British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Black History Month (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/black-history-month-358405/)

Guelder Rose Mar 1st 2006 3:07 pm

Black History Month
 
Does anyone here have their children coming home with some strange stories about what they have been taught in school about black history?

Last year my daughter was taught that the English people think they are better than black Americans. This year my son learnt that the reason that black people were used as slaves was because they were not Christians ... and whilst being used as slaves were taught about Christianity by the white people and thus got their rights?

To be honest, I don't really understand the need to devote a whole month of each year to this?

Angry White Pyjamas Mar 1st 2006 3:12 pm

Re: Black History Month
 

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
Does anyone here have their children coming home with some strange stories about what they have been taught in school about black history?

Last year my daughter was taught that the English people think they are better than black Americans. This year my son learnt that the reason that black people were used as slaves was because they were not Christians ... and whilst being used as slaves were taught about Christianity by the white people and thus got their rights?

To be honest, I don't really understand the need to devote a whole month of each year to this?


Its a load of PC codswallop designed to promote racism and deflect from the truth IMHO. As far as I can tell it's as far removed from telling kids the actual truth about Black American history (such as how appallingly they were treated) as can be.

Celtic_Angel Mar 1st 2006 3:14 pm

Re: Black History Month
 

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
Does anyone here have their children coming home with some strange stories about what they have been taught in school about black history?

Last year my daughter was taught that the English people think they are better than black Americans. This year my son learnt that the reason that black people were used as slaves was because they were not Christians ... and whilst being used as slaves were taught about Christianity by the white people and thus got their rights?

To be honest, I don't really understand the need to devote a whole month of each year to this?

get used to it...it's not going to change and gets worse if your kid has a black teacher...my daughter while in first grade had to write a graded report on MLking......and that was in January ..Feb was worse!! :rolleyes: :D

This month it's just been Black People in History, no graded reports..but the teacher this year is a white Jewish woman :D

Jaxbar Mar 1st 2006 3:23 pm

Re: Black History Month
 
I'm really sad to hear these comments, I'm sure there must be some positive things that come from it. Celebrating the fact that black people are a positive part of history rather that writing them out of it can't be a bad thing. I have been to events that have been a lot of fun, non preachy and very uplifting.

anotherlimey Mar 1st 2006 3:31 pm

Re: Black History Month
 

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
I'm really sad to hear these comments, I'm sure there must be some positive things that come from it. Celebrating the fact that black people are a positive part of history rather that writing them out of it can't be a bad thing. I have been to events that have been a lot of fun, non preachy and very uplifting.

I agree with AWP; any part of "Black" history that is worth kids learning should be taught as part of the regular curriculum - as American/African history.

IMO the money - used to put up posters etc - would be better spent on sending Black youths to universities.

Guelder Rose Mar 1st 2006 3:31 pm

Re: Black History Month
 

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Its a load of PC codswallop designed to promote racism and deflect from the truth IMHO. As far as I can tell it's as far removed from telling kids the actual truth about Black American history (such as how appallingly they were treated) as can be.

That's exactly how I feel about it ... that the way in which they seem to teach this subject promotes racism.

My daughter is only 8 years old, and if the schools did not go on and on about how black people were treated so badly by white people, especially white English people, she would have no idea that skin colour made a difference! I don't have anything against teaching the subject, it's just that such a big deal is made of it in this country ... and it all seems to be negative. Or maybe it's just me .. in that I get upset when she tells me that her teacher has yet again told her how terrible we are!!

BigDavyG Mar 1st 2006 3:40 pm

Re: Black History Month
 

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
I'm really sad to hear these comments, I'm sure there must be some positive things that come from it. Celebrating the fact that black people are a positive part of history rather that writing them out of it can't be a bad thing. I have been to events that have been a lot of fun, non preachy and very uplifting.

Who said anything about writing black people out of history ?? :confused:
If that's happening it is plain wrong.

People's achievements need to be celebrated if they are worthy regardless of their skin colour.

On a related subject my employer constantly puts itself forward for awards like top place for black women to work, top place for latinos, etc.
I don't understand this - its either a good place to work or it isn't. What would make it a good place for a black woman and not a good place for me ?? :confused:

Angry White Pyjamas Mar 1st 2006 4:00 pm

Re: Black History Month
 

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Who said anything about writing black people out of history ?? :confused:
If that's happening it is plain wrong.

People's achievements need to be celebrated if they are worthy regardless of their skin colour.

On a related subject my employer constantly puts itself forward for awards like top place for black women to work, top place for latinos, etc.
I don't understand this - its either a good place to work or it isn't. What would make it a good place for a black woman and not a good place for me ?? :confused:

Male strippers on the company every lunch break?

BigDavyG Mar 1st 2006 4:04 pm

Re: Black History Month
 

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Male strippers on the company every lunch break?

Ok - fair point

Celtic_Angel Mar 1st 2006 4:35 pm

Re: Black History Month
 

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
I'm really sad to hear these comments, I'm sure there must be some positive things that come from it. Celebrating the fact that black people are a positive part of history rather that writing them out of it can't be a bad thing. I have been to events that have been a lot of fun, non preachy and very uplifting.

I think the point is it continues to segregate blacks from whites...and some teachers are more militant about it than others....for many it can continue to keep the hate alive if you will...can't we just get on with teaching the kids the 3 R's.....i mean my sons handwriting was awful..I told him great story you're handwriting is very messy...he said the teacher said it didn't matter...wtf :confused:

And considering how young the country is don't you think they make the kids(elementary school age) learn far too much U.S History...I don't care which Pres was born in a log cabin ffs :rolleyes: :p

Bob Mar 1st 2006 5:06 pm

Re: Black History Month
 
It's a load of shite really, to depress the masses....can't see anyone allowing white history month, or yellow history month etc...so this shouldn't be any different.

Partystar Mar 1st 2006 6:27 pm

Re: Black History Month
 
To me, it's just another good reason not to send my kid to school here. Racism was never apparent to me when I was at school, but I hardly ever see a black kid around here, actually I never see any other minority around my area, maybe that's why they consider it 'such a nice place to live'?!?! :rolleyes:

Recently I've been looking at houses in an area, which is apparently 'mainly occupied by Mexicans'. I'm white & people were looking at me as if I were crazy to want to live there. I just don't get it. Everyone tries to be so bloody PC about everything here, except when it comes to racism. :mad:

LeedsGirl Mar 1st 2006 6:34 pm

Re: Black History Month
 

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
Does anyone here have their children coming home with some strange stories about what they have been taught in school about black history?

Last year my daughter was taught that the English people think they are better than black Americans. This year my son learnt that the reason that black people were used as slaves was because they were not Christians ... and whilst being used as slaves were taught about Christianity by the white people and thus got their rights?

To be honest, I don't really understand the need to devote a whole month of each year to this?

My daughter is in 4th Grade and the only thing she has done was an essay on MLK, apart from that nothing for BHM. She is however, doing a huge project on the California Missions and the impact it had on Native Americans/Indians (which ever is PC). I think the mission project is mandatory for California schools.

Sarah Mar 1st 2006 6:51 pm

Re: Black History Month
 
I'd like to know if there are any people except whites in this forum and what they think about it all.

BigDavyG Mar 1st 2006 6:52 pm

Re: Black History Month
 

Originally Posted by Sarah
I'd like to know if there are any people except whites in this forum and what they think about it all.

Racist


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:10 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.