Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bloody CA Smog Test Beware Canadians!!

Bloody CA Smog Test Beware Canadians!!

Old Jun 28th 2007, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bloody CA Smog Test Beware Canadians!!

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
*Bling*!
It's Lush Bling, there is a difference
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:18 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Oh the car get this the actual Emission gadget that is required is $200 and GMC want $350 for the labor
Do you actually need to get it done by the manufacturer? If not, a local mechanic could be just as good/better and cheaper.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 2:27 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Do you actually need to get it done by the manufacturer? If not, a local mechanic could be just as good/better and cheaper.
I wish but the Air Resource center states that it has to be done by the actual manufactrer in my case GMC as you say it would be alot cheaper but I have to have the certificate that goes with it stamped by the manufacturing company BLOODY CRAP if you ask me.:curse:

If anyone knows different shout but thats what Barbi told me on the phone when I called.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 2:34 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I just smog tested my Texas car to get a CA license plate on it. It all went without a problem (I'm not sure how it can fail - my Jeep is 6 liters and must produce the CO2 emissions of a third world state). I live in the city and my zip code meant I had to have the more stringent test (I can't remember the name of it).
How did they find out your car was from Canada? The whole test involved me pulling up, then the guy plugged in to the engine management and stuck a sensor up the exhaust. I didn't have to have the rolling test as the Jeep is permanent 4 wheel drive.

:curse:So I decide to buy a new convertible and sell the 4x4 easy hey!! NOT:curse:

Drove my SUV from Illinois to California a few months back thought nothing of it but decided that the old weather did not constitute the use or need for a 4x4 so lets sell the little beaut ergh NO DEAL

I go to the Smog Center and find out that my GMC was originally from Canada1st I heard of it, anyways it cannot be smogged as I need to get a OBD 11 in other words it means a flippen rip of conversion.

For those of you that bring a car or into California on out of State plates or worse Canada (my tags were Illinois but origin Canada) you cannot sell your car/truck until its smogged you can sell it if it is not registered in CA but check the back history of the car 1st
I thought never even entered my head hence $550 conversion to get the damn GMC Oked to sell:curse:

Last edited by Pony; Jun 29th 2007 at 2:36 am.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 2:54 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
I just smog tested my Texas car to get a CA license plate on it. It all went without a problem (I'm not sure how it can fail - my Jeep is 6 liters and must produce the CO2 emissions of a third world state). I live in the city and my zip code meant I had to have the more stringent test (I can't remember the name of it).
How did they find out your car was from Canada? The whole test involved me pulling up, then the guy plugged in to the engine management and stuck a sensor up the exhaust. I didn't have to have the rolling test as the Jeep is permanent 4 wheel drive.
We took it to be smogged in Sacramento and the mechanic said look at this and he showed us the printout for the VIN number and said that the car originated in Canada it was is a GMC Canada.

Your jeep probably has the right emmsion fitting my SUV doesn't
Old Jun 29th 2007, 2:58 am

We took it to be smogged in Sacramento and the mechanic said look at this and he showed us the printout for the VIN number and said that the car originated in Canada it was is a GMC Canada.

Your jeep probably has the right emmsion fitting my SUV doesn't
I might add the the mechanic did say that the truck/suv would pass but as it was canadian he had to process the right paper work I think I am getting the bloody run around to be honest.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Pony
http://www.dui.com/states/california.../smog_law.html