Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bought the car!

Bought the car!

Old Nov 17th 2006, 9:06 pm
  #1  
Loving the Pacific NW
Thread Starter
 
Boylerz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: From Kildare, Ireland to Vancouver, BC to Portland, Oregon
Posts: 98
Boylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud of
Default Bought the car!

Howya folks,

Just a message to say that I bought myself a new car. It is a 2006 Ford Taurus and cost $8,888 with 23k on the clock. I believe it is a bargain. It was a rental car. I bought it at the 3rd car dealership I visited. The first one I went was full of the slimballs that you guys have talked about. They had me in there for over 2 hours! I told them I didnt want to spend over 8k and they kept coming up with cars that cost 13,14,15k! My girlfriend was with and we started getting pissed off with how long they were taking so we said that we were going for a drive to get coffee and one of the salesmen wanted to come with us so we wouldnt drive off! I told him to f**k off with his slim tactics!!!

The dealership I bought the car from was soooooo much easier. The guys were just chilled out and down to earth and helpful. I went with co-ownership finance with my girlfriend as I was getting nowhere on my own due to zero credit history. We got a 7,300 loan (i paid the rest in cash) at 10.99% interest. My girlfriend has excellent credit and would have got the car at under 7% if she bought it on her own. I will look into refinaceing it next year when I build up some credit.

PS no sales tax in Oregon rocks!!!

Conor.
Boylerz is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2006, 9:18 pm
  #2  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 15,019
TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bought the car!

cheers good job done and safe driving with your new motor
TruBrit is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2006, 9:20 pm
  #3  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,773
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bought the car!

You want to watch out for ex-rentals...people tend to rag the shite out of them...at least make sure they do a full dealer type service on it before you taking home...the 30K mile service
Bob is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2006, 9:28 pm
  #4  
Loving the Pacific NW
Thread Starter
 
Boylerz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: From Kildare, Ireland to Vancouver, BC to Portland, Oregon
Posts: 98
Boylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bought the car!

Originally Posted by Bob
You want to watch out for ex-rentals...people tend to rag the shite out of them...at least make sure they do a full dealer type service on it before you taking home...the 30K mile service
Hi Bob,

Ye they did a full service. I have warranty up to 40k miles. I know rentals can be dodge and I had one for 2 months and "put the pedal to the metal a few times" but I think it is worth the risk and Fords tend to be solid.
Boylerz is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2006, 9:32 pm
  #5  
who turned out the light?
 
Irn-bru's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: WA
Posts: 7,997
Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bought the car!

glad you got it sorted eventually!
don't rub it in re sales tax ours is 8.8%!
Irn-bru is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2006, 11:12 pm
  #6  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,220
Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Bought the car!

F**ked
Often
Repaired
Daily
Rushman is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2006, 11:24 pm
  #7  
Mr. Grumpy
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 3,100
BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bought the car!

Originally Posted by Boylerz
Howya folks,

Just a message to say that I bought myself a new car. It is a 2006 Ford Taurus and cost $8,888 with 23k on the clock. I believe it is a bargain. It was a rental car. I bought it at the 3rd car dealership I visited. The first one I went was full of the slimballs that you guys have talked about. They had me in there for over 2 hours! I told them I didnt want to spend over 8k and they kept coming up with cars that cost 13,14,15k! My girlfriend was with and we started getting pissed off with how long they were taking so we said that we were going for a drive to get coffee and one of the salesmen wanted to come with us so we wouldnt drive off! I told him to f**k off with his slim tactics!!!.
Lets hope its not the 2006 Ford Taurus that I picked up from Logan airport at the beginning of the year. That had 46 miles on the clock and after being redlined pulling out of the rental car depot and having the shit thrashed out of it over 5 days and 800 miles it was not it great shape. brakes were fukked, steering was off, engine sounded asthmatic....
BritGuyTN is offline  
Old Nov 18th 2006, 12:50 am
  #8  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,220
Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Bought the car!

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Lets hope its not the 2006 Ford Taurus that I picked up from Logan airport at the beginning of the year. That had 46 miles on the clock and after being redlined pulling out of the rental car depot and having the shit thrashed out of it over 5 days and 800 miles it was not it great shape. brakes were fukked, steering was off, engine sounded asthmatic....
Good boy!!!
Rushman is offline  
Old Nov 18th 2006, 11:52 am
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: HMP Strangeways
Posts: 5,206
Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bought the car!

Originally Posted by Rushman
Good boy!!!
That's what I like to hear,someone with sympathy and understanding that it was a good buy for his money and he got a good deal.I think it is maybe jealousy that they didnt get a bargain !!
Dogbyte is offline  
Old Nov 18th 2006, 3:33 pm
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
britvic's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Mother Land.
Posts: 14,858
britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bought the car!

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
That's what I like to hear,someone with sympathy and understanding that it was a good buy for his money and he got a good deal.I think it is maybe jealousy that they didnt get a bargain !!
Rushy's a BM Man
britvic is offline  
Old Nov 18th 2006, 5:05 pm
  #11  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: HMP Strangeways
Posts: 5,206
Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bought the car!

Originally Posted by britvic
Rushy's a BM Man
I suppose Rushman will be grateful that BritGuyTN doesn't want to borrow his BM if he treats and drives his cars, as in how he described his trip in the Ford,
Dogbyte is offline  
Old Nov 18th 2006, 5:19 pm
  #12  
Banned
 
Lord Lionheart's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Santa Monica,CA from Birmingham, UK
Posts: 18,402
Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bought the car!

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
I suppose Rushman will be grateful that BritGuyTN doesn't want to borrow his BM if he treats and drives his cars, as in how he described his trip in the Ford,
No ones borrowing my BM, I just flush them. I have a 2006 Ford Taurus as a company car, good little cars. Nippy, roomy and ice cold A/C.................plus it's free, as are the gas and insurance
Lord Lionheart is offline  
Old Nov 18th 2006, 5:42 pm
  #13  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
britvic's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Mother Land.
Posts: 14,858
britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bought the car!

Originally Posted by lionheart
No ones borrowing my BM, I just flush them. I have a 2006 Ford Taurus as a company car, good little cars. Nippy, roomy and ice cold A/C.................plus it's free, as are the gas and insurance
Did you end up parting with one of your Jags Tom?
britvic is offline  
Old Nov 18th 2006, 5:46 pm
  #14  
Not living a 9 to 5 life
 
NC Penguin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,061
NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bought the car!

Originally Posted by Boylerz
Hi Bob,

Ye they did a full service. I have warranty up to 40k miles. I know rentals can be dodge and I had one for 2 months and "put the pedal to the metal a few times" but I think it is worth the risk and Fords tend to be solid.
Hahahahaha.... I hope it's true for you but in general Fords are unreliable. How many Fords do you see on the roads that are more than eight years old?


NC Penguin
NC Penguin is offline  
Old Nov 18th 2006, 5:48 pm
  #15  
Banned
 
Lord Lionheart's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Santa Monica,CA from Birmingham, UK
Posts: 18,402
Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bought the car!

Originally Posted by britvic
Did you end up parting with one of your Jags Tom?
No, we have 4 bloody cars. I did try to sell one of the Jags on E-bay but the highest bidder wanted to buy it for about 25% of the money that I've put into it. I'd rather let it sit there and rot
Lord Lionheart is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.