some beetroot thing my aunt also made,
omg, there must have been more, but that's what I remember most.

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
We always had tongue on Boxing Day, if you'll pardon the expression.
I want to come to yours for boxing day!

Originally Posted by Bob
It's a case of booze and letting people fend for themselves on the left overs
yep...this!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

ok boxing day feast is now planned. Thanks to all for your suggestions, even if we got off topic a little. Going to either try to make scotch eggs or cheat and head into NYC for them.

For those of you in Jersey, went to The London Food Company's new place yesterday. They make fresh pies right in store (expensive as hell but smell nice) and they also have all your Christmas stuff in stock now (Although 800g Heroes were a tad expensive at $29).

I will make sure I post image of my feast after boxing day is done.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:57 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njmackem
I will make sure I post image of my feast after boxing day is done.
yeah,,.,,before you dig in!
Old Nov 24th 2011, 1:06 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

The boxing days I remember most fondly, we had left over cold turkey, cold sausages, bacon rolls as sandwiches or with baked potatoes, pickles etc. This before going to the nearest National Hunt meeting. We probably had bread and cheese and a beer when we got home, cold and damp and having enjoyed ourselves immensely.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 4:10 am
Lump Of Coal

GetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really nice

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
The boxing days I remember most fondly, we had left over cold turkey, cold sausages, bacon rolls as sandwiches or with baked potatoes, pickles etc. This before going to the nearest National Hunt meeting. We probably had bread and cheese and a beer when we got home, cold and damp and having enjoyed ourselves immensely.
Didn't anyone cook (or rather didn't anyones Mum/Gran cook) Turkey Pie?

I always remember Turkey pie on Boxing day, Turkey sandwich with cranberry sauce and for breakfast Bubble & Squeak from all the leftover veg...

mmmm... Turkey.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 4:08 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
This before going to the nearest National Hunt meeting.
Now you're really making me nostalgic! How I miss National Hunt!