Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Black History Month

Black History Month

Old Mar 6th 2006, 9:10 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black History Month

Originally Posted by Boiler
I lost it in the second line.

Paragraphs always help.
I was being a bit kind.....
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:22 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I was being a bit kind.....

Were you now? Got abit carried away when I saw this thread.It made me register and that seldom happens to me online. Any way down with racism, up with proper paragraphs and semi colons,and the occasional period when ending a sentence.

There, see I can be equally kind. In any case, I'm an American from the northeast,Jersey to be exact. Stumbbled on to this interesting website because of my search for info about living in Europe. I will soon post a thread to inquire about it.

I was caught off guard by some of the opinions in here which appear to believe that ignoring our difference some how makes everything all right between the various ethnicities. Being that I have a PHD in African Americans studies, I had to register my opinion on the subject.Well not a real PHD, but trust me life experience as a African American merits doctorate knowledge.

You know when talking about these serious subjects I like to enjoy a cold beer with those in the discussion. Any one up for a Miller or a Budweiser? Anything but one of those dark warm beers, I've heard about them.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 11:55 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

I've stayed out of this thread because I do believe (in their defense) that the European experience shades most of the posters viewpoints. They do not have the appalling history (with regard to people of African descent) that we have here in the US and are operating from a completely different place. I think they are good people but unless one has grown up immersed in social and institutionalized racism, they really don't know how insidious it really is.

I completely agree with everything you've posted.

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Were you now? Got abit carried away when I saw this thread.It made me register and that seldom happens to me online. Any way down with racism, up with proper paragraphs and semi colons,and the occasional period when ending a sentence.

There, see I can be equally kind. In any case, I'm an American from the northeast,Jersey to be exact. Stumbbled on to this interesting website because of my search for info about living in Europe. I will soon post a thread to inquire about it.

I was caught off guard by some of the opinions in here which appear to believe that ignoring our difference some how makes everything all right between the various ethnicities. Being that I have a PHD in African Americans studies, I had to register my opinion on the subject.Well not a real PHD, but trust me life experience as a African American merits doctorate knowledge.

You know when talking about these serious subjects I like to enjoy a cold beer with those in the discussion. Any one up for a Miller or a Budweiser? Anything but one of those dark warm beers, I've heard about them.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 12:07 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Thank you.

I've stayed out of this thread because I do believe (in their defense) that the European experience shades most of the posters viewpoints. They do not have the appalling history (with regard to people of African descent) that we have here in the US and are operating from a completely different place. I think they are good people but unless one has grown up immersed in social and institutionalized racism, they really don't know how insidious it really is.

Thank You both, this thread had really begun to depress me
Old Mar 7th 2006, 12:43 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Thank You both, this thread had really begun to depress me
It'll be ok. Tomorrow is another day.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

Are you and Yankee advocating dual cultures then?

Because that seems to be what's happening.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 1:51 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

How is appreciating a culture advocating dual cultures?

However, I'm not suggesting African Americans assimilate and become more "white" if that's what you mean. It seems that is what you are advocating. Should we somehow ignore the fact that black folks were forced (by the letter of the law) to develop their own separate culture because of segregation. Their history is different than mine. I'm sorry if you don't see that.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

How is appreciating a culture advocating dual cultures?

However, I'm not suggesting African Americans assimilate and become more "white" if that's what you mean. It seems that is what you are advocating. Should we somehow ignore the fact that black folks were forced (by the letter of the law) to develop their own separate culture because of segregation. Their history is different than mine. I'm sorry if you don't see that.
No, I'm saying that when we define something as "Black", i.e. BET or "Black" movies, then we also create a subculture and therefore it promotes segregation.

You're talking about the past, times have changed; now's the time we should be looking to create a single culture in America, one that's diverse but also integrated.

I don't think that will make anyone more "white"; maybe we're advocating the same thing?
Old Mar 7th 2006, 2:00 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

No, I'm saying that when we define something as "Black", i.e. BET or "Black" movies, then we also create a subculture and therefore it promotes segregation.

You're talking about the past, times have changed; now's the time we should be looking to create a single culture in America, one that's diverse but also integrated.

I don't think that will make anyone more "white".
The US is not that advanced yet - that's the point. It probably is much, much better than it was 20 years ago but the shift is bound to take time.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

How about multiculturalism?
Old Mar 7th 2006, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by neil
The US is not that advanced yet - that's the point. It probably is much, much better than it was 20 years ago but the shift is bound to take time.
You're probably right - I still hear "white" people <cringe> and "Hispanic" people <cringe> moaning about "black" people <cringe> all the time.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Celsius
How about multiculturalism?
That would be fine if they weren't so prejudiced against each other
Old Mar 7th 2006, 2:15 pm
WTF?

I don't think that will make anyone more "white"; maybe we're advocating the same thing?
I really don't see how remembering the past promotes segregation. Intolerance and prejudice promote segregation.

Slavery was abolished 141 years ago. However, segregation (the situation where there was a different set of laws for white people and black people) only began to be dismantled approximately 40 years ago. The process of de-segregation was only partially successful and is far from complete. Segregation is more recent than the Holocaust. At what point shall we tell the Jews to stop bringing up the Holocaust because it's in the past and times have changed?
Old Mar 7th 2006, 2:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Is this offensive????????
Attached Thumbnails Black History Month-golli.jpg  
Old Mar 7th 2006, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I really don't see how remembering the past promotes segregation. Intolerance and prejudice promote segregation.

Slavery was abolished 141 years ago. However, segregation (the situation where there was a different set of laws for white people and black people) only began to be dismantled approximately 40 years ago. The process of de-segregation was only partially successful and is far from complete. Segregation is more recent than the Holocaust. At what point shall we tell the Jews to stop bringing up the Holocaust because it's in the past and times have changed?
I didn't say don't remember it; I would have thought it's beneficial for everyone to learn the wrongs of slavery and segregation, no matter what time of the year it is!

But as someone else mentioned, the US tends to only teach it's 'good' history.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.