Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Boxing Day Food

Boxing Day Food

Old Nov 15th 2011, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice
Default Boxing Day Food

Hi Guys.

After getting a lot of rubbish ideas of food on my football forum I am now coming to you all for help.

Holidays are coming up and I have invited my wife's American family over to the house for Boxing Day dinner. Now my memory of the event (its been a while due to Boxing Day Football and working) is that its normally finger foods and desserts in an almighty buffet style (with lots of cold turkey).

Need some suggestions on very British things to serve (My wife's grandma and great aunt are both old school Brits so do not want to disappoint).

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boxing Day Food

Originally Posted by njmackem
Hi Guys.

After getting a lot of rubbish ideas of food on my football forum I am now coming to you all for help.

Holidays are coming up and I have invited my wife's American family over to the house for Boxing Day dinner. Now my memory of the event (its been a while due to Boxing Day Football and working) is that its normally finger foods and desserts in an almighty buffet style (with lots of cold turkey).

Need some suggestions on very British things to serve (My wife's grandma and great aunt are both old school Brits so do not want to disappoint).

Thanks in advance
Scotch eggs
Quiche
Turkey
Ham
Pork Pies
Pickled Onions
Various sandwiches
Sherry Trifle
Chocolate Log
Mince Pies
Christmas Cake

We always had a large roast dinner...with roast pork, roasties and veg.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:05 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Boxing Day Food

Originally Posted by njmackem
Hi Guys.

Thanks in advance

What else but turkey curry LOL?!

Going off-topic: You should check out Oak Tree Road, Iselin, near Edison (same exit on the Garden State Parkway southbound as the Metropark). It's where all the Indian expats live....bit like a mini version of Southall, sari shops, gold shops, Indian video shops.....and lots of places to eat Indian curries! (the road is very long, drive for at least a couple of miles along it as you think there are no more Indian places to shop or eat and then you come across more of them).
Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

Originally Posted by Englishmum
What else but turkey curry LOL?!

Going off-topic: You should check out Oak Tree Road, Iselin, near Edison (same exit on the Garden State Parkway southbound as the Metropark). It's where all the Indian expats live....bit like a mini version of Southall, sari shops, gold shops, Indian video shops.....and lots of places to eat Indian curries! (the road is very long, drive for at least a couple of miles along it as you think there are no more Indian places to shop or eat and then you come across more of them).
I used to live just up from Southall when I was in Hillingdon. Went through it to get to work everyday.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:12 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Boxing Day Food

Oh - and if you want to follow JerseyGirl's suggestions, the best place to find British things will be in the West Village/Greenwich Village in NYC:

http://www.myersofkeswick.com/

http://www.teaandsympathynewyork.com..._groceries.php (they also operate an English cafe and the chip shop next door:

http://www.teaandsympathynewyork.com/home.php

http://www.asaltandbattery.com/
Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh - and if you want to follow JerseyGirl's suggestions, the best place to find British things will be in the West Village/Greenwich Village in NYC:

http://www.teaandsympathynewyork.com..._groceries.php (they also operate an English cafe and the chip shop next door:

Don't forget Gary's Wine Store in Madison and the Irish Shop in Bridgewater Mall are selling lots of UK Christmas goodies as well as regular UK goodies.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:18 pm

Smile Re: Boxing Day Food

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't forget Gary's Wine Store in Madison and the Irish Shop in Bridgewater Mall are selling lots of UK Christmas goodies as well as regular UK goodies.
Yeah but you won't get any pork pies there LOL!

Oooh I've got a craving for some nice bangers right now.....I'm going into NYC tomorrow, I'll have to get down to the West Village....
Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

ha ha ha I am a regular at all of the above.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yeah but you won't get any pork pies there LOL!

Oooh I've got a craving for some nice bangers right now.....I'm going into NYC tomorrow, I'll have to get down to the West Village....
I don't like pork pies anyway.

Have a good time in NYC...I'm going for a mammogram.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:51 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

We always had tongue on Boxing Day, if you'll pardon the expression.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 11:01 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm so jealous, I'd kill for a Scotch egg. No chance of getting one of those around here and I'm too afraid to try and make one.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's a case of booze and letting people fend for themselves on the left overs...perhaps provide some decent baps for sarnies, or chuck everything into a curry or pasty if you can be arsed...

Scotch eggs wouldn't be bad though...they aren't that hard to make, just a bit time consuming.

Sausage Rolls, they're easy enough to make and any left over bangers you can use to make the above

A ploughmans? You've already got the meat and veg, get some pickles and cheeses and should be golden.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:32 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
I'm so jealous, I'd kill for a Scotch egg. No chance of getting one of those around here and I'm too afraid to try and make one.
Here's a great recipe for Scotch Egg's, I made them and hey turned out perfectly.

http://www.nipponnin.com/2011/08/balls.html
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:05 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

We've made them before as well. Bit fiddly but worth it. We put them in the deep fat frier and then finished in the oven.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:32 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Here's a great recipe for Scotch Egg's, I made them and hey turned out perfectly.

http://www.nipponnin.com/2011/08/balls.html
Yummy, thanks. Maybe I'll give it a go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.